Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past couple years of scanning JOBFILE like its part of my official job description, I've noticed Millville PD has atleast one ad out per year looking for FT academy trained officers, and I believe I saw 3 ads in one year.
Does anyone have any idea what the deal is with the high turnover rate? Post or PM if anyone has any ideas :?:

·
Registered
186 Posts
The main reson is the pay is low, but also the town is only 1 square mile with a population of 3000 people. So not much action as you can see.

·
Registered
533 Posts
well actually their pay is decent (union+quinn bill) but they have been through at least 20 FT cops in 5 years. Some last only a few weeks, very quirky place. I think they can have up to 4 or 5 FT patrolman +chief+ some reserves, and last I heard they are down to 1 or 2 FT cops.

I know of at least 8 people that used to work there, and non had good things to say, other than it actually is busy. Lots of dirtbags live and pass through.

·
Registered
186 Posts
BUSY?????? I don't know what your friends consider busy? but that place is far from busy. I lived there, I have family that work there, know a couple of guys, know the Chief, Personally I don't find it busy. Well maybe with its 1 traffic light. LOL...

Stay Safe

G

·
millville turn over

I would say the only reason the town can not keep cops is because the chief!!!!! the man is a unreasonable person that no one on the planet could possible get along with. his brother works there as a part timer and i think that is the only one that has stayed (go figure). the town has gone through more cops than any town in mass. if you could make it for a year you would be a vet. I worked there for 8 months and had to get the AG's office send a letter to threaten the town to give me unpaid wages. the town is currently in a lawsuit for obstruction of union activity. good luck to the next sucker that thinks that working there would be a good idea!!! if you would enjoy being personaly threatened by the union steward and the chief of police than sign up!

·
Subscribing Member
1,316 Posts
ok listen, i was born and raised in Millville, the town itself is nice, its a good place to raise a family. trust me on this the high turn over rate is do to te chief and the politics that are involved in that small dept plain and simple. i could gone on for pages and pages about it however i will not because it would not be a very nice thing for me to do. no it is not a civil service dept. the pay is alright however compared to bordering towns it is lower.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
A fellow trooper was stopped going through the town on the way home and got the "YOU-OF-ALL-PEOPLE" lecture for speeding. She told the kid to shut-up or write a ticket...and drove away. He didn't pursue the matter.

If GOD delivers one of those kids into my hand...it's gig city and no proffesional courtesy.

period.

:uc:

And one of my erstwhile boot's lives there.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Word to the wise,
Stay away from towns that end in "ville". I worked for a town in NH ending in "ville" and this sounds like the same situation. Alot of people just want to get thier foot in the door and they figure they will get some experience and move on.
BE CAREFUL OF THESE SMALL TOWNS ! :uc:

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
Yes, I second that motion, I am working in small town hell right now. Trying to get out like a rat trapped in a box.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Macop said:
Yes, I second that motion, I am working in small town hell right now. Trying to get out like a rat trapped in a box.
Just keep plugging. I took me awhile but I was determined not to let that place decide my future and I got on in a much larger, Mass civil service dept. that actually pays you a livable salary with a union to boot :wink: .

·
Registered
884 Posts
Small town where everybody knows everyones business. I worked in one of Millvilles ajoining towns for 4 years and I have heard alot of the rumors. If anyone wants that job, just make sure you can take any order without question and kiss everyones ass in the town and on the department. If you don't, and you go against command staff or the town in almost any way they will try and ruin your career. Just some advice I have heard for any applicant to consider.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have over 8 years of law enforcement experience, great recommendations from my chief and outstanding members of the community. I have applied their twice with nothing as much as a reply to say "Thanks but no thanks."

WTF kind of agency runs like that?

Oh yeah, I forgot the MPD creto:

"Millville Police......we wear shoes."

·
Subscribing Member
1,316 Posts
well commish, that is because the chief will throw away resumes after u walk out the door and most times just not give out applications. I used to know a dispatcher and he was on the desk when i gave my resume to the chief and it never made outta the dispatch office, he never read it he just crumpled it up and tossed it the trash. & they were hiring at the time, I am a town resident also, have good reommendations... & that is why i moved a town away to uxbridge.

·
Subscribing Member
1,316 Posts
Commissioner Car-1 said:
I have over 8 years of law enforcement experience, great recommendations from my chief and outstanding members of the community. I have applied their twice with nothing as much as a reply to say "Thanks but no thanks."

WTF kind of agency runs like that?

Oh yeah, I forgot the MPD creto:

"Millville Police......we wear shoes."
well commish, that is because the chief will throw away resumes after u walk out the door and most times just not give out applications. I used to know a dispatcher and he was on the desk when i gave my resume to the chief and it never made outta the dispatch office, he never read it he just crumpled it up and tossed it the trash. & they were hiring at the time, I am a town resident also, have good reommendations... & that is why i moved a town away to uxbridge.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Well, well, well...

I was hired as a full timer in Millville, and my career there lasted 6 hours!!!!! Thats right, 6 hours. I saw enough bullshit in those 6 hours to know that it was a wrong move, so I quit, like about 19 other guys. If you want to know anything more, PM me. I will be brutally honest with you. The Chief is tenured for life, and THAT is the root of all of the problems. When one knows he can't be removed, strange things happen. Other than that, it was a great place...LOL!!!!

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.