Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Movie Reviews

29K views 218 replies 36 participants last post by  IrishCop 
#1 ·
I am movie fanatic and since most of us are propably into the same types of movies, I thought it would be interesting to start a "movie review" thread. I will start.

ROBIN HOOD with Russell Crowe was done very well, compared to Kevin Costner version it was well, no comparison it was ten times better. They made it very real to the time, it was a pre amble to how he became Robin Hood instead of a movie about his adventures as Robin Hood. Im not sure if they did that to lead into a Part 2 but I liked the way Ridley Scott made the movie and I found it to be somewhat ironic to the times we are living in anti govt, taxes, the little guy against the govt. I would give in an 8.

#2 ·
While I can appreciate your opinion on this movie , sadly I have not seen it. As for the Kev Koz version, I have not seen that one either. I do however HATE most things he is in! My opinion of the best all time Robin Hood movie has absolutely got to be, "Robin Hood Men In Tights"!!!! Two thumbs up!

#3 ·
I am movie fanatic and since most of us are propably into the same types of movies, I thought it would be interesting to start a "movie review" thread. I will start.

ROBIN HOOD with Russell Crowe was done very well...
I saw this last week and I agree! From beginnng to end is was action packed. The final scene towards the end was great, kinda reminded me of the d-day landings but year 1100 style-you'll have to see it to understand what I mean!

#4 ·
My opinion of the best all time Robin Hood movie has absolutely got to be, "Robin Hood Men In Tights"!!!! Two thumbs up!
What part of your movie was your favorite, fra? The part about Robin Hood, or the part about Men in Tights?

#5 ·

ROBIN HOOD with Russell Crowe was done very well, compared to Kevin Costner version it was well, no comparison it was ten times better. They made it very real to the time, it was a pre amble to how he became Robin Hood instead of a movie about his adventures as Robin Hood. Im not sure if they did that to lead into a Part 2 but I liked the way Ridley Scott made the movie and I found it to be somewhat ironic to the times we are living in anti govt, taxes, the little guy against the govt. I would give in an 8.
No question, I saw SEQUAL written all over it, and I look forward to it. The portrayal of the sheriff was priceless.

---------- Post added at 00:43 ---------- Previous post was at 00:41 ----------

While I can appreciate your opinion on this movie , sadly I have not seen it. As for the Kev Koz version, I have not seen that one either. I do however HATE most things he is in! My opinion of the best all time Robin Hood movie has absolutely got to be, "Robin Hood Men In Tights"!!!! Two thumbs up!
fra, dear fra, I gotta disagree with ya on that. I felt Mel Brooks fell flat with that one. I almost cried I found it so bad. Brooks is a genius, but that movie...almost like he ran out of ideas and scraped the bottom of the barrell.

Russell Crowe and Ridley Scott have a good thing going (ala Scorcese and DiNiro) and I hope they keep up the collaborations.

#6 ·
I like all movies, new old, b&w, color, as long as it's a good movie and the subject interests me.

What scares me is sometimes I'll see a movie that I should hate, yet I like it. Best example was "Flashdance". Sure, the star was a babe, but that wasn't the reason I liked it. I don't even know to this day WHY I liked it but I left the theatre with a smile. It was kind of a dumb movie and why in hell would any guy get turned on by the dancing done in that club, NO ONE GOT NAKED! Yet, I enjoyed it.

There's my latest review. C'MON 7, you started this thread, what else ya got?

#8 ·
European Road Trip was much funnier than I had expected. Fred Armisen as the bizzare Italian guy was the best part of that movie though the British Soccer Hooligans were damn funny as well, Mate!

#12 ·
So last night, the girl wanted to go see a movie. She picked A Solitary Man starring Michael Douglas, playing at the West-Newton theatre. As we are in line for our tickets, we see a flyer about another movie playing there called Harry Brown starring Michael Caine. The flyer said "This movie contains strong, brutal violence. Refunds will not be given, and no tickets may be exchanged" We looked at eachother and said "lets see it!"
Its basically the British version of Death Wish, with Michael Caine as Charles Bronson. The story has been done before, but the movie did not dissapoint and Michael Caine is awesome. He's no superhero, just a pretty frail elderly man. Former Royal Marine who fought in Northern Ireland and recent widower, he finally decides he's had enough of the gangs plaguing his housing project. Here are a few of the better scenes:
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n1-InCRsoI&feature=related"]YouTube- Harry Brown : Cannabis factory/Gun purchase clip.[/nomedia]
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5al960HENuQ&feature=related"]YouTube- [HD] Harry Brown(2009) - Subway Scene[/nomedia]

Don't know where else its playing, but its definitely worth watching!

#13 ·
HUSH, Now, I've gotta see this movie. Michael Cain is one of my favorites and any movie that shows people fed up with crime is OK with me. I don't endorse vigilantism, but the victims of crime gotta have a feel good movie too, right?

Even M.C.'s bad movies have been worth watching. His "ITALIAN JOB" far outstrips the remake by MILES.

G
#14 ·
Speaking of movies about people fed up w/ crime-- Gran Torino starring Clint Eastwood. Probably one of his best films ever.

Hubby and I just recently watched Shutter Island. I gotta say, I was a little disappointed. The storyline was good, acting was excellent, but the previews definitely made it out to be something it's not. It came across as a suspense-thriller type, but it had just a fair amount of suspense, and pretty much no thriller. Without giving away the ending, I'll just say I was upset that after a 2-hr commitment to the story and rooting for the characters, it lacked the climactic ending I was hoping for. Overall, good movie, but I'm glad we saw it on demand instead of wasting the money in a theater.

For such a rare occasion that we get to actually sit and watch a movie together, we should have picked one of our other top choices: Edge of Darkness or The Men Who Stare at Goats.

#15 ·
My wife and I just watched a couple of older flicks, Identity (2003, Netflix). S_U_C_K_E_D
The acting was poor and the "twist" at the end was predictable.

Also, for you political junkies, The Contender (2000, Netflix) was great.

Its basically the British version of Death Wish, with Michael Caine as Charles Bronson.
Oh I have to see this. Love the DW flicks. Especially #3.
HE KILLED THE GIGGLER!!

#16 ·
For such a rare occasion that we get to actually sit and watch a movie together, we should have picked one of our other top choices: Edge of Darkness or The Men Who Stare at Goats.[/QUOTE]

The Men Who Stare at Goats was terrible. It isn't even worth watching. Edge of Darkness was pretty good although Mel Gibson's accent gets annoying in the film and it is very inconsistent. It is a terrible fake Boston accent.

#17 ·
anyone else out there seen "Recount" about the 2000 election and the battle in Florida. It's pretty balanced and fun to watch all the insane bullshit that went on. It also had a terrific ending (besides BUSH WINNING!). The end credits rolled showing actual footage of the events depicted in the film accompanied by "I Won't Back Down" by Tom Petty.

Really enjoyable.

I liked "Shutter Island" and though it was a surprise ending I didn't see coming, I did have mixed feelings, but wasn't really disappointed.

#18 ·
Heading out to see Restrepro tomorrow. Documentary filmed in A-Stan by Sebastian Junger. Playing in Kendall Sq only looks like, Ill post a review when I see it!
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DjqR6OucBc"]YouTube- "Restrepo" Trailer[/nomedia]
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCPnJaxC17o&feature=related"]YouTube- Restrepo Trailer HD[/nomedia]
Restrepo :: rogerebert.com :: Reviews

#19 ·
I pulled out an oldie but a goodie yesterday "Snatch" with Brad Pitt and Jason Statham made by Guy Ritchie. Im not a huge Pitt or Statham fan but in this film they are awesome, Ritchie has a way of making a film and uses his actors very well , supporting actors Dennis Farina and Benecio Del Toro and VinnieJones were good, this is a difficult movie to follow with the plot and the"pikey" language hard to understand but if you get it I am sure you will like it. Other Guy Ritchie movies that I recommend are Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels , Rock N Rolla, and Revolver which was fantastic.

#22 ·
I just watched DIstrict 9 the other day. Special effects were great but the movie was just ok. It just wasn't at all what I expected it to be.

ALso just saw Avatar the other day. GREAT GREAT MOVIE!!!
Like Avatar, didnt like the anti US Military theme. I liked DIstrict 9 alot actually, very original and unlike any other film I have seen. On a side note the main character in District 9 played Murdoc in The A Team.

#23 ·
I pulled out an oldie but a goodie yesterday "Snatch" with Brad Pitt and Jason Statham made by Guy Ritchie. Im not a huge Pitt or Statham fan but in this film they are awesome, Ritchie has a way of making a film and uses his actors very well , supporting actors Dennis Farina and Benecio Del Toro and VinnieJones were good, this is a difficult movie to follow with the plot and the"pikey" language hard to understand but if you get it I am sure you will like it. Other Guy Ritchie movies that I recommend are Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels , Rock N Rolla, and Revolver which was fantastic.
"Snatch" is a terrific movie. I've grown fond of the English gangster movies myself. Brad Pitt always surprises me. I was going to write him off along with Leonardo DiCaprio as just a couple of no-talent pretty boys, but especially DiCaprio, there's a shit load of talent there.

#24 ·
Like Avatar, didnt like the anti US Military theme. I liked DIstrict 9 alot actually, very original and unlike any other film I have seen. On a side note the main character in District 9 played Murdoc in The A Team.
I tried to not pay attention to the political issues that were in the movie and just enjoyed it for the entertainment value of it.

I haven't seen the A Team yet. Any good?

#25 ·
If you can stand the accents in those British movies, Layer Cake is a great watch!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.