Movie Reviews | Page 6 | MassCops

Movie Reviews

Discussion in 'Entertainment & Literature' started by 7costanza, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

I don't get to the movies nearly as often as I'd like so I rely on HBO and cable in general so many of the movies I see for the first time are old. SO, with that said, I watched "Scott Pilgrim vs. The World" the other day. It had looked funny so I decided to watch. It started slow and my first thought was, "well, I think this is geared to well below my age bracket (which of course it IS) and I may not watch all of it." but I stuck it out.

The movie on the whole was GOOD, but as good as the entire movie was, it really only had a few VERY FUNNY moments. Those few did make watching it worthwhile for me. It's done as though the whole movie is a video game which I found clever. Now and then it was a tad tough to follow but once you get acclimated to what's going on in a few seconds it's fine. The scenes jump around a bit.

2. HistoryHound

HistoryHound Supporting Member

My daughter told me to watch "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World". She said it was funny, but I really think she was pissed at me for something and just trying to get even. I tried but I couldn't watch the whole thing.

3. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

Hangover 2...

As expected, very funny. Very similar to the first, with a couple scenes that could have used a bit more development. The pictures at the end are even funnier than the first movie...

4. HuskyH-2

HuskyH-2 G-Rap made me do it!

I think you have to be a video game and anime buff to really appreciate scott pilgrim. Theres alot of subtle stuff they throw in that makes it great. I thought the zelda and other classic game references were well done.

I took my two nephews (14/12), we all liked it, but alot of it went over their heads.

5. 7costanza

7costanza Supporting Member

I understood every bit of it and thought it was original, the main actor is atualy very talented and the special effects were amazing. So yeah I actually loved it but im not admitting it.

6. BRION24

BRION24 Supporting Member

I think you just did!

I watched The Fighter the other day. Excellent Movie and Christian Bale sure can play a crackhead.

I haven't seen Scott Pilgrim but am gonna add it to the Netflix Queue

7. Kilvinsky

I've played plenty of video games but I can't stand anime. I actually didn't get any of the references other than the "FIGHT" that was thrown in before each battle, but it was the goofy crap that was being thrown around that made me laugh as much as I did. Just silly dopey off the wall humor DONE WELL that I appreciated.

I gotta see 'The Fighter'. It DOES look very good and I'm a Christian Bale fan, especially since "American Psycho".

The book "American Psycho" is pretty terrific as well, but not quite as easy to follow as the movie.

8. 7costanza

7costanza Supporting Member

Kilv, im sure you must have noticed the Seinfeld type scene they did. Im pretty sure they MUST have had to get either Larry Davids permission or Jerry Seinfeld which means to me that someone with some serious comic genius trusted these guys to make a good flick. The special effects were very good, the way it flipped from scene to scene was cool if you have add and can follow the storyline and the music that the band played was actually not bad, so yeah I loved it...so what im a kid at heart.

9. HuskyH-2

Ya the "kramer" scene was great. I also liked the jumps through time like in a comic book.

10. Kilvinsky

Honestly I don't recall the Scene you mentioned, or I did and forgot (which happens...A LOT). I agree though confusing at first, once I got it, I loved it.
    =======================================================================================

Another movie, an OLDIE but a goodie that I just watched last night (maybe for the 3rd time) is 'The Boston Strangler'. Not a perfect movie but a damn good one from my point of view. I'm not big on slasher movies, I don't put them in the catagory of 'horror' movies because they're so improbable, but THIS is a horror movie because, even with some poetic license, it's a true story, a true SCARY story.

Tony Curtis was fantastic in it. I always liked him, but he was terrifying in this. Very believable.

11. Kilvinsky

I just finished watching "Law Abiding Citizen". Good movie, a tad predictable now and then, but good.

Ever notice, other than "Death Wish", every movie that has someone who is out for revenge on the system for letting them down, the protagonist ends up doing one thing, or killing one person that changes your attitude? Is that Hollywood stopping or discouraging people from cheering on those who take justice into their own hands and go MUCH TOO FAR?

Remember the movie "Falling Down"? The guy Michael Douglas played was a total hero (anti-hero I guess) for standing up to the everyday things that just seem to make us all crazy. THEN, we find out he's a total loon and is out to kill his ex-wife or some such thing (it's been a while since I've seen it) and suddenly, about 1/2 way through, we're rooting AGAINST him.

I find these things interesting.

ANYWAY, if you haven't seen "L.A.C.", it's worth a look. Interesting, entertaining and there are a few parts where you can't help but say, "YEAH, what about THAT?"

12. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

I'll tell you about terrifying!!!!!!!!!!!!! I worked for Detective DiNatale decades later and he was a tough bird!!!!!!!
    :skull:

13. Kilvinsky

Woody, I do NOT doubt that. George Kennedy is one of my favorite Movie Non-Stars. The guy is always good, but he's never quite made it to the "A" list, and I'm actually glad. He's TOO GOOD! He played that part exactly as I would expect DiNatale to be, and that's without ever having met him.

14. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Took my kids to see Mister Popper's Penguins today. Cute movie for kids, with just enough substance to keep adults entertained. With Jim Carrey you know there's going to be slapstick humor, but it's kept to an appropriate level that isn't overdone.

In summation, it gets the Delta784 seal of approval for a kid's movie.

15. zm88

zm88 MassCops Member

Don't know if anyone's posted this movie yet but Unknown starring Liam Neeson. Good story to the movie, and I was entertained throughout it. I've been a fan of his since Taken and recommend both movies.

16. MARINECOP

MARINECOP MassCops Member

SPOILER: Took my daughter to see Super 8, which is directed by Abrams/Spielberg. I thought because of this the movie would have been good. The movie sucked overall! It is about some alien who landed on the planet many years ago and he just wants to get back home. (Like ET) The Air Force does not want him to leave, but a former scientist and some dopey kids want to let him leave. It was very slow paced and you did not get to see the alien until the end of the movie. The alien is bad ass though and nothing like that midget ET. I give it a 4/10.

17. HuskyH-2

I read the book as a kid. Dont even remember the story line but i justremember loving it. So just wanted to +1 this

18. Hubby and I watched Hall Pass last night on demand. Pretty funny stuff. Some of it is the expected sophomoric humor, but I think it's keeping in line w/ the Farrelly brothers' other work. We laughed a lot... hubby more than me, but I still enjoyed it. :)

19. HuskyH-2

I watched this on demand the other day. "Fake chowing" had me dying, and the troopers unifirms were almost as funny.

20. Kilvinsky

Watched an old classic Burt Lancaster movie last week, "Valdez is Coming!" not bad but I hadn't seen it in years and figured, ah, what the hell, I was up anyway.

It's pretty good yet somewhat predictable. Burt Lancaster as an aging Mexican was pretty good, hey, the guy was a pro, but when it was over I felt just a bit let down, like there should have been a little more to it. Just wanted to mention it. Since I discovered that we had Encore, I've been catching up on some great older movies and some not so great. This falls somewhere in between.

21. KozmoKramer

KozmoKramer Administrator Staff Member

We saw that a week ago B., we loved it.
    Of course it was at Chunkys, which means a "Bucket-O-Coronas" or 2, or 3, so I would have enjoyed an insurance actuarial symposium with a "history of string" chaser.
    Just kidding, it was a cute film, View attachment 2315 approved by my fam & the other family with us.
    One of Carrey's better films actually. IMHO, best since Fun With Dick & Jane.

22. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Bastard....I had to make do with Diet Coke and popcorn.

23. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

To bring up an older movie mentioned by Delta before, check out Star Chamber with Michael Douglas and Hal Holbrook, about a group of judges who are fed up with the "inequities" of the legal system and seek outside measures.

24. Johnny Law

Johnny Law Nemo me impune lacessit Staff Member

"The Manchurian Candidate" - the 1962 version, not the remake in 2004. The Chairman of the Board had a great supporting cast. For that matter, what's NOT to like?

25. KozmoKramer

KozmoKramer Administrator Staff Member

LOL, we usually go with another family or two. The brides typically have 1 drink with dinner then ice tea for the rest of the evening.
    That way, the dads are free to enjoy the picture a little more comfortably as well as released from the concerns of driving the tribe back home.
    I couldn't imagine sitting through Up or Cars II on a 3 beer limit, or worse; sarsaparilla.