Movie Reviews | Page 7 | MassCops

Movie Reviews

Discussion in 'Entertainment & Literature' started by 7costanza, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Searched through the box of old VHS tapes I have in the basement, and watched The Final Countdown tonight. The plot is that the nuclear-powered aircraft carrier USS Nimitz sails through a space-time vortex and is transported back to December 6th, 1941. The obvious moral dilemma for the commander of the Nimitz (Kirk Douglas) is whether to use the might of his ship and aircraft to destroy the Japanese strike force headed for Pearl Harbor. There are some funny quotes; Kirk Douglas; "We will follow the orders of the Commander-in-Chief of the United States of America". Executive Officer; "Franklin Delano Roosevelt?"

Clip of the movie where the F-14 combat air patrol of the Nimitz encounters a couple of Japanese Zero fighters that strafe a civilian yacht;

YouTube - ‪Final Countdown dog fight scene‬‏

2. rg1283

rg1283 MassCops Member

That movie I saw on cable TV a few years ago it was cool seeing an all Gruman Navy

3. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

"The Final Countdown" was a pretty interesting movie. Aside from the obvious entertainment value, how they dealt with the dilema was fun to watch. Sure, about as an IMPROBABLE scenario as you'll ever get, but damn fun to watch.

I just watched a movie on HD Movie Net called "The Perfect Host" with David Hyde Pierce. What a terrific movie that I had NEVER heard of. Plenty of neat twists and turns and at times funny. DHP should get more rolls than he does. Sure, he'll always be a bit persnickity, no matter what or who he plays, but he's really great to watch.

4. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

Just saw Larry Crowne with Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts and thought it was a pretty good movie. George Takai (Mr Sulu) kinda stole the show in the minor role that he had.

I've enjoyed the vast majority of Tom Hanks' work since the mid 90s and this adds to the list.

5. Kilvinsky

I refuse to see the new version. The original is a classic. The cutting shots between the garden party and the interrogation show are priceless and Lawrence Harvey is perfect in the roll. As for The Chairman of the Board, the man could sing, the man could act and no doubt, with just enough prayer, three miracles could be performed in no time and he could be a saint!

Ok, maybe not a saint, but man, what a guy!

6. BRION24

BRION24 Supporting Member

Watched True Grit (the new one) and it was great. Anyone who loves Westerns will love it.

Also watched No Strings Attached (with the wife) and it was not good. Very predictable romantic comedy. At least Natalie Portman is Hot.

7. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

One of my favorites is on at 5 on AMC...Magnum Force

8. Kilvinsky

I route for Harry over the bike cops, but man, what a dilema. Terrific movie, not as classic as the first Dirty Harry, but far ahead of the others, though with Harry Callahan, they're ALL good.

9. Kilvinsky

I watched "The Informant!" last night, not to be confused with "The Informer" with Victor McLaughlin about an IRA informant. Definate difference.

Anyway, it was a pretty damn good movie, informative and funny. One thing I did take away from it, for all you "American Grafitti" fans out there (of which I am DEFINATELY ONE), Candy Clark at 63 looks FANTASTIC! Wow, I can't say that about too many woman of that age, even though I'm approaching it slowly, but she's a BABE! You kids under 40 won't appreciate that no doubt, ya whippersnappers.

That's all. Good movie.

10. gm7988

gm7988 MassCops Member

I went to Horrible Bosses over the the weekend.

Pretty funny movie all around. Jennifer Anniston is smoking hot and says some unbelievably dirty things in the movie. All in all the characters are pretty funny though I think they could have done a lot more with the movie, my guess is the unrated version on DVD will be better. I definitely recommend it if you're looking for a good cheap laugh.

11. Kilvinsky

In a movie called "Employee of the Month" (there are two out there-this one has Matt Dillon) Jenna Fisher from "The Office" plays a hooker who is sent to Matt Dillon's room to cheer him up. I was FLABERGASTED by the things this sweet innocent young lady was saying. I was in such shock, I had to watch that scene about 6 times to be sure of what I was hearing! Once I was sure, I watched it a few more times just for fun.

Today I watched an Israeli movie called "Lebanon". If you like intense war movies and don't mind reading throughout, check this out. It was on Encore Drama last night and should be on again, but to be honest, I didn't check. I can't say I liked how it ended since it ended without an end....if that makes sense, but very good movie in which an Israeli tank crew follows a group of paratroopers in the 1982 Lebanon War though a small town.

One thing that makes it intense, though you see through the scopes what they are looking at, the entire movie takes place IN the tank.

Men are steel, the tank is only iron.

12. Kilvinsky

Ok, another one. "The Maiden Heist". Watched it last night. Nice little movie about three Boston Art Museum security guards who upon finding out their favorite pieces are to be shipped to Denmark, decide to take them for themselves. Funny stuff, starring Christopher Walken, Morgan Freeman and William H. Macy.

Even my folks (puritans at heart) could enjoy this film, so it's safe to watch with anyone, unless the sight of William H. Macy's butt might offend you.

13. Hush

DRIVE is a must watch. Very evocative of early Michael Mann. Dark and well done.

14. Hush

COURAGEOUS Movie Trailer - YouTubeC
    Courageous. Haven't seen it yet, but it looks good (if not a little too wholesome, not a bad thing)
    As of today, only playing in Boston, Lawrence, and Danvers...might go check it out on my day off.

15. 7costanza

7costanza Supporting Member

Movies I loved, DRIVE, BRIDESMAIDS, BLITZ, HORRIBLE BOSSES, KILLER ELITE.

16. LGriffin

LGriffin Always Watching

We just watched The Town last night, directed, written and starring Ben Affleck and Jeremy Renner from The Hurt Locker, another movie that I highly recommended. As you may know, The Town is about a Boston bank robber who doesn't really want to be a bad guy but was raised into a life of crime that he can't escape. I think it was worth the watch and the cast did a pretty good job with the dropped r's and general "badassness," unlike some other reproductions (Sean Penn & Tim Robbins in Mystic River, Alec Baldwin in The Departed, Kevin Costner in JFK, Diane Lane in Perfect Storm and Tom Hanks in Catch Me if you Can).

For the ladies, there are a couple of guys in this that are very easy on the eyes, including this little filet:
    [​IMG]

17. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Saw it last night....not bad overall, but WAY too preachy & religious for my taste. I felt like I was at a Baptist revival a couple of times, the religious messages was so over-the-top.

They did do a good job with the technical aspects of police work, especially the ball-busting that goes on at roll call and on the street.

18. Kilvinsky

It LOOKS like a preachy movie, but I'm curious now. I don't mind preachy, sometimes I actually appreciate it just so long as it's presented in a way that's a bit subtle. I'll get the message, just please don't hit me over the head until I'm black and blue.

On the other end of the, "Horrible Bosses" is pretty funny. I wasn't dying laughing, but it was good and no matter what we do for a living, we can sometimes see one of these two guys as our boss.

Jennifer Anniston hitting on me would be, not sexual harrassment, but a DAMN BLESSING! Worth seeing for that.

19. 7costanza

Nothing can turn me off faster than religion .

20. Kilvinsky

Watched the 2nd and 3rd parts of "PROHIBITION" on PBS last night. I had seen Pt. 1 earlier last week. What a terrific show. Ok, not a MOVIE per se, but close enough, a FILM by Ken Burns.

A couple of interesting points.

1) The "Drys" came up with the idea of 'income tax' so the government didn't have to rely on the taxation of booze and would have no argument about keeping booze for revenue.

2) Al Smith, a ROMAN CATHOLIC Democrat ran twice for president having the REPEAL of prohibition a big part of his platform. (He didn't get the nomination the first time)

3) The Klu Klux Klan was a staunch proponent of prohibition.

4) Republicans helped push it through, Democrats pushed it out. I guess the Democrats weren't always bad.

Terrific show, if you like to partake now and then and if you enjoy history, check it out. A typical Ken Burns masterpiece.

21. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Put it this way; they practically write the religious message on a sign, then smash you over the head with it repeatedly.

As I said, it wasn't a bad movie overall.....entertaining and quite funny in some spots. Once scene shows a deputy talking with his wife, and the sheriff calls on the other line. He says "I have to take this honey, I'll see you after work. I love you", then takes the call from the sheriff.

As he ends the call with the sheriff, the deputy says "I love you", hangs up, then says "No, no....crap". Should I call him back?" and his partner says "Why, to tell him you don't?"

22. 7costanza

Another great trilogy was the series The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo...awesome movies.

23. 7costanza

I saw that new flick with Justin Timberlake Time I think it was called. I thought it was well done, good plot, decent acting, I give it a 7.

24. Kilvinsky

That movie does look interesting, sort of a different take on "Logan's Run" which I've never seen. Justin Timberlake has really impressed me over the years. I'm still not big on his music, but his acting is suprisingly good and he's been a howl in Saturday Night Live! I have lots of respect for those who can easilly make fun of themselves and their public personna and he's done that time and time again, and it seems sincere, unlike......oh God, dare I say it? I have to. Uh, hmmm, oh shit.

Ok, Ok, CHUCK NORRIS! There, I said it and I know of course he's going to destroy me somehow. I've read all that stuff, but I felt it had to be said.

Pray for me.

25. BRION24

BRION24 Supporting Member

+1 for the Trilogy. It was a little annoying reading subtitles but they were really good movies.

7costanza likes this.