Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, first off just wanna say hi.

ok, so i currently am a Connecticut resident, have been for all 19 years of my life. i'll be moving into Mass next year with my girlfriend who will be going to UMASS, so i am gonna be living in Amherst, i plan on staying there for a while becoming a MA resident and what not. my question is, what are the rules for enrolling in academy in mass? will i even be able to? in connecticut you need to be 21 and i read somewhere (at least i think i did) that in Massachusetts you could be 19, but maybe it was just to begin testing, because i know in connecticut you can, but cant enter academy until 21.

anyways, if anyone who can give me some information or point me in the right direction, it would be GREATLY appreciated. I plan on moving there in mid July to August. oh and i turn 20 in November if thats of any matter

Thanks,
-Brian

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
New law in Mass is you now have to be 21 years old.

Mass is regarded as Assachusetts by LEOs who work here. Best bet stay in Connecticut you will probably get a better shot to behired. :2c:

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replies, appreciate it

unfortunately i feel im gonna be staying in "Assachusetts" so ill take it as it comes lol

nah im not from Fairfield, i live in Hebron which is about 25 minutes east of hartford...small town. fairfield is roughly 90 minutes or so away

·
Undefined
2,255 Posts
Hey Brian,
Stay positive. It's not easy but it will happen if you stay active in your persuit for the job you want, keep yourself in shape and with a CJ type job. Talk to everyone because conections are HUGE. Also take every test even if you don't think you would want that job now.....who knows what you'll want in 2 or 3 years when that agency comes to you and says "hey, want a job?", you'll then have the option to turn THEM down if you aren't intrested.
Best of luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the support

i do have a good amount of connections between a few of my football coaches and family friends...2 of my coaches are U.S. Marshalls and have a family friend in the FBI and my strength trainer is also an Officer...so ive got a fair idea of what i need to do, now i just need to do it

originally i was going to join the military in hopes of being an MP but that fell through because of the girlfriend, yea yea that old story...anyways i got some thinkin to do definitely

my coach thats an officer in enfield, CT was telling me i can begin testing early next year when im 20 so i'll probaly end up just doing that...i dunno

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
Well if you are gonna wate time in MA, it might as well be in the Western part of the state. a lot of non-civil sevice towns out there, its a hole but it is the easiest place to start in my opinion from spending 4 yrs out there. Getting sponsored to the f/t academy is not all that hard if you are a p/time officer in a wmass town. I guess the trick is getting the res/int academy, I suggest you send some kind of inquiry to all the small depts in Franklin and Hampshire Counties a lot of those chiefs will sponsor thier p/time officers on thier dime, and you wont get in as a self sponsor now unless you appointed with a P.D in some capacity. Its what I did and I added to my experience and landed the f/t academy rather easily.

Good luck

Now heres the real advice, stay away from MA and go south young skywalker

·
Out of the Loop
2,512 Posts
Decide what's more important to you. Your career or your personal life. Sometimes you can't have both. That doesn't mean either one may be the wrong choice... you should just figure out which one will be more beneficial to you in the long run.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
BKisner";p="62938 said:
hrmmm

i should take the easy way out and become a single man again

cant do that though
Awww that's cute. You'll end up doing what makes you both happy. You have to come to a compromise or else the two of you won't be happy together in the long run. Trust me on this one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.