Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to let everyone know you must fill out the application in person. That will then hold a seat for you on Oct 25th for a written test. There is also a cooper standards PT test. Also EVERYONE must attened their 20 week academey, no exceptions, full time MPOC, etc, dosen't matter according to their HR people.

I don't work there, or know anyone who does, I am just posting what I heard from the Sheriff's Dept. HR people today.

Ken

·
Registered
16 Posts
Middlesex Sheriffs are starting to expand out into the communities somewhat. I know they now have a mobile incident command post and a very elaborate S.O.U. response team. I have even heard a rumor that they have an application into NEMLEC. They are starting to send people to MCJTC academies. They have opened a new training academy in Billerica and the Middlesex Sheriff's academy is close to being an MCJTC academy. Just a little info. Anything else I can help with, let me know.

G

·
Drew said:
Middlesex Sheriffs are starting to expand out into the communities somewhat. I know they now have a mobile incident command post and a very elaborate S.O.U. response team. I have even heard a rumor that they have an application into NEMLEC. They are starting to send people to MCJTC academies. They have opened a new training academy in Billerica and the Middlesex Sheriff's academy is close to being an MCJTC academy. Just a little info. Anything else I can help with, let me know.
I was in Tewksbury a couple of weeks ago and I saw a building on Rte 38 that said Middlesex Sheriffs Office Training center or something like that. Is that where they run there training I thought it was in Billerica.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hunter,

As far as I know, the Middlesex Sheriff's Academy had a "Grand Opening" a few weeks ago at the new Billerica location on Route 3A. I will inquire further about this and get back to you.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Drew, I am pretty sure you are correct; the Middlesex Sheriffs are leasing what used to be the Ditson Elementary School on 3A in Billerica for training purposes. I have not seen the Tewksbury site, guess I should open my eyes since I am on that road at least once a day... :shock:

-Mike

·
Registered
148 Posts
Judging by how many "Deputies" we "arrest" they are not even close to MCJTC status. THe DOC should take them over and they can pt their checkbooks away so that they dont have to keep givng to the Sen's and the Rep's

G

·
thumper2168 said:
Judging by how many "Deputies" we "arrest" they are not even close to MCJTC status. THe DOC should take them over and they can pt their checkbooks away so that they dont have to keep givng to the Sen's and the Rep's
UH?

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
Thumper,

Middlesex County Dep's are JUST starting to expand into LE roles (MCJTC). There are still tons of idiots there whom got on when the Academy was shorter/less training. I spoke to one deputy doing a road detail awhile back and he told me that the Sheriff has been offering/encouraging Dep's to take LE and specialized training and has been sending a few to MPOC and many to the Reserve academy. He also told me that the Sheriff is looking to expand their LE roles through the county. Even the Deputy doing the detail acknowledged that there are tons of idiots who should not be working within the dept.. He also said the Sheriff has made some serious changes to his hiring and training processes so you should see more "better quality" Deputies around very soon. He also indacted that the they're trying to add more LE training to the academy....so don't be surprised to see that the Academy becomes both Corrections and MPOC certified.

Bristol County Deja Vous? At least we can hope they'll be better trained.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yes, they are trying to hire better quality guys BUT, Flynn the Union buster that he is, is giving all the money that should be going to towns and cities to the Sheriff's. I am sick of politics in Mass and that is what the Sheriff's are. I love meeting a Major who has TWO years on the job...They want to come out and patrol the road?? Look at all the stories about the riots in the jails because of lack of funding or understaffing. Yes look we'll get these CO's yelling but we just want to do a job. We'll do it and if you want on the road take the test... When the Berlin, Everett PO or Trooper that really needs that nomex or chem suit when the^%&$^ hits the fan who's gonna have it?? I was a CO and I wanted to get on the road I took the test. If the Sheriifs come out it's gonna be a joke. Like you said they are hiring better guys but take care of the jails first they cant even do that. Dipaulo and Hodgsen (sp??) are two of a kind, hacks that give jobs to other hacks so they can swell their political influence. Just like Flynn who took the money from the control of our local chiefs and gave it to the Mayors. Why would you do that?? So that he has the mayor in the bag now....

·
Registered
174 Posts
It is very simple. County level government is all about politics. The best thing Romney could do for this state is abolish ALL forms of county government!

Ryan

·
Registered
334 Posts
****** WARNING ****************

This thread is about information regarding the Middlesex Sheriffs exam/hiring process/job. Please don't let it degrade into a political battle. If you want to argue the politics, start another thread - be for warned that we've already been down this road and everything worth stating has been said.

Thank You,
Eric

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Middlesex Sheriff's Office just like every other department in the Commonwealth has it's fair share of good officers and it's fair share of idiots. Sheriff DiPaola is hiring quality people and running a much better training academy, 18 weeks including first responder, reserve PO training, defensive driving, MGL's ect... I know some COs are better qualified to work the street than those already working the street. Not all - just some!!!!!!!

Hey thumper
If your sick of politics in MA, I think you better move. The state of MA is run by politics, in the sheriff's offices, state house, govenors office and even every aspect of your home town and department is run POLITICS. Politics are everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
334 Posts
First, same thing MT1 said ^^^^

Rollydog said:
I know some COs are better qualified to work the street than those already working the street. Not all - just some!!!!!!!
CO's are qualified to work in the correctional facilities, not on the street. That's why they are hired and trained. The have no purpose on the street - there are no facilities or prisoners to be monitored on the street!

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
So just to clairfy your answer, that Sheriff's aren't quailfied to work on the street, a Reserve Police Officer is qualified to work on the street, but a Deputy Sheriff isn't? Last time I checked, I attended the MCJTC Reserve Academy, Updates every year, and several specialty training classes with various agencies. But for some strange reason, a Reserve is qualifed and I am not? This isn't a personal attack, but I'm just trying to see the logic in your answers.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Sorry Pearl, that wasn't meant to be offensive, I was being obnoxiously anal and facetious.
:p :)

I wasn't referring to deputys. He said Corrections Officers. I was just saying that literally a "corrections officer" shouldn't be on the street, he should be in the jail. Implying a distinction between CO and Deputy.

:-D

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
Ahh I see, I haven't been around for a few weeks. Missed part of the post. I agree "Corrections Officers" legally and in actuallity aren't qualified to work on the street. A lot of people use the word Deputy and CO interchangebly. I thought that was the case here, but stand corrected. :)

G

·
Rumor around Bean Town has the Sheriff being checked out for some type of $300,000 mobile command post they acquired through a federal grant. Word has it the grant apllication wasnt exactly honest and the feds feel as though they have been fooled by Middlesex Sheriff. Anyone else hear bout this??

G

·
I was in Cambridge court today and I was talking to someone they where saying the same thing, we were curious as to what happens now, I think there going to be able to keep it ( the moblie command truck that is) this from what one of the middlesex guy was saying.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.