Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what leeway is given to troopers to modify or upgrade their cruisers. I've seen some K9 units with names added to rear doors and a wide variety of warning lights. Do troopers have the option to add lights if they get issued a cruiser with an older lightbar? In the back of many barraks are wrecks. After the paper work and insurance goes through, can other troopers cannibalize them for that pushbar they've always wanted etc? I realize that this is kind of becoming two questions in one but just wondering what leeway was given, or is it pretty much, heres your sled, go get em.

G

·
Good question, I knew a Trooper who at the time was driving Chevy and he had all kinds of stuff installed. He even had Flowmaster mufflers installed. His cruiser sounded INSANE :punk: . He had a car alarm extra lights all kinds of stuff. I just loved the sound of the thing it rocked, definitley an intimidating cruiser, just by the rumble it made.

I know this doesnt answer your question but I thought it was somewhat relevent.

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
O eof my Trooper instructors in the reserve academy way back when had a alpine pullout and a nice set of speakers in his cruiser. He made a comment "were not suppose to do that but some Troopers do it anyway".

·
Registered
221 Posts
I remember a few years back I was at a local convenience store and a trooper pulled up in his cruiser with his jazz music turned up full blast, he must have had some sound system in his cruiser. It was so loud it was funny. I couldn't believe it, it was cranked, smooth jazz cranked as loud as it could be. He got out of his cruiser went in the store. Nothing like seeing a vacant MSP cruiser sitting there with jazz cranked up.

Anyways, I think the MSP should put what they want in the cruiser, it is their take home cruiser. Its their office. I'm lucky if I have the same stations programed in the radio when I come back on shift.

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
I am luckey, when my crusier gets parked it doesnt move till I come back on shift. Its my assigned to me and its unmarked, for now.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have an assigned cruiser, along with being assigned to about 5 other people, picking up wrappers, papers, cups, bottles, etc.

·
Banned
117 Posts
I have an assigned cruiser, along with being assigned to about 5 other people, picking up wrappers, papers, cups, bottles, etc.
Thats what a lot of local POs gotta go through. Sometimes its nice having the sh!t box of the fleet when no one else wants anything to do with it and you got it all to yourself of course until it gets replaced then every officer and command officer wants to drive the damn thing.

·
Subscribing Member
451 Posts
Whats up with marked crusiers having tinted windows? Avon, PD has one or 2 crusiers that have very dark tint on all the windows and i've seen some MSP cars like this as well. I like the look for a personal car but it kinda sends the wrong image to the public don't ya think? I can see MSP cars having the back window done b/c of all the highway driving to reduce blinding.

·
Registered
125 Posts
EMcNeice @ Sun 05 Dec said:
Whats up with marked crusiers having tinted windows? Avon, PD has one or 2 crusiers that have very dark tint on all the windows and i've seen some MSP cars like this as well. I like the look for a personal car but it kinda sends the wrong image to the public don't ya think? I can see MSP cars having the back window done b/c of all the highway driving to reduce blinding.
It's funny you mentioned that because it was just brought up in one of my C.J. classes. We are seeing a wide range of local/towns having dark tinted windows on cruisers. It does send the wrong message, because its taking away from community policing. Part of being a police officer is being able to communicate with the public.

·
Subscribing Member
233 Posts
Many of the MSP sleds you see with tinted windows may be canine cruisers. These could be for patrol dogs (utility, narcotics, cadaver), or dogs with other specialties (accelerant or explosive dogs). They are not all necessarily marked, either.

·
Subscribing Member
4,316 Posts
Tinted windows are used for different reasons, none of the community policing BS that is preached in college courses. Just because you have tint does not mean you are not a community policing oriented department. I work MIDs and I don't have much interaction with the kids unless I am locking them up. If I have tint, you don't know how many officers are in the vehicle, you might transport some juvenilles or some domestic violence victims and this way the person doesn't get recognized in town. Could be a K-9 vehicle and it just looks cool. :lol:

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
community policing BS
You got that right, the only thing I'm interested in communincating to the public is that if you screw up, be it speeding, OUI, domestic, 94C, etc., you will pay. The rest of this "community policing" is smoke and mirrors for the press and liberals.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sterling PD has every one of their cruisers tinted very dark. Looks very good, very intimidating. You never know who inside....

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
If you have to time to worry about the friggin tint on a crusier you need to find something to do with your time. Talk about complaining about useless topics.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.