Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Military divers raise sunken Russian sub

PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- U.S. Navy and Army divers have raised a Russian sub that had sunk in the Providence River during a powerful storm last year.
The submarine was first launched in 1965 and more recently used as a floating museum in an industrial area of Providence.
Military divers used the raising of the sub known as Juliet 484 as a training opportunity. They have been working on site since late May.
The Russian Sub Museum opened in 2002 and had drawn tens of thousands of visitors. But the foundation that runs the museum has said it will no longer be on display.
The sub was used as a set for the Harrison Ford movie "K-19: The Widowmaker." It was then acquired by the USS Saratoga Foundation, a private, nonprofit group.

http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/local/BO83457/

G

·
I don't see why they can't restore it; several vessels which were underwater for months after Pearl Harbor (including the Nevada) were raised and successfully put back in service.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,693 Posts
I don't see why they can't restore it; several vessels which were underwater for months after Pearl Harbor (including the Nevada) were raised and successfully put back in service.
Bruce!
Let's take it to Quincy and park it next to the CA-139! Hell, I'll even drive it up there "round the cape" If they get one set of diesels going?
:rolleyes:

G

·
Bruce!
Let's take it to Quincy and park it next to the CA-139! Hell, I'll even drive it up there "round the cape" If they get one set of diesels going?
:rolleyes:
Don't expect me to be your helmsman; I've seen the living conditions of Soviet submarines. :cool:

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
It all comes down to money.
I heard the Middlesex Sheriff is waiting for approval of a 20-million dollar grant to buy the sub, restore it to full operational status and use it to patrol the Mystic River. Middlesex Sheriff's will be advertising in the Herald and Globe for crew members.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I heard the Middlesex Sheriff is waiting for approval of a 20-million dollar grant to buy the sub, restore it to full operational status and use it to patrol the Mystic River. Middlesex Sheriff's will be advertising in the Herald and Globe for crew members.
Brilliant! Change the Red Star to a Gold Star.

Now don't complain when they start pulling boats over, remember it was your idea!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts