Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you are in the military, and you takethe civil service test are you still considered even though you are on active duty. Basically i am thinking of joining the military and want to know if i enter the service, will the MSP or Local police hold a spot for me utill i am through with the military if i do well enough on the exam or fire for what everits worth.:beer:

Thanks
Shaun

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i plan on going to the reserves but not sure yet. If active i will go for 4 yrs. I want to make sure if i go to the coast guard that i come out a veteren. I am going no matter what, but after reading how hard it is to get on a police department, i should just committ myself for 4 full years to get the status of Veteren. Thanks for the info.

·
MassCops Member
218 Posts
shaund44 said:
If you are in the military, and you takethe civil service test are you still considered even though you are on active duty. Basically i am thinking of joining the military and want to know if i enter the service, will the MSP or Local police hold a spot for me utill i am through with the military if i do well enough on the exam or fire for what everits worth.:beer:

Thanks
Shaun
Shaun,
Here's the deal... If you enter into an active duty commitment with the military with a 4 or 6 year commitment and you take the CS test any time during that enlistment you have to wait until you active duty commitment is up, before you can accept a full time position with a PD, just common sense the DOD isnt going to let you take another job with someone else.
Your best be if you want to join the military and still get on "the job" is to explore options with the guard and reserve. do you basic training and tech/AIT school then do some time (90+ days) on active duty title 10 (Federal active duty), that way you get veteran's preference for civil service, get to serve in the militay and also are eligible to take a job on a PD sooner rather than later.

I'm currently in the Air National Guard, soon to be crossing over to the AF reserves, so if you have any questions shoot me an PM/email and I'll be glad to give you the straight poop not the crap a recruiter slings...

-Gresh

·
Registered
715 Posts
AFCOP is right. As far as the Mass. HRD is concerned you only need 90 days on active duty (not including training) to be granted veteran status.

·
MassCops Member
218 Posts
militia_man said:
AFCOP is right. As far as the Mass. HRD is concerned you only need 90 days on active duty (not including training) to be granted veteran status.
That's right I got my vet status this summer on orders for Op. Noble Eagle... Next stop CS test this saturday and hopefully a card from Boston soon to follow (wish me luck)...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.