Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just wondering what your thoughts are on this subject. How do you feel about working with officers who seem to hate their job? You can always tell when a dispatch officer/patrol officer would rather be anywhere else but on the job. Listening to the radio it's quite obvious that this is a out there. What are your thoughts on this subject?

·
MassCops Member
297 Posts
One of the pitfalls of this job is working with men/women who either:

1. Don't deserve the job.

2. Are incompetent/lazy/daddy is Chief/Capt.,/Lieut.,etc...

3. Don't appreciate what opportunities exist in front of them. Where else do you have the opportunity to make good money and have an impact on peoples lives? Very few other places.

4. Personal lives are train wrecks and have a chip on their shoulder.

Align yourself with the good people, the a-holes tend to self destruct eventually and retire or go out 111-f.

·
Subscribing Member
308 Posts
usually every department has a "miserable officer" Some are like that 24/7 some can act that way cause of something going on in their personal life. All is I can say is misery loves company. Just be careful not to fall into the trap of taking someone's misery home with you.

·
Subscribing Member
1,209 Posts
We got 30 people on the list for our department at BEMA. Our captain doesnt let us go on calls. No one likes him, he wieghs 400 pounds,he smells and has a piss poor attitude. He is the soul reason we dont go on calls. Its not from the lack of Beverly being slow, they are busy and there are many times we are needed but he doenst want us responding.

Also he is the reason that maybe 1 or 2 people show up now a days out of 30. :roll:

·
1,334 Posts
Unfortunately they can bring the department morale right down the shitter. All it takes is one to be miserable, stir the pot, or continuosly sit on their thumbs throughout the shift while others do work for the morale to head south.

·
Czar of Cyncism and Satire
2,070 Posts
How about lacking a contract for 4 1/2 years?

Not being given the right tools to do the job?

Favoritism to the bootlickers / asskissers?

Leadership vacuum and lack of promotional opportunities?

Some of the guys/gals on this board are not even on the job or are in it in some temporary / part time capacity. Until you have experienced all the intricacies of how the job works, please don't judge others for having a shitty attitude.

Some people come on the job this way. Others, through years of the above mentioned scenarios, end up this way. Have you ever raised a rolled up newspaper to an abused dog as if to strike it? The dog will put it's head down and becomes shy. That's how I feel sometimes. I feel like an abused puppy when I come to work.

I guess FutureCop23 can gauge a cop / dispatcher's not-so-sunny disposition by listening in on scanner calls. Maybe he should walk a mile in their moccasins before he makes such a sweeping assesment of us all.

·
1,334 Posts
HousingCop";p="61693 said:
How about lacking a contract for 4 1/2 years?

Not being given the right tools to do the job?

Favoritism to the bootlickers / asskissers?

Leadership vacuum and lack of promotional opportunities?

Some of the guys/gals on this board are not even on the job or are in it in some temporary / part time capacity. Until you have experienced all the intricacies of how the job works, please don't judge others for having a shitty attitude.

Some people come on the job this way. Others, through years of the above mentioned scenarios, end up this way. Have you ever raised a rolled up newspaper to an abused dog as if to strike it? The dog will put it's head down and becomes shy. That's how I feel sometimes. I feel like an abused puppy when I come to work.

I guess FutureCop23 can gauge a cop / dispatcher's not-so-sunny disposition by listening in on scanner calls. Maybe he should walk a mile in their moccasins before he makes such a sweeping assesment of us all.
HousingCop, you could start a whole new thread with the your response. "Departments that work under miserable condtions"; there would probably be about 1000 responses and sieze up the web site with everything that is wrong about where everyone works. Nothing worse than the "its not in the budget excuse" but money is found to plant trees or flowers. I believe Futurecops post was in the context of one or two miserable officers or dispatchers, not the entire department. Some do make it very obvious on the air.

·
Subscribing Member
1,316 Posts
Well you don't have to have a badge to see the people who are miserable mean people. there are people like this everywhere- hell join the damn navy there are so many people who's jobs are just so damn pathetic and worthless that they just treat the world like shit. there are people like this in every job from cops to taco bell employees.

Of course you can't judge some1 from how you hear them on the scanner/radio either.

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
I remember working with a grumpy bastard that said: "I hate being a cop, I should've taken the job with the phone company".. and he was dead serious :shock: WTF, unbelievable...

·
Subscribing Member
1,442 Posts
RPD931";p="61823 said:
I remember working with a grumpy bastard that said: "I hate being a cop, I should've taken the job with the phone company".. and he was dead serious :shock: WTF, unbelievable...
We have a guy who some times gets to speak to young children. He says things like "pay attention in school or you will end up like me."

·
Registered
316 Posts
i agree with what was said above by many... align yourself with those that can maintian a positive attitude and enjoy their job. Yes, we all have our bad days, tough lives, etc. but through support from family, co-workers etc can manage through and still not be a miserable officer. Don't get pulled to the "dark side" because it truly will make you jaded and miserable well before your time.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Kind of hard to allign yourself with some good guys when all are miserable and hate the job. Do your thing, do it right, don't take the job home and just remember that after 5 years on the job your whole perspective changes, on a larger city department that comes quicker. Everyone wants to be a cop and then once you get the job you see that it's just a job and pretty thankless at that, nobody cares. Just status quo.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts