1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Meter maid rage: Hummer-driving halfwit scalds her with Starbucks
By Michele McPhee
Friday, January 21, 2005

A hulking Boston bodyguard was arrested yesterday, accused of hurling a scalding Starbucks coffee at a meter maid who slapped a ticket on his illegally parked Hummer in the Back Bay.

The alleged attack unfolded about 8:30 a.m. when Christi Noviello, 44, was walking her Berkeley and Boylston streets beat and saw the black Hummer parked in a loading zone with a woman in the passenger seat.

``I am a nice meter maid,'' Noviello told the Herald yesterday in an exclusive interview. ``As a courtesy, I gave the lady a chance to move, but she pointed at the Starbucks and refused.''

Noviello wrote a $55 ticket, and slid it under the Hummer's windshield wiper - apparently enraging its driver, Francois Youhanna.

``He started yelling, `I don't accept this ticket!' He had a Venti-sized cup of black coffee in his hand, and he flung it right in my face,'' said Noviello, just hours after she was treated for first- and second-degree burns on her face and upper torso at New England Medical Center.

``I went down, I was panicking. It hurt so bad, I thought my face was falling off,'' she said. ``It was in my eyes, I was screaming.''

Starbucks employees rushed out of the store with wet cloths to soothe the burns, as cops arrested Youhanna for assault and battery with a deadly weapon, the hot coffee, which is a felony.

Youhanna insistedhe spilled the coffee on Noviello by mistake after slipping on some ice and falling, a story his female companion echoed. But witnesses said Youhanna - who is 6-foot-2 and 200 pounds - charged at the meter maid and was very close to her face when the coffee was thrown.

He told cops he owned Gavilier Security Patrol, a bodyguard service that lists his West Roxbury home as the company's address. When a relative was reached at Youhanna's home, the man hung up when asked to comment on the incident.

Youhanna, a native of Lebanon, pleaded not guilty yesterday in Boston Municipal Court and was released on personal recognizance on condition he stay out of trouble and away from the meter maid. A pretrial conference date was set for Feb. 23.

Last year, 16 meter maids were physically assaulted and another 48 were threatened or harassed, said Tom Tinlin, deputy commissioner of the Boston Transportation Department.

``It's appalling. This behavior should not be tolerated in a civilized world,'' Tinlin said yesterday. ``Christi is one of the nicest people I know. For her to be subjected to such behavior while performing your job is a disgrace.''

·
Subscribing Member
308 Posts
what a shitbird. He screams that he doesnt accept the ticket. Appeal it and go to the hearing like every person that gets a parking ticket. Then he claims it was an accident. Sounds like someone has some anger issues.

·
1,334 Posts
``He started yelling, `I don't accept this ticket!"
Boo Hoo! Maybe next time he should go through a DD drive-through instead of thinking he is elite and parking his hummer wherever the hell he wants. Its not Lebanon where there is no order, if nobody has clued him in so far, there are laws to follow in the U.S., even if over a $55 parking ticket.

·
Czar of Cyncism and Satire
2,070 Posts
Try owning a security company in the Commonwealth with a felony conviction on your record. Ain't gonna' happen. Hope they throw his azz in jail.

While I am not a big fan of the way SOME of the Boston parking enforcement officers work, I have met this lady & she is quite nice. Hope this Leb isn't a naturalized citien & he gets a one way ticket back to the Holy Land. HC

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,774 Posts
Certain cultures seem to have a problem when dealing with women in authority. (maybe in this case) In any event maybe somebody should just pour hot java on his balls and call the State Police Licencing Unit.

·
Subscribing Member
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"And he kept kicking me": Meter maid recalls attack
By Michele McPhee
Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Until that awful night when an irate driver kicked her in the back, knocked her to the ground and beat her on the head with her own radio as she tried to call for help, meter maid Patricia Butler was a feisty and spirited woman.

Today, Butler, 55, is physically and psychologically scarred from the Halloween 1997 attack at the hands of a 22-year-old Braintree man protesting a $40 no-stopping ticket at Tremont and Boylston Streets by the Common.

``I'll never forget it. I wrote the ticket and was walking down the street when I felt a hard kick, like someone running behind me jumped in the air and booted me in the back. I went down and he kept kicking me in the head,'' Butler told the Herald.

Memories of that dark night came flooding back to Butler last week after she saw the burned face of another meter maid on the front page of the Herald, a day after that woman was attacked by an illegally parked Hummer driver who allegedly threw coffee in her face.

``I loved the job. That day ruined my life,'' said Butler, who lives in a South Boston housing development for the elderly and disabled. ``Then I read it happens to someone else? When is the city going to wake up and realize we need protection out there?''

Thursday's attack on Christi Noviello, 44, left her attacker, Francois Youhanna, 34, facing 10 years in prison for felony charges of assault and battery with a deadly weapon: the 180-degree venti Starbucks black coffee.

The man who confessed to beating Butler unconscious in 1997, Anil Batra of Braintree, was also charged with assault and battery with a deadly weapon - his foot - but was sentenced to six months' probation and ordered to attend anger management classes.

Batra, now 29, has since relocated to North Carolina, where he could not be reached for comment.

Butler's life was changed forever. She walks with a cane, takes an arsenal of anti-anxiety medication and has an irrational fear of going outside alone.

She retired from the Boston Transportation Department with seven years of service and a 70 percent pension. Still, Butler said, she ``has never been right since.''

Tom Tinlin, Deputy Commissioner of the Boston Transportation Department, said that meter maids are well-protected by a unit of Boston police detectives. However, the protection unit is not extended on every shift or in every neighborhood, he said.

``The attacks on Patty and Christi were disgusting and vicious. However, when you look at the amount of tickets we write every year, these two incidents do not suggest people are unsafe,'' Tinlin said.

Noviello, who has still not returned to work, said until Thursday she felt safe, adding: ``It would make me feel better to have a cop right behind me, though.''

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.