More soccer at Fenway? | MassCops

More soccer at Fenway?

Discussion in 'Sports & Recreation' started by Beal Feirste, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Beal Feirste

Beal Feirste MassCops Member

Liverpool's board receives two new bids to buy club

By Dan Roan
    BBC sports news correspondent

Liverpool's board met on Tuesday after it received two new bids to buy the club, BBC Sport understands.
    It is thought one of the offers is from Asia, with the other from America.
    A source close to the negotiations said: "Both would significantly reduce the debt and give the current owners their original investment back."
    But the club's American co-owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett are understood to be opposing the sale of the Reds to either of the two parties.

BBC Sport - Football - Liverpool's board split over two new bids to buy club

Reports tonight that the once all powerful Liverpool FC are undergoing a boardroom struggle with two bids for ownership of the club. One of them being linked to Boston RedSox owner John Henry.

Liverpool was once one of the powerhouses of English and European football but after a series of poor decisions in the choice of team manager recent years have seen the clubs glory years diminish to todays position of being in the relegation zone.

Hmmmm. John Henry, eh. There's a John Henry that frequents my local. I do hope it's not him. Anyone know him? He's not about 6'1, 15 stone, loud and thick as two planks nailed together?

2. cc3915

cc3915 MassCops Angel Staff Member

Say it ain't so! Ugh....

3. TopCop24

TopCop24 Working in the land of misfit toys

Here's an idea on how to spend that 440 million other than buying a soccer team.....stop trying to put bandages on a 1912 stadium and use that money to build a new one.

4. KozmoKramer

KozmoKramer Administrator Staff Member

I stand by my earlier analogy. [​IMG]

5. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

Red Sox Owners To Buy Liverpool Soccer Club

Liverpool's board agreed to sell the debt-riddled English Premier League club to the owners of the Boston Red Sox on Wednesday, although legal action may be needed to force the existing American owners out.

Current co-owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett Jr. said Tuesday they would resist the bid from New England Sports Ventures, which owns the Red Sox, and a separate bid from Asia because both "dramatically undervalue" the 18-time English champions.

The Red Sox owners offered to pay about 300 million pounds ($477 million) for a club with debts of 285 million pounds ($453 million) that must be repaid by Oct. 15, a person familiar with the situation said.

The person spoke on condition of anonymity because financial details aren't being discussed publicly.

Despite the opposition of Hicks and Gillett, who own all the shares in Liverpool, Boston's offer was accepted by the non-owner board members: Liverpool chairman Martin Broughton, who was hired by Hicks and Gillett in April to sell the club; managing director Christian Purslow; and commercial director Ian Ayre.

"I am delighted that we have been able to successfully conclude the sale process which has been thorough and extensive," Broughton said.

Full Story
    Red Sox Owners To Buy Liverpool Soccer Club - wbztv.com