medical transport by police | MassCops

medical transport by police

Discussion in 'Civil Law' started by MPD119, Aug 2, 2018.

1. MPD119

MPD119 MassCops Member

Any laws that says police can not do medical transport in Massachusetts?

2. RodneyFarva

RodneyFarva Get off my lawn!

We'll look but I think if you can articulate the exigency of the circumstances you should have no problems.

3. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

Or work for a university in which case police WILL do medical transports unless it's serious. Mumps is not considered serious by some administrations.

j809 likes this.
  4. MPD119

MPD119 MassCops Member

I was told that by law, municipal police in massachusetts can not transport sick and injured people.

5. RodneyFarva

Yeah but tell that to the parents of a kid you just pulled out of a pool, and you are waiting for your "on call ambulance crew" to sign on while your partner is trying to breathe life back into him.

Now could it also be a violation of your department protocol and procedure, maybe.

Chapter 111C

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    FTH likes this.
  6. RodneyFarva

I did find this old sop from Boston police.
    "Sec. 1 GENERAL CONSIDERATIONS: Traditionally police officers have been expected to have more than ordinary knowledge about first-aid and the care and treatment of the injured. In order to prepare members of this force to cope with the many demands for their assistance this department has maintained instructional courses so that all sworn personnel would be able to assist the sick and injured. However, it must be remembered by all department personnel that according to medical authorities, and in compliance with Massachusetts General Law Chapter 111-C, police are required to, and will better aid the victim, by waiting for an ambulance. It is understood that tremendous pressure will be placed on officers by family and people at the scene to immediately transport the victim to the hospital. Therefore, the procedures prescribed by this rule shall be strictly complied with"

Attached Files:

Kilvinsky likes this.
  7. Treehouse413

Treehouse413 MassCops Member

Well let them sue me, that’s why I pay $250 a year to MPA legal defense . Best insurance policy going .

8. Kilvinsky

It truly is a good investment. I'm just grateful to have a HELL of Union lawyer in my corner. But honestly, even with a great lawyer, MPA Defense fund is a good thing to invest in.

9. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

It’s not that great. Ask the two guys from Massasoit where it became too expensive and they were dropped. They only spend little time and money on you, after that you’re on your Own. Read the fine print

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mpd61 and MiamiVice like this.
  10. 02136colonel

02136colonel Supporting Member

No law against it. Mattapoisett PD runs the town ambulance, the State Police have an ambulance and Hamilton PD used to run an ambulance. All staffed at least in part by Cops. As far as transporting in a cruiser, you’ve got to weigh the drawbacks of the cruiser (less patient care space and equipment and less manpower than an ambulance) against the time it will take for an ambulance to arrive. I know Boston PD strongly discourages using cruisers for medical transports, but it’s been done in life-threatening emergencies. I know the D4 wagon crew transported a critical GSW to BMC once.

Kilvinsky and RodneyFarva like this.
  11. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

Poor guy. The D4 wagon is quite possibly the filthiest department vehicle in the city.

12. Kilvinsky

To preface this post, I have ALWAYS LOVED Department websites that have a section with a history of the department, especially if there are pictures. It's so nice to see where departments come from and where they are now and where they might be going.

I say that because several years ago, my hometown PD (where my Dad worked for about 40 years) once had a magnificent history section and in one picture from, shit, maybe the late 70s, it showed the entire fleet of marked cars with many of the cops standing by. The cruisers were Cruiser/Ambulances and the fleet was probably the only RAINBOW FLEET in the nation (for reasons that should be obvious....unless you take into consideration the current use of the "RAINBOW", then it becomes complicated).

My town had cruiser/ambulances or as some call them, ambulettes for many years. My current job had them for several years as well. It was not uncommon way back when. Then, the Lawyers came.

My town PD also DID run the actual ambulance for several years but as far as I'm concerned (MHO) cops have enough to keep up on. Ambulance service should either be left strictly to EMS professionals as a separate entity or within the Fire Department (AS SEEN ON TV!).

But don't kid yourselves gang, Police have been transporting the sick and injured for CENTURIES and at least where I work, will ALWAYS do it if an ambulance isn't 'required'.

:rolleyes:

CCCSD likes this.
  13. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

Oh my FAWKING GAWD!!!!! Yimmy!
    You just re-animated and sparked my PTSD from that terrible incident! Two lives ruined after both AFSCME and MPA failed MISERABLY to stay the course.
    Gag me.jpg

Hush and j809 like this.
  14. USM C-2

USM C-2 MassCops Member

Hah! I know of one South Shore town with a different colored patrol car for each patrol sector. Always thought it looked odd.

15. CCCSD

CCCSD MassCops Member

So did they switch sectors just to throw off the Sgt? Wait. The Red car is supposed to be...waaaa?

Kilvinsky likes this.
  16. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

When they call a code brown, do all the colors of the rainbow respond?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    Kilvinsky likes this.
  17. Kilvinsky

I would bet you're thinking of my home town! Theory was, the citizenry could call the station and say, "The Green Police Car was on my street. Why was that car there?" and the department could say, "Hmmm, that street is covered by the YELLOW police car. Why WAS the GREEN ONE THERE?" "The Red car cut me off!" "We know who was driving the RED car and we'll deal with it."

And so forth. I got to drive a couple and always felt funny. Especially the RED car since I felt like a firefighter, which I never wanted to be. Too much ladder climbing! :rolleyes:

18. USM C-2

USM C-2 MassCops Member

If your hometown was just west of Carver, then you're right!

19. Kilvinsky

Nope, farther north. I'm shocked my town wasn't the only one to do that.

20. USM C-2

USM C-2 MassCops Member

How about a town where the sectors spelled out the name of the town?

Kilvinsky likes this.
  21. Kilvinsky

That could be a total bitch in anytown where there are double letters or where letters are in the name more than two times, GrEEnfiEld for example. FrEEtown? "Sector "E" come in." "Which ONE control? The left or the right one?" Avon, that could work.

Goose likes this.
  22. CCCSD

CCCSD MassCops Member

At least you don’t live in Twix Twnshp...

23. USM C-2

USM C-2 MassCops Member

If I recall correctly, it was "R" and "R2." So, yeah....

Kilvinsky likes this.