Motorized Scooters/Mini Bikes | Page 2 | MassCops

Motorized Scooters/Mini Bikes

Discussion in 'Patrol' started by PATS246, May 19, 2004.

1. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

Had a case like this at MCCPD. Guy on moped riding on sidewalk had a REV/RRV license. Charged him with 90/23 but dismissed. All violations are $25 except OUI on Moped can be arrestable. Scooters would fall under 90/23. Now is that new legislation change a done deal or just a petition?

2. futureofficer04

futureofficer04 New Member

Anyone know if there is a ban/regulation in the taunton area re these mini bikes???

3. Elusk4

Elusk4 New Member

O.K. I must say I am sick of answering calls for "the kids on scooters". But people call to complain when they are on the street and in the parks. I agree get them off the streets but let the kids have some fun. Let them ride in the parks, besides those things are cool and I want one. We were all kids once, and all used to get chased on our dirt bikes when we tried to sneak it on the street and go for a blast before the neighbors called the police.
    Hey sapd218 you must live on Cook st.

4. stm4710

stm4710 Subscribing Member

Outright bans are not the way to go. :roll:

On the noise complaint thing......

If im rideing a pocket bike in my yard and its a reasonable hour(I dont have a bike myself )----F the nieghbors.
    Im to the point now that im tierd of the double standerds in my neighborhood. They have their friends park illegally all over the street saturday and sunday for thier partys, blast thier music,leave intoxicated and ride on thier lawn tractors, I dont bother calling the PD cause im not that tit for tatty and I know the PD here have other things to do.

....................but god help me if I start up my Registerd/Insured/Inspected quiet Honda CX 500 or need to mow my lawn in the afternnoon or use my tractor to do yard work.........the reaction I get is the same is if I walked over and slapped a baby and they sometimes place a call to the PD after they tell me to turn of X machine and I tell them to no. :evil: . :roll: :x

5. reno911_2004

reno911_2004 New Member

Mini Bikes r so much fun!!

6. Mech.

Mech. New Member

Hey Reno911_2004 don't forget your HELMET!!! :DB: :jestera:

7. melissa112580

melissa112580 MassCops Member

i wish they ban those mini bikes........they are terrible........no one is wearing a helmet....they buzz in and out of traffic.....a majority of the people operating them have lost there license........ :sb:

8. MVS

MVS Chapter 90 Enforcer

Once they operate them on a public way they are Motor Vehicles and are subject to the rules of the road! Must have permit/license and follow all traffic laws and must be registered..

9. TripleSeven

TripleSeven Subscribing Member

I'm getting tired of kids flying up and down my street (with no helmet) on these noisy bikes! One of these days i'm gonna lay down a spike strip.... :lol:

10. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

Thanks PATS246 this saved me a lot of looking at MGL.

11. MVS

MVS Chapter 90 Enforcer

Anyone have the link to the new legislation?

12. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

13. Curious EMT

Curious EMT Subscribing Member

Sector 4, backup sector 3. 12 Maple street. We have an altercation in the roadway. Apparetnly the Neighborhood Action Team set out a stopstick to stop the children from riding their scooters on the road.

14. Tron3lives

Tron3lives New Member

All of the research iv done has lead me to believe that mini bikes/pocket bikes under 50cc that are not motor assisted bycicles fall under motorized scooter regulations.

Section 1E: Motorized scooters; operation regulations
    Section 1E. A motorized scooter shall not be operated on any way by a person not possessing a valid driver's license or learner's permit, nor at a speed in excess of 20 miles per hour. A person operating a motorized scooter upon a way shall have the right to use all public ways in the commonwealth except limited access or express state highways where signs specifically prohibiting scooters or bicycles have been posted, and shall be subject to all traffic laws and regulations of the commonwealth and the regulations contained in this section, except that: (1) a scooter operator shall keep to the right side of the road at all times, including when passing a motor vehicle which is moving in the travel lane of the way; and (2) the scooter shall be equipped with operational stop and turn signals so that the operator can keep both hands on the handlebars at all times. No person shall operate a motor scooter upon any way at any time after sunset or before sunrise.

A person operating a motorized scooter shall wear protective headgear conforming with such minimum standards of construction and performance as the registrar may prescribe. No person operating a motorized scooter shall permit any other person to ride as a passenger on the scooter.

A person convicted of a violation of this section shall be punished by a fine of not more than $25 for the first violation, not less than $25 nor more than $50 for a second violation and not less than $50 nor more than $100 for a third or subsequent violation.