Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Super Moderator
6,781 Posts
So last night, the girl wanted to go see a movie. She picked A Solitary Man starring Michael Douglas, playing at the West-Newton theatre. As we are in line for our tickets, we see a flyer about another movie playing there called Harry Brown starring Michael Caine. The flyer said "This movie contains strong, brutal violence. Refunds will not be given, and no tickets may be exchanged" We looked at eachother and said "lets see it!"
Its basically the British version of Death Wish, with Michael Caine as Charles Bronson. The story has been done before, but the movie did not dissapoint and Michael Caine is awesome. He's no superhero, just a pretty frail elderly man. Former Royal Marine who fought in Northern Ireland and recent widower, he finally decides he's had enough of the gangs plaguing his housing project. Here are a few of the better scenes:
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n1-InCRsoI&feature=related"]YouTube- Harry Brown : Cannabis factory/Gun purchase clip.[/nomedia]
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5al960HENuQ&feature=related"]YouTube- [HD] Harry Brown(2009) - Subway Scene[/nomedia]

Don't know where else its playing, but its definitely worth watching!

· Super Moderator
6,781 Posts
Heading out to see Restrepro tomorrow. Documentary filmed in A-Stan by Sebastian Junger. Playing in Kendall Sq only looks like, Ill post a review when I see it!
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DjqR6OucBc"]YouTube- "Restrepo" Trailer[/nomedia]
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCPnJaxC17o&feature=related"]YouTube- Restrepo Trailer HD[/nomedia]
Restrepo :: rogerebert.com :: Reviews

· Super Moderator
6,781 Posts
If you can stand the accents in those British movies, Layer Cake is a great watch!

· Super Moderator
6,781 Posts
The first minute of the trailer is good, the rest looks like 28 Days Later with the old-school slow lumbering zombies. Some good gun stuff though, definitely worth a look.

· Super Moderator
6,781 Posts
Saw The Town today. Its fantastic, by far the best "Boston" movie yet. After all the stupid crap Ben Affleck has been in, he's one hell of a director and has a great sense of authenticity. Borrows a lot from HEAT, but I would put them in the same league. Definitely a must see. There is one scene that will make your blood run cold.

· Super Moderator
6,781 Posts
Saturday was movie night. I wanted to see the Town...again...but decided to let the girl pick. We ended up seeing Let Me In. Have to say it wasn't bad at all. Went in not knowing what to expect. Very creepy movie, started off like a serial killer but ended up as kind of a vampire movie. Im not much of a sci-fi fantasy fan, but it was done well and very dark. Also had one of the most chilling/hilarious scenes and probably the best car accident Ive ever seen on film. Worth a look, my only gripe was when a detective was searching a house with a 1911 and had the hammer down (I groaned audibly and got elbowed for it.)
Next week its my choice, I suggested topless beer pong at Foxy Dolls....hasn't been vetoed yet :teeth_smile:

· Super Moderator
6,781 Posts
Got RED on DVD, the Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, Helen Mirren DVD...pretty entertaining. Lighthearted but some great shooting/action sequences. Worth a watch, they take the gun stuff seriously.

· Super Moderator
6,781 Posts
Saw the Next 3 Days with Russell Crowe, and it was really good. Well done, suspenseful, and not over the top ridiculous.

---------- Post added at 23:04 ---------- Previous post was at 23:00 ----------

Also re-watched Edge of Darkness. Its more of a heavilly cliched film noire, than a modern day crime story. Had I known that going in the first time, I would have been less disappointed. Its not that bad, just too over the top to take seriously.

· Super Moderator
6,781 Posts
The gf asked me to take her to see Sucker Punch last night. I can say it is easilly the best horrible movie I have ever seen. Ridiculous, bad cgi effects, horrible acting and plot. However it was packed with GORGEOUS women, and plenty of guns. It was terrible movie, but I enjoyed watching every minute of it.

· Super Moderator
6,781 Posts
Source Code was pretty good. Not into the sci-fi thing, but it was well done. Not unlike Deja Vu with Denzel from a few years back.

· Super Moderator
6,781 Posts
Mechanic was a bag of shit, defines the term "Plot holes" things happen and scenes jump with no explanation whatsoever. State of Grace was great, awesome shootout in the bar.
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV2xJvh-caw&feature=related"]YouTube - ‪State of grace shootout scene‬‏[/nomedia]

· Super Moderator
6,781 Posts
just takes a while to figure out if things are happening in sequential order or not...
I made the mistake of watching Memento from halfway through the first time. Seen it a few times since, still cant make heads or tails of it. Sometimes it works, like Pulp Fiction, other times....doesn't.

· Super Moderator
6,781 Posts
To bring up an older movie mentioned by Delta before, check out Star Chamber with Michael Douglas and Hal Holbrook, about a group of judges who are fed up with the "inequities" of the legal system and seek outside measures.

· Super Moderator
6,781 Posts
One of my favorites is on at 5 on AMC...Magnum Force

· Super Moderator
6,781 Posts
DRIVE is a must watch. Very evocative of early Michael Mann. Dark and well done.

· Super Moderator
6,781 Posts
COURAGEOUS Movie Trailer - YouTubeC
Courageous. Haven't seen it yet, but it looks good (if not a little too wholesome, not a bad thing)
As of today, only playing in Boston, Lawrence, and Danvers...might go check it out on my day off.

· Super Moderator
6,781 Posts
Saw it in NYC last weekend. It was really well done. The acting and story were superb. The gun stuff was lacking, but the action was pretty good. Cooper did a terrific job, and the ending hurt to watch. Definitely a must watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts