Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

POSTED: 11:26 am EDT October 29, 2005
UPDATED: 11:44 am EDT October 29, 2005

BOSTON -- The city of Boston has agreed to pay $200,000 to a parking meter attendant who has been out of work since an irate motorist scalded her with hot coffee in January.

The Boston Globe reported that Christi Noviello's settlement with the city also calls for her to resign.

Noviello filed a workers' compensation claim following her run-in with motorist Francois Youhanna outside a Starbucks in Boston's Back Bay neighborhood.

Youhanna allegedly tossed coffee in Noviello's face, giving her first-degree burns, after she gave him a $55 ticket for parking his Hummer is a loading zone.

Noviello also has agreed to settle an unrelated sexual harassment lawsuit she filed against the city in 2003.

Both sides are still working out the final details of the settlement, but a spokesman for Boston Mayor Thomas Menino said the city has not admitted any liability.

Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

·
Super Moderator
7,136 Posts
SOT_II said:
Why does the town have to pay? Shouldn't be the guy who scalded her?
That's what I was thinking...I can understand the city paying her hospital bills from the incident and possibly even lost wages (even though someone else did it), but it seems a wee bit on the extreme side.

I'm sure she can still sue the guy in a civil court too if she wanted to... :musicboo:

·
Subscribing Member
771 Posts
From the Sunday October 30, 2005 edition of the Boston Herald. Appers to be the true story.

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=109493

Meter maid's hot over coffee suit
By Kimberly Atkins
Sunday, October 30, 2005 - Updated: 10:27 AM EST

A Boston meter maid who made headlines after an angry motorist she ticketed doused her with scalding coffee said her joy from settling a civil suit against the city turned to horror when a Boston Globe story yesterday implied the settlement ended her java drama.
On Friday, attorneys for Christi Noviello and the city reached a tacit agreement ending civil workers' compensation and harassment lawsuits against the city, avoiding a trial that was set to start this month.
But Noviello said the muddled wording of yesterday's Globe article - headlined "Meter maid case is settled; harassment suit also agreed upon" - set her phone ringing with concerned friends thinking the case against the alleged coffee hurler, Francois Youhanna, was dismissed.
"I have not even yet sued this guy," Noviello told the Herald yesterday. "I hope he doesn't get up and read the paper and think he's off the hook."
Youhanna, who pleaded not guilty to charges of assault and battery with a deadly weapon and claimed at the time the coffee spill was accidental, is awaiting trial. Noviello said she is also planning a civil suit against Youhanna. A phone number listed to Youhanna was not in service yesterday.
The $200,000 settlement, which attorneys from both sides are expected to finalize soon, ends lawsuits relating to a workers compensation claim filed after the incident, and another suit arising from a harassment claim. Seth Gitell, spokesman for Mayor Thomas M. Menino, said he was pleased the cases were wrapped up.
"The mayor announced that anyone who does harm to a city worker doing their job is unacceptable," Gitell said yesterday. "We are happy to bring this matter to a close."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.