Motor Vehicle Questions | MassCops

Motor Vehicle Questions

Discussion in 'Vehicle Laws' started by Josh180, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Josh180

Josh180 New Member

Just moved to MA and I was curious about the penalties for certain MV related incidents.

For example,
    Operating without a license, Unregistered/Uninsured Motor Vehicle, Canceled/Revoked Registration, Expired License.

Just curious if you are allowed to use discretion in certain cases or if the laws are strict.

If you're allowed to use discretion, i would like to know how you would handle those stops.

2. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

Oh, you mean you're not "asking for a friend"?

Fuzzywuzzy, mtc and FTH like this.
  3. DNorth

DNorth MassCops Member

Josh, at least U don't seem to be one of those LIARS, are you?

:D

Don't worry, you're not supposed to understand that...

38bigblock, FTH and Goose like this.
  4. felony

felony MassCops Member

If you're unlicensed it's more then likely going to be a summons and a tow. If you're vehicle is revoked and uninsured, those are two additional criminal violations. If it is unregistered then that is a civil violation, resulting in $105 fine and a tow. What you have, is what I refer to as the " MV shit bag trifecta." Unlicensed/Suspended while driving a revoked reg for cancelled/suspended insurance. Usually resulting in a warrant arrest or drug seizure.

PGH3477, 38bigblock, Tuna and 2 others like this.
  5. Bloodhound

Bloodhound MassCops Member

Usually with a touch of expired inspection sticker!

PGH3477, Goose and Tuna like this.
  6. Tuna

Tuna Always entertained

Tinted windows and a coffee can exhaust as an appetizer.

7. Oakum yokum

Oakum yokum MassCops Member

Then penalties you are inquiring about should be clearly written out on the ticket.....

8. Josh180

Josh180 New Member

I was asking how you enforce the violations being police officers in MA. I am aware you can use your discretion (tow and summons) rather than arrest. I was looking to hear how you all personally would handle these encounters while on the job.

Thanks Felony for the response. That was what I was looking for.

9. DNorth

DNorth MassCops Member

I haven't been on patrol in over ten years, got my nice cushy federal job now, but in most instances, it wasn't up to me how I "personally would handle these encounters", rather I would let the operator's behavior dictate the way the stop went.

In my opinion, at a non-criminal MV stop, not due to driving like a jackass and putting people in danger, no silly grant patrol where we had to cite everyone for 1MPH over PSL...you listen to me, I listen to you, we talk like adults, you find your license and reg without drama, and you are probably driving away with a written warning. The moment you start the creative excuses, turn the roadside into a courtroom, start telling stories about something you read online, etc., is the moment I am beginning to write the citation in my mind.

Name-dropping was one of my automatic gig triggers, unless it was obvious you were related to the person being named.

I had my own little reply to name droppers whom I suspected were full of shit. Even if I had no idea who the person was who was being named:

Asshat: "Hey man, my cousin's best friend's neighbor is SGT Slacker, I'm sure he would vouch for me that I'm a good guy, I'm sure he would be upset if he found out that you wrote me up."

Me: "Oh yeah, you know SGT Slacker?"

AH: "Yeah, I see him every weekend, he still waves at me so he must think I'm cool."

Me: "That asshole cost me a promotion, which is why I'm not a sergeant today, and I hate his attitude and all his friends."

AH: (crickets chirping and a dumbfounded expression)

mpd61, FTH and Goose like this.
  10. Tuna

Tuna Always entertained

Got to one up ya D. Had a clown drop my name to me during a traffic stop. I never saw him before but apparently I was popular among his nitwit friends.

11. Oakum yokum

Ok, my best. Running stationary in my favorite spot, late in October (key word).
    Stopped ordinary car for 15 over,. Approach car,. It a nun, she said she was on her way to local nursing home.
    Clearly I'd go to hell for writing a nun. SO please slow down sister.

Tuna, Goose, mpd61 and 1 other person like this.
  12. Oakum yokum

About three months later, same car, same spot. This time my favorite nun has a leather mini skirt and her boobs are hanging out. ...... When I asked if I had ever pulled her over b4. She said " yes, you let me go"
    " I WAS ON MY WAY TO HALLOWEEN PARTY"

BxDetSgt, USM C-2, 38bigblock and 3 others like this.
  13. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

Many years ago, my Dad (who was on the job for over 36 years in town, 5 years RR before that) is at Logan to pick someone up. This was LONG before 9-11, so it wasn't as STRICT. He's sitting by the curb and a Trooper waves him on. As the Trooper drives off, my Dad just sits there. He KNOWS the person will be out soon. He could time things very well. A few minutes later, the Trooper comes back and does the "move on" wave again, then he leaves.

Third time, he walks up to the car and says, "Sir, you really have to move. You've been here about 15 minutes." (I'm paraphrasing). My Dad asks if there was any chance of professional courtesy for a Brother Officer from....

"Oh, do you know so and so?"
    My Dad hesitates. Should he say, "Yeah, GREAT guy" or simply speak from the heart. He speaks from the Heart. "Yeah, he's a no good son of a bitch."
    The Trooper replied, "You sit here as long as you want."

14. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

Of all the great stories my Dad has told me from back in the day, it's one of my favorites. Though, he's got a few other GREAT ones that I LOVE, but this, this is awesome.

And please keep in mind, my Dad was one of the most honest, sincere and marshmallowy cops to ever walk the face of the Earth. I'm not just saying this because he is my Dad, but you'd have to know him to understand that. He has NEVER uttered the "F" word in his life, feels anyone who cheats on their wife is DIRT and the ONE Time he smacked a prisoner (who had SPIT on him) he felt total guilt for...well, he still does after over 40 years. So, to me, his stories are TOTAL GOLD!

15. 38bigblock

38bigblock MassCops Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA