Middlesex sheriff's office receives $455,000 grant for regional 911 center | MassCops

Middlesex sheriff's office receives $455,000 grant for regional 911 center

Discussion in 'Dispatch / Communications' started by JamnJim18, Oct 26, 2011.

1. JamnJim18

JamnJim18 Guest

Sheriff Peter J. Koutoujian is pleased to announce the Middlesex Sheriff's Office (MSO) has been awarded a $455,000 grant from the Executive Office of Public Safety and Security (EOPSS).

The Regional Emergency Communications Center Development Grant is designed to streamline all 911 emergency calls into one regional entity. The MSO has been tapped to be the conduit for five communities in Middlesex County, including; Wakefield, Melrose, Stoneham, Reading, North Reading and Lynnfield from Essex County.

The recently awarded grant will be used to help fund the engineering and architectural design of a new facility that would house the Middlesex Regional Emergency 911 Communication Center. The center would be governed by representativesof all participating communities.
    “We are proud to partner with our local cities and towns to help streamline public safety and ensure our citizens receive the best resources possible," said Sheriff Koutoujian. “This grant will be the first step toward realizing this important public safety facility; one that will increase efficiency and communication across the region.”

Currently, all six communities operate their own individual 911 emergency call centers. A feasibility study showed that combining 911 emergency call centers would improve public safety by facilitating resource-sharing across the municipalities . The center will also combine police, fire and EMS dispatch services under one roof.

“The Patrick-Murray administration established the 911 grant program for cities and towns and other entities to cover select personnel and equipment costs and to foster regionalization,” said Public Safety Secretary Mary Beth Heffernan.
    “We believe a regional communication center like the Sheriff’s, allows for increased and more efficient coordination of a region’s limited emergency response resources.”

By enabling local police departments to rely on a regional entity, they are better equipped to respond to emergencies and will better utilize their sometimes limited resources.

"The development of a regional emergency communications center will have a positive impact by sharing new technologies, saving on redundant systems and allowing for interoperability at local, county, state and federal levels," said Stoneham Police Chief Richard Bongiorno. "Communities served by a regional center will continue to receive exceptional service from police, fire and emergency medical services and will optimize public safety effectiveness."

Read more: Middlesex sheriff's office receives $455,000 grant for regional 911 center - Reading, MA - The Reading Advocate Middlesex sheriff's office receives $455,000 grant for regional 911 center - Reading, MA - The Reading Advocate

2. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Power grab by the sheriff that won't save a dime.

Repeat after me.....care, custody, and transport of inmates either awaiting trial, or serving a house of correction sentence.

3. MSP75

MSP75 Guest

I remember not to long ago, Stoneham was contemplating a reduction in service on the mid-shift. How long before there is a grant for county police services for cash strapped and short-term thinking towns. The PDs might think they are gaining with all this regional stuff, but how long before they phase themselves out to a regional entity, run by "elected" or appointed officials, that does not answer to the individual communities.

4. Edmizer1

Edmizer1 MassCops Member

As soon as the regional dispatchers centers are up and running, it will only be a matter of time before regional police departments get formed.

PBC FL Cop likes this.
  5. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

That will never happen....there has been a law allowing regional police on the books in MA since the 1960's, and the fact that it's never been seriously considered should tell you something. Cities and towns in MA are fiercely protective of their independence, and are not going to give that up without a fight.

6. Killjoy

Killjoy Zombie Hunter

I hope so, apparently 6 communities thought it would be a good idea to give up a measure of their independence concerning public safety. When police jobs start getting cut so regionalized departments can implement "more efficient" patrol plans with less officers, I hope these communities remember they invited the devil in.

7. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Regional dispatch isn't exactly new to MA....they've had one on Martha's Vineyard for probably 30 or more years, but the towns all maintain their own police departments.

---------- Post added at 11:42 ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 ----------

With all due respect to our dispatchers and call-takers, those positions aren't the golden egg of political appointments. Being solely able to appoint police officers and firefighters is a political perk that selectmen and mayors are not going to give up willingly.

8. ecpd402

ecpd402 Subscribing Member

I wouldnt worry about that. They been trying for years to regionalize fire departments. They tried to merge fire 911 calls like this and chelsea pulled out. If they wont regionalize fire they will never do it to police.

9. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Agreed....I'm not in favor of regionalizing anything, my point was that regional dispatch is already here, while regional police and fire districts have never even been seriously considered, never mind implemented, even though there is a provision in MGL for them.

10. MSP75

MSP75 Guest

I get what you are saying. My concern now is that the SO is the conduit for this little step. Just as the Federal .gov dangles the carrot stick to get its policies imposed on the states, so will EOPPS & the SO. A couple of chief's pooling resources is one thing, but hearing the Devil knocking on the door and knowingly letting him in is another.

11. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

I agree completely....my point was that comparing regional police districts to regional dispatch centers isn't a valid comparison, because one (dispatch) already exists, and the other (police) has never even been seriously considered.

12. MSP75

MSP75 Guest

True, but this is Massachusetts and the backroom political deals are always going on. In any event, by then we will all be retired and having M&Gs in Florida.

13. TopCop24

TopCop24 Working in the land of misfit toys

1.4 million??

14. JamnJim18

JamnJim18 Guest

I guess I really stirred the pot with this thread... :skull:

15. chief801

chief801 Subscribing Member

The law you refer to has been expanded significantly, I believe the following statutes were enacted in 2007, maybe 2008, I can't remember...General Laws: CHAPTER 41, Section 99B

16. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Yet, it is still not seriously considered.

Being able to appoint police officers is a political plum that politicians are not going to give up willingly.

17. LGriffin

LGriffin Always Watching

How's this mess working out?

I've got a buddy in CT dept. in need of stats to fight this safety issue before it goes to the Senate for a vote.
    I dug up a few old threads but all related info regarding dispanded centers, towns that pulled out and incidents are appreciated.

18. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

We're facing a possibility of having our dispatchers pulled out of our department and put in a university wide dispatch center. This would include transportation dispatch, maintenance dispatch and so forth. It looks good on paper, but our fear is obvious. A POLICE dispatcher is out sick so a guy from another field covers.

Caller: "Help, I'm bleeding. I need help. I've been stabbed."
    Transportation Dispatcher: "Ok, so where are you? We can't send a bus if you're going to health services you need to call the Police. Oh wait, I'm dispatching for them too. That's too funny. Say, how bad are you bleeding? It could be about 15 minutes, is that OK?"
    Maintenance Dispatcher: "Are you getting blood on the floor? Do we need to send a cleaning team? How much blood are we talking about here?"

And so forth. It scares us, scares us all.

USMCMP5811, mtc, frank and 2 others like this.
  19. PBC FL Cop

PBC FL Cop Subscribing Member

Was the MSO regional dispatch ever implemented?

20. countymountie

countymountie MassCops Member

Did they ever get ch. 90?

LGriffin and frank like this.
  21. Edmizer1

Edmizer1 MassCops Member

I work in an area where over the last dozen years or so seven agencies near me have either built or are planning new stations. Recently, it was brought up that the average cost of each building was about 10 million dollars. At no point from the center of these towns is any distance more than about 15 or 20 miles. Some people have pointed out that if we were regional, we could have built the best station in the history of modern policing for our size and we wouldn't have come near 70 million dollars.

In my town, the finance committee and selectboard are all business people. They are all about cutting costs and consolidating town services. They often cite that in their businesses they have successfullly outsourced wherever possible. Some cops say regionalization will never happen because of politics or turf issues. My personal favorite is that local officers shouldn't be regionalized because they didn't go to the MSP academy. I can tell you that the political decision care know nothing about these issues. They have no idea that these issues even exist. They are focused on the bottom line.

mtc, countymountie and PBC FL Cop like this.
  22. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

Garbage

23. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

Old garbage. ;)

mpd61 likes this.
  24. dave7336

dave7336 MassCops Member

Can they focus on getting a regional lockup first?

Kilvinsky and pahapoika like this.
  25. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

Plymouth is pretty much there. PD's can drop off their arrests at night and the jail will give them a ride to court in the morning :cool:

dave7336 and Kilvinsky like this.