Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Medical Coverage Costs

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Capt. Kirk 
#1 ·
I was wondering what percentages, employees are required to pay in their municipalities. right now our town pays 90% and we pay 10%. They want to increase our contribution to 30% and they would pay 70%. This is a huge increase for us and I wanted to know what some of you guys(gals) pay.

#2 ·
Right now the Town Pays 80% and the we pay 20%. The Town Mgr. wants to raise that to 70/30, but from what I understand all the unions are telling him to get bent. We are in Negotiations now and have been w/out a contract since July when the rates went up. So, in essence we took a pay cut until we sign a contract and get the ususal 9% over three yrs.

G
#5 ·
We recently went from 15% to 20% without any bargaining from the city. They did reserve the right to crank it up to the 20% range but we filed an unfair labor practice for not bargaining. Just another way they chip away at our raises and since we are 2 years without a contract....................

When the US was in having a revitalized economy in the mid to late 90's the city was still offering 2% & 3% raises with no retro pay to the average city worker. Now that the economy is in the shitter, they are still offering these pittances to us and no retro. What gives here? While everyones stock portfolio was exploding (including the cities & towns bond ratings) why weren't we given what we were deserved?

Supposedly all city contracts will be settled before the DNC comes to town. Fat chance of that happening. With the city offering goose eggs and one time $2,000 bonuses each year for 3 years to certain unions, I don't think they'll be much harmony & good relations between Hizzonah & the unions. I for one look forward to being on the picket line & showing the "Democrats" what the city has done for the average worker. Basically put me in the poor house.

If the membership takes these "bonuses" then they will not be factored into base pay or overtime pay or into your retirement. They will be taxed and you will end up with probably $1,200. Probably enough to pay the rent or 2/3 of your mortgage for 1 month if you are lucky.

I made less money in 1994 but with the cost of inflation, health care premiums and co-payments and all this other s#it going up repeatedly year after year, I make less now than I did then.

G
#7 ·
C.K.

About time someone agrees with me on this board! The only thing lately is we all agree to disagree.

Seriously though, from what I am told there isn't going to be any finalization of contracts before the DNC comes to town. They said it would be OK if the unions are settled or in arbitration by the time they get here. I'll let a judge or an unbiased arbitrator decide what I am worth. We can't go wrong if the best they are offering is ZERO percent.

Where's the incentive to come to work and do a decent job if that's what management thinks of you? We were told when we went to group 4 that ".....the housing police job is no more inherintly dangerous than any other BHA employees job...." What are they smoking downtown??

I say keep their feet to the fire and see where it leads us. On another note I hear that towns from the Metropolitan area will be suiting up to come into Boston to do crowd control for the DNC. I'll start a thread on that.

#9 ·
I am not sure what the exact percentage is for my health insurance is but it is about $9 or $10 bucks a week.
But I chose one of thecheaper plans and I am single.
I didn't have any insuracne before I got on so no complants in that dept. really.
I am paying more now because the rates just went up in july.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.