Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here know where i could find a draft for a "letter of good cause" or at least tell me any info on how to write one. How long should it be? what kind of format should it be in? Also its prob somewhere on the site but i cant find but anyone know where i can get an NRA safety cert. on the south shore any places that run the freguently or have some sometime soon. any help is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
456 Posts
Letter will depend on what your chief demands. Neither I or my Wife have ever supplied a letter or anything more than 3-4 words on the application. . . we've both had unrestricted ALP type LTCs since the mid-1970s.

If you need help, you might use the services of a firearms attorney. Atty Jesse Cohen has had very good results with his clients http://www.attorneycohen.com/ I am currently collaborating with Atty Cohen to present some seminars on how to effectively apply for LTC-A/ALP and other issues.

I will tell you that your age is going to play against you as most chiefs would be very reluctant to issue LTC-A/ALP to someone who is 21 years old.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea i figured the age is going to be a big factor but i know the chief pretty well, let me be clear i do not expect a free pass because i know him but its does help in the sense that he know me more then just whats on paper. So if its just an age thing then im fine with waiting a few years and trying again. The only reason i asked is because i was looking at what paperwork i need to have with me when i put in my application and i saw that it said i would need a "letter of good cause" so let me ammend my guestion to ask Does anyone know if some towns actually reguire this? or is it just on of the things they can reguire

·
Registered
456 Posts
AFAIK, the law does NOT require a letter of intent. [This may have changed for 1st issue now, but certainly not required on renewals.]

Under "suitability" a chief may require pretty much anything he wants to, it is a discretionary license, so his word is "law". Thus we have literally 351 different sets of rules on what it takes to get a LTC!:-?

Many chiefs require such letters, letters from MDs stating that you are mentally fit to own/carry a gun, range tests, special courses only given by their PD (in addition to the state mandated class), extra fees, etc. :sad:

If you are friends with your chief, just ask him! Simple as that. That's what my Wife and I did initially some 27 and 29 years ago, respectively. I had to provide a letter from my employer (that was fun . . .NOT), yet he told my WIfe she didn't need that (good thing too, she was a school teacher back then). BTW, we were friends with our chief and his wife too, so he knew us very well by the time my Wife applied.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.