Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts
G

·
What is your question? what do you want to know about them? I can help you. I know the people who run it, and I could prbably answer any questions who might have.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was wandering what type work the reserve does, how many hours a month do they work, what are the requirements to join, how to get more info..

Thanks

J

G

·
1st.
if you want to join you need to have a sponsor( someone who is a member)

2nd.
if your sworn is as reserve it's a nice way of saying "Honorary" which in short and in laymans terms means "JACK SHIT". I dont mean to sound sound rude but thats the reality of it.If you pay your $50.00 a year dues and show up to the annual breakfast then you get to carry a badge and ID which doesnt carry much weight if any, atleast not in this state. If you travel to another state where they dont know the difference then it may get you out of a speeding ticket ( I have to say I dont condone this) but it 's the nature of the beast.

3rd.
If you have the reserve/intermitent academy under your belt and an LTC then you can join there program (provided you have a sponsor from a current member and your approved by there board which is a lame interview) if you posess to qualifcations they will swear you in as a regular "Deputy Sheriff", but only to work in specified units, if you are cuaght serving warrants or any tyoe of civil process....well lets just say they really frown on that and the punishment is not worth it. Provided you meet those aforementioned qaulifications and they approve you for membership then you can do more and to make this short and simple it's no differnt than an AUX Police posistion, it is srtictly volunteer "NO PAY". However they do have units you can join like I said as long as you posses the aforementioned qaulifications. But there is a catch to one of there units and that is the motorcycle unit. The only way to join that unit is to purchase ( or already own ) your own police motorcycle ( and if you already own one you have issues,LOL).

Other than that theres not much to it.If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

If you want check out this website it is the Association web site., www.middlesexdeputysherrif.com

Just be cognisant that anything you see one this website has to do with the assoc and sometimes the Sheriffs Dept itself, it kind of hard to make the distinction as to what is what and who is who but just take this website with a grain of salt. What I told you earlier is the real deal. The reason I say this is because the assoc uses the regular dept ( pics and what not ) to bolster there image, also just for FYI if and when your sworn in as a "Reserve Deputy Sheriff" along with your membership you also get a little gold card( atleast it used to be gold) that say's " Being sworn in as a Reserve Deputy Sheriff" does not convey any Law Enforcement Authority What so ever". You do the math what does that tell you, in other words dont even think of playing cop with that badge or appointment, and if you do , holy hell will break loose.

I know I may sound like It happend to me but rest assured it did not what i'm telling you comes from the guys who run it, and I do have a friend who joined for a little while but quit shortly after, when he figured out what they where all about. Oh ya one more thing, it's run by guys who could be your great grandfather.

And you'll have to excuse any typing /spelling errors I made I'm just getting home after double @ work.

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
Wow, I'm surprised that Middlesex still does that. I know when our current Sheriff moved in years ago, all that stuff was squashed for the most part. Seems like a huge liability, and relitivley pointless for a department to be giving these guys badges that mean nothing.

·
Subscribing Member
4,315 Posts
Hi PEARL!

You guys seem pretty squared away. I went to the academy with two Essex County Deputies(one worked in the Drug Unit and the Other Violent Apprehension Unit). Do they send all the deputy sheriffs to the full time academy. These guys even had unmarked take home cars and the salary they were making was better than the towns. How do you get a job in such a unit, do you have to be a CO first? Take care!

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
No not everyone goes to the full-time academy. To be a Deputy Sheriff, you have to attend the Reserve Academy. We do send quite a few people to the full time academy. Usually guys from the different internal and external investigations units. These guys make some good change and have a lot of nice perks. Something I would like to get involved with eventually ;)
When did you go to the academy? I know alot of those guys, probably know them.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Hey Pearl
I don't know why I am even bothering to ask this but Essex isn't hiring at all are they?? I applied to PCSD and major murphy had been telling for months that they were expecting to hire by this past oct. well as you are aware it is now april...and it's still in the air
just wondering
any info would be helpful
PS he also told me that I should get in faster b/c I already have the academy

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
Major Mmurphy....

Now there is a name I have a hard time forgetting.

You ever see a grown man in black BDU's with a campaign hat screaming "SPONGE BOB SQUARE PANTS"

It's not a pretty sight.

Nice enough guy though.

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
Gil, I don't follow you. Who's Major Murphy? My stupid ass must have missed something ;)

SJR, as far as Essex hiring, we don't advertise hiring. At least I've never seen anything. Basically, you send in your application every six months or so, and when a need for an academy comes up, they fire through the pile and pick up who they want. There is a rumor of an upcoming late spring/summer academy, but it hasn't been confirmed. It could be just a rumor...or completley true. Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
Major Murphy runs the corrections academy for Plymouth County Sheriffs Dept.

The 41st had PT with them a few times.

·
Registered
665 Posts
no Gil I can't say that I have ever seen him or any other grown man running around in BDU's yelling that, it was funny though b/c for a while I had only spoken to him over the phone and when I finally met him TOATALLY not what I pictured in my head....I have heard stories though that he can be pretty IRATE at times My uncle is the captain of Barnstable FD and Major Murphy is on the FD too I believe so they are friends and I usually hear one funny story about him at every family function. Murph is a nice guy though yet I haven't had to work under him yet :)

·
Registered
665 Posts
PEARL... I figured they wouldn't advertise..plymouth doesn't either but my question was just if you knew which you answered and if i were to apply would it be a quicker process minus the academy since I have already been?

·
Registered
665 Posts
BTW GIL
How do you like APD?? that is where you work right?? I am only like 90th on the FREAKIN Civil Service list for that town...I live in Norton, I noticed on the list that they don't necessarily rank you by Residency does it not matter to them?

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
Originally posted by sja813:
BTW GIL
How do you like APD?? that is where you work right?? I am only like 90th on the FREAKIN Civil Service list for that town...I live in Norton, I noticed on the list that they don't necessarily rank you by Residency does it not matter to them?
1. I like it

2. It matters very much.

Not sure how old the list you have is but we have hired the first 10 so far and I think that is as far as we are going to go for now. (money troubles like everyone else)

Sitting 90th on the list you might want to think about picking another city or town but in all honesty unless your a minority or a vet you will not get hired anywhere that you do not have residency.

Two test ago I was a resident of Mansfield with a 95 and vet status. #1 in Mansfield (not hiring)#72 in Attleboro, Moved and took the test again.

98 and vet status #2 in Attleboro and #42 in Mansfield.

Hometown residency is a must to get hired. Just my opinion, Norton is probably your best bet.

Back on topic

As far as PCSD I think they are one of the best in the state. What there BCI program does for surrounding towns is great.

Although I am not a big fan of Sheriff McDonough (personal reasons) I think that would be the SD to try for.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Does anyone know anything about the Barnstable County Sheriffs Dept. Academy? A gentleman in my Reserve unit got appointed to it,(along w/his girlfriend), and has no clue yet. Will he get paid while in?? How long and where?? They got acceptance letters for Corrections Officers positions. Thanks gang.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Gil
the reason I said i didn't think it mattered about residency is b/c if you look online at the list some of the people that are toward the top of the list thier residency status is not in attleboro, and they weren't vets...the only chance I think I would possibly have is that I am Female, I scored a 97 on the test 2yrs ago and was in the top 2 for a position recently at norton but deb was above me and already was a reserve, so you know how that goes. so it sucks that my residency is norton b/c they hire so little, it could be another 2yrs before they have the money to hire again

Too bad I'm not a vet

I need to find a bigger dept that hires more frequently I wasn't planning on picking Attl. this time around what do you think?
also any suggestions on a town or city that would give me the most hope?
Central Mass or SE MAss nowhere out in never never land :D
thanks

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.