Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not 100% sure if this goes here but my friend is in the Army, he's in Iraq right now, Mosul to be exact. Every day i hear about his group getting attacked (Stryker Brigade Out of Ft. Lewis) Last time i talked to him was like 2 or 3 days after the bombing of the mess tent. He was in it about 20 feet away and got thrown in the air prety far and got some cuts and bruises but he was all good. Usually he'll IM me on AIM and say hi and that's all i really need to see but he hasn't lately and I was curious if there was a place online that you know of that has a list of the wounded and dead soldiers. Just so i can make sure he isn't on the lists or anything.

Thanks for your help!!

Scott :rock:

·
MassCops Member
65 Posts
Scott,

I'm currently over in the Baghdad area, got a couple suggestions for you to follow; first off, as far as I know there isn't an offical web site with the information your looking for.

Check with your friends family or department, has he contacted them yet?
Something elseto keep in mind, internet and phone service is difficult to obtain and there are constant problems with all lines of communication.

Look at it this way; no news is good news concerning any of us over here. With the elections coming up it'll be very busy!

Good luck and don't worry.

·
Subscribing Member
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
redpara";p="53864 said:
Scott,

I'm currently over in the Baghdad area, got a couple suggestions for you to follow; first off, as far as I know there isn't an offical web site with the information your looking for.

Check with your friends family or department, has he contacted them yet?
Something elseto keep in mind, internet and phone service is difficult to obtain and there are constant problems with all lines of communication.

Look at it this way; no news is good news concerning any of us over here. With the elections coming up it'll be very busy!

Good luck and don't worry.
It just kills me though everytime to watch the news or read the paper and hear about the stryker brigade in Mosul. When the mess tent got bombed and i didn't hear from him right after i was shaking and sick. It sucked ass. I respect every single one of you soldiers over there. God bless!! and Thank You!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Here is a link to Central Command
http://www.centcom.mil/
This command is in charge of all operations in Southwest Asia
If you go down the bottom there is a casualty report section that will report on casualties sustained by Amercian Forces. However, unless the family has been notified do NOT expect to see a name up there...there will be unit and description of what happened though. The last time I deployed when I was in they told us to make sure our emergency data was correct because they do not want family and friends finding out before the military notification is made. I agree with the no news is good news though.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Being a former Marine and having been deployed overseas, I can understand your worry just as my family worried about me. The best thing you can do when you dont hear from your friend is to think that this is really the first time in history when servicemembers have had a wide access to the internet and phone service. Just pray to have the strength that the generations preceeding you, our fathers and grandfathers families have had through WW2, KOREA, and Vietnam.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Remeber, a Stryker BDE is a big organization. Elements of this organization could be at 15 (or more) locations at any given time. When your buddy is on-line and sending messages he is "in the rear". "In the rear" means he someplace where there is technology, showers, hot meals, phones and stuff around (now-a-days there really isn't a "rear" that is safe, like in the old days). When he is not "in the rear" he is working, most likely conducting patrols, check points or other missions.

Do yourself and him a favor, write him a letter now and again. The IM's and e-mails are great, but, not always available. A letter he can open and read no matter where he is or what he is doing. He can write a letter back no matter where he is or what he is doing (with some obvious exceptions), and will appreciate the effort a little more.

Get in touch with him, don't make him find you. Your not as busy as he is. He is trying to stay alive everyday.

He'll appreciate a good friend like you.

·
Subscribing Member
1,316 Posts
yeah, trust me, emails are nice & convienant, however nothing beets a hand written letter or card. it nice to hear ur name during mail call. it might be weeks before i can let my wife know i'm alive. sometimes if there is an internet available however it takes 2-3 hours to send 1 email if it even gets through! or there is no internet/phone.

·
Subscribing Member
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi guy's I wanted to update and say thanks for all your help. M y friend has IM'ed me in the past 2 weeks and we've e-mailed. He's deep in the $h!te there. He got a bullet to the helmet a couple of weeks ago and he was in the mess tent that got suicide bombed and saw a few of his friends get killed that day. He's had rpgs go off within 10 feet of him and mess up his hand, his unit had a roadside bomb go off and it destroyed the vehicle he was in, He's had 2 close friends get killed and 2 more get really messed up. then 3 nights ago he got shot in the foot the bullet went right through and he's ok he's resting now still in Mosul though. He's coming home in a week or 2 for 2 weeks of leave. Which he really needs. He's been gone for a long time i don't even remember how long now. So all I have to say to you guys there is thank you! and to the guys here tell these guys thank you when you see them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.