Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone
Wanted to let everyone know that the deadline to register for the Middlesex Sheriff's Office entrance exam is October 15, 2003. The test is scheduled for October 25th I believe at Umass Lowell. They are going to run an 18 week but maybe ????? a 20 week academy........ not sure how many or how soon this academy will start..... good luck to those who are taking it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Do you know what time the test is at? I have repelling training that day but would like to try and fit the exam in if possible...

Thanks! :D

Mike

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MSO test Time

Hey mv577

Registration begins at 8:15am and the test starts at 9am SHARP!!!!! If you are late you will not be allow to take the test. Must have valid ID on you to enter. Good luck!!!!!![/b]

G

·
Middlesex SO

Does the Middlesex SO run their own academy and does that certify it's officers/deputys for corrections, law enforcement or both??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sampsonbbpd

yes they do run their own academy 18 or 20 weeks not sure the length of their next academy. You graduate as a reserve / intermedate PO and a certified CO. So I would say both.... good luck....

·
Subscribing Member
3,273 Posts
If their Academy is 20 weeks, and they cover corrections, law and patrol, why are they only considered certified as reserve/intermediate PO's. What do they need to add to their academy to be certified as full-time law enforcement officers??

·
Subscribing Member
1,322 Posts
PBC,

With the way Mass. is there is no type of program to fill in the gap from having completed a CO Academy and the Reserve/Intermittent Academy to become full time certified. Therefore, someone who completes the Middlesex County Academy (or any other CO Academy combined with the Reserve/Intermittent academy) would still need to attend the roughly 21 week Municipal Police Officer Course (although they would qualify for a waiver for a Special State Police Officer warrant). I know Fla. has a special program for certified CO's to become Certified LEO's but nothing's that logical up here.

·
Subscribing Member
3,273 Posts
The Sheriffs there should sit down with the MCJTC and work out a training curriculum for deputys that would certify them for both corrections and law enforcement. Alot of the curriculum the same, it wouldn't be that difficult.

·
Subscribing Member
460 Posts
PBC

The other thing that you need to keep in mind is that Sheriff's up here pretty much serve in a corrections capacity...Unlike southern and western states...that also have patrol duties..not sure that the MCJTC would go for that...Mass is real funny when comes to how people are certified..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
PBC FL COP

MAN DID YOU SAY IT!!! MASS IS A TOTAL DIFFERENT ANIMAL AND MOST OF THE TIME IT IS NOT A GOOD THING. I KNOW THAT THE MIDDLESEX SHERIFF IS WORKING TOWARDS MORE OUTSIDE LAW ENFORCEMENT FUNCTIONS. THE BRISTAL COUNTY SHERIFF PUT HIS K9 AND SOME DEPUTIES ON STREET PATROL BECAUSE THE CITY OF NEW BEDFORD IS A TOTAL MESS WITH CRIME, MURDER, DRUGS ECT.... I THINK IN TIME YOU WILL SEE MORE SHERIFF OFFICERS ASSISTING LOCAL POLICE DEPARTMENTS WITH PATROL. WE WILL HAVE TO WAIT AND SEE.....

·
Subscribing Member
3,273 Posts
Mass should go to a county system, whether it be Sheriffs or County Police. They should have State Police, City Police and County Police/Sheriff, instead of every small town having its own department. I know in Worcester County they have 64 independant police agencies, which is crazy.

·
Registered
148 Posts
PBC. You'll never see it up here it's called "Politics"

BTW one of the guys that I worked with was either from PBC or Indian River County?? and he came back and took every test that ever was printed without much luck, then someone asked him why he didn't take the waiver.. MCJTC takes lateral waivers from FLA and you just have to pass the firearms portion he makes roughly twice what he did down there..

·
Registered
968 Posts
PBC FL Cop said:
Mass should go to a county system, whether it be Sheriffs or County Police. They should have State Police, City Police and County Police/Sheriff, instead of every small town having its own department. I know in Worcester County they have 64 independant police agencies, which is crazy.
It may seem crazy for you, but for them men and women on these departments it is a career. Some have families that they would like to support. By implementing a county system, you eliminate jobs, because there is no way the all these cops would be employed by a county. To me Florida is heaven's waiting room. Besides Miami and Disney, there is not much down there except retirement communities. Here in Mass, we have quite a bit of young growing communities that require local police depatments and when it goes beyond that, the men and women of the Mass State Police are top notch. So if you like the Floridian style, by all means stay there, but don't try to bring that method up here. It doesn't belong. Of course this is just my :2c: , and is just an opinion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
SHAWNR76

WHY NOT GO TO A COUNTY SYSTEM? ON THE OTHER HAND IT MAY ADD JOBS!!!! ARE YOU A TROOPER? I'M NOT SURE TOP NOTCH IS THE CORRECT WORD TO DESCRIBE THE STATE POLICE. THERE JUST LIKE ANY OTHER DEPARTMENT, THEY HAVE SOME GOOD OFFICERS AND THEY HAVE THE SOME BAD OFFICERS... I DON'T THINK COUNTY POLICE WILL EVER HAPPEN, BUT IT'S JUST A THOUGHT...

·
Registered
968 Posts
Rollydog said:
SHAWNR76

WHY NOT GO TO A COUNTY SYSTEM? ON THE OTHER HAND IT MAY ADD JOBS!!!! ARE YOU A TROOPER? I'M NOT SURE TOP NOTCH IS THE CORRECT WORD TO DESCRIBE THE STATE POLICE. THERE JUST LIKE ANY OTHER DEPARTMENT, THEY HAVE SOME GOOD OFFICERS AND THEY HAVE THE SOME BAD OFFICERS... I DON'T THINK COUNTY POLICE WILL EVER HAPPEN, BUT IT'S JUST A THOUGHT...
Rolly,

I am not a Trooper, they are top notch in what they do (assist locals, patrol major roads, investigations). County isn't a bad system, I just feel that in a State like Mass, that has functioned a specific way for so long, change just doesn't make much sense. I don't see how it would add jobs.....I don't think in an area like middlesex county that has departments with close to a hundred officers each, will justify combining all those officers as a county department. There will be no need for that many deputies. It is just a way I am looking at it, I could be wrong. I apologize if I offended you in any way!

·
Registered
334 Posts
This has gone WAY off topic and most of the current discussion is burning elsewhere on the board. Let's keep it in one place.

Watch your tails on your way out the door folks! :p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.