Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyon know were i can get one of the books that has all the mass motor vehicle laws? I saw one that had all the ch.85-89-90 and cmrs it was about the size ofthe large index cards and it was put together like a note book. It has all the fines and if the charge was arrestable or not. Everything was color coded. It was a great book i heard it was put together by someone in the westhampton area,or it was sold in a store in that area. Th book also had the court codes for all the towns in the state on the very last page. lot of depts have these in the patrol cars anyone know where i can buy one and about how much they cost?
Thanks

·
Subscribing Member
1,151 Posts
Bearcat

The book is called the Massachusetts MV Law Comprehensive Pocket Index.

Commonwealth Police Service, Inc
One South Main Street
Assonet, Massachusetts 02702

(508) 644-2116
(508) 644-3080
FAX (508) 644-2670

·
MassCops Founder
6,403 Posts
It is a handy book but whats a school bot?

Typical Pat Rogers material complete with misspellings and typos.... When is that guy going to hire a proof reader?

I would hope LED comes out with something along the same lines.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Gil...

You are right-on with the typos. Be careful with some of the chapters and sections too. I believe 'attatching plates' is listed as c.90 s.7 with a criminal violation, among many others.

Scheff's books are much easier to read, although I am curious about the 2003 MV Law book he publishes. It was a bit late hitting the presses from what I was told, but one of the 'Route 2 area' traffic-law gurus assisted on writing the book. Nice to see a book produced from a current, active one of our own.

·
Registered
138 Posts
CYA...Make your own booklet. Do not use anything other than what is printed in M.G.L or CMR (especially in the "pocket parts"). I can see it now; "Well your honor, I was using this booklet here made by CPS". Don't think it has not happened. Don't get me wrong, I like "Pat", he was an entertaining instructor ("ground ball!").

·
Registered
144 Posts
Bearcat,
I believe you are getting some mis-info about the book you want. It was originally put together by a MSP dispatcher out of Northampton by the name of Matt Barstow. It is laminated, listed in alphabetical order by key words, color coded by civil-criminal-CMR and wire bound. I got one in '99 for about $20-25. Worth every penny. I've actually been interested in getting an updated one with the Junior Oper info in it. I use it just about every day on patrol. He put his address on the back;

P.O. Box 12 Hadley, MA 01035
[email protected]

If those don't work try the dispatch center in Northampton-Station B
413-587-5500(?)

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
I heartily second msp357's endorsement of the blue "cheat book". I use it every day on patrol, and its relatively low priced for the amount of info it provides.

·
Kingman
13 Posts
msp357 said:
Bearcat,
I believe you are getting some mis-info about the book you want. It was originally put together by a MSP dispatcher out of Northampton by the name of Matt Barstow. It is laminated, listed in alphabetical order by key words, color coded by civil-criminal-CMR and wire bound. I got one in '99 for about $20-25. Worth every penny. I've actually been interested in getting an updated one with the Junior Oper info in it. I use it just about every day on patrol. He put his address on the back;

P.O. Box 12 Hadley, MA 01035
[email protected]

If those don't work try the dispatch center in Northampton-Station B
413-587-5500(?)
Same book I have, think it was around $40.00 couple of years ago......

·
MassCops Member
132 Posts
:dito: I paid $30 for Barstow's book in 2000. I recently replaced it with 2004 CPS book which was $18. As much as I like CPS products, I have to say I miss the rugged (laminated), color coded, and seemingly better researched (more accurate) Barstow book.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts