Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Do you think that the County Sheriff's Departments should be absorbed by the Massachusetts Departmen

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Even though the mission is the same (to protect the public) the methods are totally different. Thats like saying that all City and Town police could be absorbed by the State Police. Believe it or not, not all the Sheriff's are looking to intrude into Police work, they have some resources that Police need (information, Technology, housing) if you need it fine, if you don't, thats fine too. The differences are the amount of time that inmates are serving. Im not saying who is better (Sheriff's vs. DOC) just different. The Patrolman who works in say Plympton and the Patrolman who works in Brockton are the same job, but yet totally different. I dont know if this helps or not. forgive me for the rant. :sb:

·
2,297 Posts
Even though the mission is the same (to protect the public) the methods are totally different. Thats like saying that all City and Town police could be absorbed by the State Police. Believe it or not, not all the Sheriff's are looking to intrude into Police work, they have some resources that Police need (information, Technology, housing) if you need it fine, if you don't, thats fine too. The differences are the amount of time that inmates are serving. Im not saying who is better (Sheriff's vs. DOC) just different. The Patrolman who works in say Plympton and the Patrolman who works in Brockton are the same job, but yet totally different. I dont know if this helps or not. forgive me for the rant. :sb:
They did it in CT. County Jails are run by DOC. It works fine.

·
2,297 Posts
Conn. now has Marshals instead of deputies. So what has changed besides the name?
The SD's were merged with the DOC. Now DOC Personnel staff all county jails. There are NO LE/Correction Deputies in CT. If you work for CT DOC you could be stationed at say, New Haven CC (County Jail) or Northern Correctional (Supermax Prison).

The Sheriffs Dept ran Court Security until it was abolished due to numerous scandals. Now the Marshals run Court Security.

·
Czar of Cyncism and Satire
2,070 Posts
Aww Hell, while we are at it, why not just consolidate the Court Officers into the DOC as well as the Sheriff's Departments? Make the courts and DOC / SD all one big happy family.

Well some of you may sense the humor in the above post but some will take it literally as it is written. I am not in favor of merging anybody. Last merge I saw was around 1992/1993 and I still hear bitches & moans coming from those guys. Even though they got to retire with an extra 5 years, better rank structure and a HUGE pay raise. They even had t-shirts made up saying their job was now dead with a headstone on it with RIP M__ 1993. A bit childish? Perhaps.

I am in favor of merging all the Sheriff's Departments into one big unit, with just 1 Sheriff to run the whole thing state wide. Savings for 13 Sheriffs at $150K each + bennies etc..... Well you do the math. Never mind their support staff, Special Sheriff's etc... Remember, County time is up to 2 1/2 years while State time is 2 1/2+

The DOC/SD merge probably won't happen because of union issues. Look at the amount of $$ spent by these unions each election cycle to politicians & you will see that they have a powerful voice on Beacon Hill.

·
Subscribing Member
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Eddie for once you and I agree on an issue. The problem with any merge would be the politcal lobbying by the Sheriffs and their loyalists to stop it from happening. I would assume to abolish 13 county sheriffs offices it would require ratifying the Mass Constitution, and after the Gay Marriage nightmare I dont two thirds of the nitwits at the state house agreeing to anything like that. Oh well just another idea gone.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Wouldn't have to change a thing just leave the Sheriff as the figure head or get rid of County Govt. like we already for once and save us all some money so we can spend it on the right things.. 98% of the Deputies would love this because they are hard working guys behing the wall and would love the pay raise, as they dont kiss ass and try to get an outside hack job......

G

·
thumper2168 said:
Wouldn't have to change a thing just leave the Sheriff as the figure head or get rid of County Govt.
Getting rid of county government is an excellent idea, but if we left the Sheriffs as a figurehead, what exactly would they do without Sheriff's Departments? They'd just be more politically connected hacks, only with zero responsibilities. Like we have a shortage of those right now.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Seniority, time in for shifts / days off, (State / County CO's) would be the driving edge that will never let this happen.

We in the DOC will never let it happen being in fear of our seniority dates. Those in the County will never let it happen being in fear of losing their seniority dates.

·
Needs more complaints
4,309 Posts
GateKeeper said:
Seniority, time in for shifts / days off, (State / County CO's) would be the driving edge that will never let this happen.

We in the DOC will never let it happen being in fear of our seniority dates. Those in the County will never let it happen being in fear of losing their seniority dates.
It happened with the MSP. People got screwed, but it happened anyway.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,803 Posts
SinePari said:
It happened with the MSP. People got screwed, but it happened anyway.
Thank God I got to keep my mustache!
:fun:

·
Registered
186 Posts
If your talking about saving money, you could also go the other way and say get rid of town Police Dept's and merge them with the Sheriffs Dept. like down south and leave the big cities like Boston, Worcester, and Springfield; this way you could get rid of 325 or so Police Chiefs at salories of $85'000-$150'000 look at all the money the state would save then. Just a thaught if the idea is to save money.

·
Registered
689 Posts
DODK911 said:
If your talking about saving money, you could also go the other way and say get rid of town Police Dept's and merge them with the Sheriffs Dept. like down south and leave the big cities like Boston, Worcester, and Springfield; this way you could get rid of 325 or so Police Chiefs at salories of $85'000-$150'000 look at all the money the state would save then. Just a thaught if the idea is to save money.
Not to mention it would probably increase professionalism in the rural areas like Franklin Co. Some of those little depts are quite...."unique?......:jestera: But don't tell the Chiefs that!:sh:

·
8,803 Posts
DODK911 said:
WHOA!!!!!
:eek:
What municipal chief is funded by federal or state funds or grants? Arguably a verrrry small percentage of patrol positions are funded that way. Remember that some municipalities lay off cops from time to time due to budget cuts, their own local budget. Theres no savings to the Commonwealth here.

Secondly, very few municipalities would see any tangible benefit from shifting over to Sheriffs. No deputies are going to have the more intimate and focused knowledge of a municipal officer serving his single town. Response time and number of personnel available would be impacted. Lets spend more time and $$$ sending most of these deputies through the FT Police academy. Lets spend some more $$$ on setting up the required communications net and other infra-structure changes required for the sub-stations where these deputies would have to operate from. Probably have to buy more cruisers $$$, or maybe we could just spend a little bit more $$$ by painting/lettering/standardizing the cruisers that the Sheriffs would take over from the towns. Oh, maybe the towns would rather not give up the cars, they ask for a fair price $$$ from the county. Oh Damn, we're in Massachusetts, most county gov't has been eliminated except for registry of deeds.
:sh:
Relax my federal friends. I know one of you stated earlier that he got no courtesy from a local once. Think a deputy will treat you different?

Sheriffs taking over patrol in Massachusetts is a controversial subject. At the current state of affairs, it's actually quite impractical! And as Arte Johnson always said;
"verrrrrry interesting, but schtupid"
:jestera:

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm not in a huff brother, the post was about merging two different agencies to save money and combining 13 Sheriffs position would save a lot of money, and all I was saying is if we eliminated 320 or so Police Chiefs look at the savings there, but your right towns are not funded by the state, so your not really saving the state much money. You got me there It was a bad comparison.

P.S. I have never had trouble getting courtesy when needed, its just there is no brotherhood (for the most part) amoungst LEO's in this state.

G

·
The Sheriffs are a strong political force and suck in state funds like a black hole. That is where money would be saved.

G

·
DODK911 said:
Cities and towns will never give up their authority to appoint their own police officers. MGL 41-99C allows the establishment of regional police districts, which would make perfect sense for small PD's out west, but no one has taken advantage of it yet.

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/41-99c.htm

·
8,803 Posts
Delta784 said:
Cities and towns will never give up their authority to appoint their own police officers. MGL 41-99C allows the establishment of regional police districts, which would make perfect sense for small PD's out west, but no one has taken advantage of it yet.

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/41-99c.htm
Excellent points my well-paid municipal brother-in-arms
:rock:

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.