Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently read on a motorcycle message board some interesting posts about motorcycle lane splitting. I personally see bikers do it all the time especially in town Boston.

Would you normally cite a biker for this?

Do you think there is a difference between the biker who lane splits in bumper to bumper traffic and the biker who does it up on the open road or highway.

When a biker is in heavy stop and go traffic especially with a big truck behind him he probably feels a little safer moving out of the way.

Comments please

·
Registered
33 Posts
What exactly is lane splitting?....I have never hear that term and I have been riding a Harley for about 5 years. MC should be following the rules of the road, but I have to admit that I prefer to stay away from trucks all together.......when they are in front of you there is an exhaust factor and when they are behind you there is a possibility of behind rear ended. On a side note riding a Harley they are air cooled and sitting in trafiic can be a problem......Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lane splitting explained (sort of)

Lane splitting is going in traffic between cars, such as when at a traffic light and the motorcycle slips between all the cars to get in front of everybody. Or when in slow traffic the bikes zig zag in and out between the cars. Worst of all lane spitting is when the bike flies up on the right hand side of a car in a one lane road to pass it.

arsonLt- the Harley and cruiser riders usually only lane split in slow traffic or at lights. Rarely do they split at high rates of speed like the rocket guys. IMO

1 - 3 of 3 Posts