Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello...can anyone give me the skinny on the difference between MGH police and security?? I am guessing if you are police there you have "special state police" powers and if you are security there you do not??

Also, more importantly, anyone know the specifics on the retirement benefits when you are a Security Officer there?? Years to become vested? Any specifics would be helpful??

Thanks, the Dog...

·
Subscribing Member
383 Posts
"if you are police there you have "special state police" powers and if you are security there you do not?" That is pretty much the only difference between the two. You go on the same calls, do the same job. You become vested after five years of service in your retirement package.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CampusOfficer said:
"if you are police there you have "special state police" powers and if you are security there you do not?" That is pretty much the only difference between the two. You go on the same calls, do the same job. You become vested after five years of service in your retirement package.
Thanks, what are the specifics of the retirement package??

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Subscribing Member
1,169 Posts
I can't say much about MGH, but I do know that Beth Israel is a great paying job with excellent benefits. They are armed police officers with powers under c.22s.63. I believe there are still a couple of openings too.

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
Mitpo62 said:
I can't say much about MGH, but I do know that Beth Israel is a great paying job with excellent benefits. They are armed police officers with powers under c.22s.63. I believe there are still a couple of openings too.
Just a note about the BI Police. Keep in mind we had two Officers from MGH leave to go there... they both left there to return to MGH. The BI has a relatively small Police force and have had huge turnover in less than 2 years since its inception.

·
Subscribing Member
1,169 Posts
With shift differential I believe the starting pay is in the low 40's. And try not to get caught up in all the negative talk. If you're interested go see for yourself what the organization is all about. Good luck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, my initial question was pretty specific about MGH and the "police/security" differentiation, but more importantly what retirement plans they (MGH) offer? You guys can duke it out about which is a better place to work at. Thanks for your feedback.

·
Subscribing Member
1,004 Posts
snapdog said:
Yes, my initial question was pretty specific about MGH and the "police/security" differentiation, but more importantly what retirement plans they (MGH) offer? You guys can duke it out about which is a better place to work at. Thanks for your feedback.
I wouldn't be too hard on MITPO, I think he's just trying to help you out. Besides, your hardly the first to receive unsolicited info about BIDMC and I'm sure you won't be the last. Good luck with the job hunt.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mitpo62 said:
Great paying job, with excellent benefits, armed campus police job. Why would there still be openings for this great job at Beth Isreal? They still haven't filled these positions from a year ago? What gives? I would think that people would be beating the doors down trying to get in. I know that I do not meet the qualifications to work there (no bachelor's degree), but I am sure a lot of people out there are looking for work in this field. MITPO, are you still employed there?

·
BOOM!
1,353 Posts
Future Cop said:
Great paying job, with excellent benefits, armed campus police job. Why would there still be openings for this great job at Beth Isreal? They still haven't filled these positions from a year ago? What gives? I would think that people would be beating the doors down trying to get in. I know that I do not meet the qualifications to work there (no bachelor's degree), but I am sure a lot of people out there are looking for work in this field. MITPO, are you still employed there?
The positions have been filled.......I beleive the current openings are for newly created slots.

·
Subscribing Member
1,169 Posts
No I don't still work there; currently in the academy for my hometown on the southshore. Soxrock is correct; those are for new positions. The requirements for the BA (or any college) is "preferred." The candidate must meet the requirements for the special police powers through c.22s.63, i.e., college with a reserve academy, or fulltime academy (or something like that!). Feel free to speak with Deputy Chief Bonnell at 617-632-8306. He will fill you in on the job and what is expected. Good luck on your endeavor!

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
MGH really didn't impress me. I applied their twice a year and two years ago respectivley. I never even got a phone call back either time. I spoke to a woman in HR, and she was uncooperative. I faxed a copy of my resume to MGH Police's Operations manger, to no avail. I left a message or two, with no call back. Not to toot my own horn, but I see myself as being pretty qualified for that position. If I weren't, I'd have no complaint. Anyway, at least common courtesy would dicate that you would return calls, or provide some sort of response. Not dumping on the department, because I know guys that work there, and I think the department itself is great, but there is something funny about their hiring process.

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
Pearl...

Like most GOOD jobs, you need "Juice". MGH gets 100's of applications a month for our Dept.

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
RPD,

I hear that. I'm not bothered by not getting the job, but more the aggravation I received when calling Human Resources, and the total lack of response from the department. Most departments will at least have the courtesy of sending a pre-printed "we're not interested" card or something of the like. I couldn't even get a clear answer.

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
Yeah, I know it sucks. Its been brought up in the past about sending out cards to at least acknowledge folks, but you can see how far that went. MGH is up to almost 20,000 employees so its a bit rough to handle. There's almost 1,000 inpatient beds, hundreds of people each day in the ER and another several thousands in for scheduled doctor visits. During any given weekday there's 30,000 to 70,000 folks walking through the campus, its clearly a zoo. The Police & Security department is made up of more than 120 employees and growing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.