Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

· I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.
19,100 Posts
I am movie fanatic and since most of us are propably into the same types of movies, I thought it would be interesting to start a "movie review" thread. I will start.

ROBIN HOOD with Russell Crowe was done very well, compared to Kevin Costner version it was well, no comparison it was ten times better. They made it very real to the time, it was a pre amble to how he became Robin Hood instead of a movie about his adventures as Robin Hood. Im not sure if they did that to lead into a Part 2 but I liked the way Ridley Scott made the movie and I found it to be somewhat ironic to the times we are living in anti govt, taxes, the little guy against the govt. I would give in an 8.
No question, I saw SEQUAL written all over it, and I look forward to it. The portrayal of the sheriff was priceless.

---------- Post added at 00:43 ---------- Previous post was at 00:41 ----------

While I can appreciate your opinion on this movie , sadly I have not seen it. As for the Kev Koz version, I have not seen that one either. I do however HATE most things he is in! My opinion of the best all time Robin Hood movie has absolutely got to be, "Robin Hood Men In Tights"!!!! Two thumbs up!
fra, dear fra, I gotta disagree with ya on that. I felt Mel Brooks fell flat with that one. I almost cried I found it so bad. Brooks is a genius, but that movie...almost like he ran out of ideas and scraped the bottom of the barrell.

Russell Crowe and Ridley Scott have a good thing going (ala Scorcese and DiNiro) and I hope they keep up the collaborations.

19,100 Posts
I like all movies, new old, b&w, color, as long as it's a good movie and the subject interests me.

What scares me is sometimes I'll see a movie that I should hate, yet I like it. Best example was "Flashdance". Sure, the star was a babe, but that wasn't the reason I liked it. I don't even know to this day WHY I liked it but I left the theatre with a smile. It was kind of a dumb movie and why in hell would any guy get turned on by the dancing done in that club, NO ONE GOT NAKED! Yet, I enjoyed it.

There's my latest review. C'MON 7, you started this thread, what else ya got?

19,100 Posts
European Road Trip was much funnier than I had expected. Fred Armisen as the bizzare Italian guy was the best part of that movie though the British Soccer Hooligans were damn funny as well, Mate!

19,100 Posts
Sarah Jessica Parkers face really does look like a foot though.
I'm laughing, even though I know I shouldn't.:shades_smile:

19,100 Posts
HUSH, Now, I've gotta see this movie. Michael Cain is one of my favorites and any movie that shows people fed up with crime is OK with me. I don't endorse vigilantism, but the victims of crime gotta have a feel good movie too, right?

Even M.C.'s bad movies have been worth watching. His "ITALIAN JOB" far outstrips the remake by MILES.

19,100 Posts
anyone else out there seen "Recount" about the 2000 election and the battle in Florida. It's pretty balanced and fun to watch all the insane bullshit that went on. It also had a terrific ending (besides BUSH WINNING!). The end credits rolled showing actual footage of the events depicted in the film accompanied by "I Won't Back Down" by Tom Petty.

Really enjoyable.

I liked "Shutter Island" and though it was a surprise ending I didn't see coming, I did have mixed feelings, but wasn't really disappointed.

19,100 Posts
I pulled out an oldie but a goodie yesterday "Snatch" with Brad Pitt and Jason Statham made by Guy Ritchie. Im not a huge Pitt or Statham fan but in this film they are awesome, Ritchie has a way of making a film and uses his actors very well , supporting actors Dennis Farina and Benecio Del Toro and VinnieJones were good, this is a difficult movie to follow with the plot and the"pikey" language hard to understand but if you get it I am sure you will like it. Other Guy Ritchie movies that I recommend are Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels , Rock N Rolla, and Revolver which was fantastic.
"Snatch" is a terrific movie. I've grown fond of the English gangster movies myself. Brad Pitt always surprises me. I was going to write him off along with Leonardo DiCaprio as just a couple of no-talent pretty boys, but especially DiCaprio, there's a shit load of talent there.

19,100 Posts
I'm grateful I have HBO. Sure, over all I'd prefer Encore since it shows old stuff, and LOTS of it, but there are advantages to HBO. When a movie comes out and I don't get to see it in the theatres, I know eventually it'll hit cable and not cost me EXTRA. Many of the movies you folks are talking about that you've panned, I had wanted to see, but now, I'll still look forward to seeing them, but for less!

I AM a cheap bastard. 1/4 Scot, so it's in the blood.

19,100 Posts
Thanks 7. I've seen those and have been tempted. When I was hitting Blockbuster and the other various rental places (many of which have disappeared) I always ended up racking up the late fees so I haven't gone that route in a long time, but S&S is much easier to visit. I like visiting grocery stores a little TOO much.

19,100 Posts
I went to the movies last night. That means nothing to any of you, but since I RARELY get to indulge in one of my favorite passtimes, it was fantastic.

Anyway, "Dinner for Schmuks" was pretty funny and you can take your teens to it. Granted my son is no longer a teen, I still get embarassed by some things, but not this. Nice side story too.

19,100 Posts
"A Perfect Getaway". I saw it last night. My wife had watched it and thought I might like it. If you haven't seen it, check it out. If you had, try not to say too much and ruin it for everyone.

Basic plot. Honeymoon couple on Kauaʻi[9] hear of a honeymoon couple being killed on Oahu and suspect other couples they encounter on a trail to a beach as the possible killers. 'NUFF SAID!

Yeah, I copied and pasted the name of the Island from Wikipedia. I wasn't sure how to spell it properly.

19,100 Posts
Brion, foreign military movies are very interesting to me. American ones can be amazing and of course are pretty much the best, but it's always very interesting to watch ones made by and about other countries. I haven't seen all that many, but those I have seen have been great.

I may have mentioned it before, but "STALINGRAD" is one hell of a movie. Anyone who can get distracted during that movie, and not sit staring with an open mouth, is a pretty interesting person.

Segueing (SP?) into romantic comedy..."The Closer You Get". Irish movie. Very funny and sweet movie. No one blows up, no machine guns, but I did enjoy it.

19,100 Posts
It was a pretty decent action movie too. There were a bunch of things in the movie that only Bostonians would get, including a BPD officer on a detail.
Even the MOVIES won't use FLAGMEN!

19,100 Posts
The Town is worth seeing. Lots of action, great local scenes, good acting. Where else can I see a movie and drive through some of the places it was shot on my way back from my gal's condo? I know L.A. you get to do that everyday but you have to know Boston is special.
I can remember when St. Elsewhere was on and I made a point of finding the building in the South End.

It's fun to find goofs too. I know it was brought up before at some point, but how many of you recall in "The Friends of Eddie Coyle" when they drove through the Sumner (or Callahan) Tunnel to go from the Garden to Dorchester?

I saw another movie once where there was a foot chase (no cops involved) that went around a local presitgeous university and it was similar to watching someone run across the Mass/RI border and suddenly exit Maine, but while there, all you see is Vermont. It was awesomely screwed up!

19,100 Posts
I'm now one of those who has seen "The Town." My wife and I saw it last night and though she wasn't impressed, I felt it was pretty damn good. And it was nice to hear well done accents!

I found it interesting that some REAL incidents were worked into the film. The opening robbery in Harvard Square. Though it was done very differently, there was a robbery of an armored car in that spot several years ago. The driver did get a few shots off at the robbers and I believe it may have been an issue on this board, but I won't swear to it.

Also, when the two armored car guards from NH were killed several years ago, that was touched on but fictionalized.

I did have two issues however with the movie. 1) I'm sick of CRIMINALS being romanticised. McRay was a freakin' CRIMINAL. He robbed, put people at risk (even though the only one's he killed deserved it) and was NOT a nice guy, PERIOD! Fer Krissakes, I'm so sick of these pieces of shit being put in a soft light. Ok, so they're human and I can appreciate that even scum have feelings, but this movie almost made him a freakin' hero! PLEASE!

The other thing was how at the end of the movie, a card came on saying how even though Charlestown really did produce all these robbers, the MAJORITY of people are good decent hard working folks and that the film is dedicated to them. Fine. It's nice they did that. But those words should have been put up BEFORE the cast was listed. Since the majority of people are leaving or have left the theater as the cast is listed, most wouldn't see this fine message. That's great for those of us from HERE who KNOW most Charlestown folk are fine decent people, but in Pimpleville, Iowa they don't know and will leave the theatre convinced that EVERYONE from Charlestown is a dirtbag....accept the GOOD dirtbags who are heroes at heart.

But yeah, TERRIFIC movie and worth the price of admission.

19,100 Posts
right.as.rain, thanks for the comments, but in rereading mine, I DO have to make some exceptions to my rant about the romanticising of criminals. "CAPER MOVIES", where the criminals are doing a job but the film isn't REALLY realistic are great. The ORIGINAL "Italian Job" is awesome as is "The Sting", "The Flim Flam Man" and movies along those lines where the criminals are the heroes, ok, those movies are still celebrating criminals, but I can handle that. Even "Goodfellahs" was fantastic, but it showed the mafia for what it was, not a wonderful bunch of goombahs, but a bunch of scuzballs who leached on decent people.

It's the ones like "The Town" where it's a bit too realistic it portrays these evil punks as good guys or at least, Not REALLY bad, I mean, Ben Affleck's character even gave most of the money he STOLE to a girl who put it to good use. PUH-LEAZE!

Time to get off the soap box. I'm boring myself. I did get my point across I hope. If not, well, I'm tired, I worked all night. (ah, the great thing about working nights, always an excuse for saying or doing something stupid!:smug:

19,100 Posts
I'm old fashioned too.

Scorsese can make a bad guy movie that shows them in a bad light, despite them being the 'heroes' of the movie. I respect that. It's like the new show we've discussed on another thread, "Boardwalk Empire." The bad guys are shown as humans that occassionally do GOOD things, but bottom line, they are BAD GUYS doing BAD THINGS and are not held up to be praised or honored or respected.

Then again, the good guy has his faults too, but ah, whaddayagonnado?

19,100 Posts
Next week its my choice, I suggested topless beer pong at Foxy Dolls....hasn't been vetoed yet :teeth_smile:
If this happens and you don't give details, we'll all give you the cold shoulder. Then again, WHO would be topless? :rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 11:44 ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 ----------

...or the cops are always made out to be moronic apes, that are 1 step up from cromagnon man.
ONE of the reasons I gave up on "NYPD BLUE after the second season. Sure the DETECTIVES were AWESOME. The uniformed guys were always one of the following: a) morons; b) crooks; c) badge heavy; d) wannabe detectives; or e) all of the above.

Well, that and sour, hate everyone, Andy Sipowicz got extremely boring after a while. I mean, did this asshole EVER smile? Even when he was happy and in love and had a kid, he still never cracked a smile or laughed. We've all known gruff, grumbly guys in our lives, but COME ON!

(yeah, I hated the show, but both of my wives liked it and at times I ended up watching an episode here and there).

But this is off track. "NYPD BLUE" was NOT a movie, nor do I hope it ever becomes one. It's gone and I'm glad.

19,100 Posts
Two older movies to make mention of.

The first, I'm sorry to say I did not see the whole thing. It was on Cable and it's called "The Battle of Alamein" is an Italian war movie about the aforementioned battle. Terrific movie. Sadly I only saw about 40 minutes towards the end, but what I saw made me want to see the whole thing. Many who don't really love history think the AfrikaKorps was entirely German and that Rommel did it all by himself. This movie shows the Italian contribution (which was great) and is a very fair and very well done depiction of the events, but of course focused on the Italians. There have been many jokes about the Italians in WW2 over the years, but this shows that they contributed as much, if not more to the successes of the Axis in North Africa than the Germans...once they were no longer under the command of Italian leaders that is.

Really a superior movie all things considered made in 1969.

The other is "Dog Day Afternoon". One of the first movies a friend and I went to even though we were under 18. Hey, we went to Boston and they just didn't care that we were 15! Despite one very implausible thing at the end, what a hell of a movie. You can have sympathy for the bank robbers but it also makes it clear, THEY instigated this cluster and bottom line, it was THEIR fault.

It has some humor, sadness and a touch of action-though not an action movie at all. I enjoyed it then, I enjoyed it last night watching it with my son (first time he's seen it) and I know I'll enjoy it again some day. Al Pacino in one of his best rolls.

19,100 Posts
Does this site have any FBI members? Those guys are EVERYWHERE!

---------- Post added at 23:06 ---------- Previous post was at 23:04 ----------

By this time next year, I will have Gotten RED on DVD, the Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, Helen Mirren DVD...pretty entertaining. Lighthearted but some great shooting/action sequences. Worth a watch, they take the gun stuff seriously. I saw it in the theatre and loved it that much that I'll gladly BUY it when it is available.
Computers, it seems that you can type a nice long sentence and somehow parts get deleted. Hush, I found those deleted parts for ya.

---------- Post added at 23:07 ---------- Previous post was at 23:06 ----------

(ok, so I have a "toothless" McDonalds toy on my dashboard... SO??)
Personally I admire anyone who can show their softer side like that, no matter how silly they might appear to the general public.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts