Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On every channel I watch I see how that "brave, patriotic" POW chick is making her glorious return to her hometown. WTF there were 5 other POWs with her! Are they focusing on her becuase shes the most attractive on camera?
This kind of stuff pisses the crap out of me, shes getting all kinds of attention becuase she spent a week in captivity. No one else picked up that she stated she wants to discharge from the military ASAP. God Bless CNN! :BM:
bottom line: WHO F*%KING CARES! whew I feel better

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,711 Posts
Re: Glorious return home

Mikey682 said:
On every channel I watch I see how that "brave, patriotic" POW chick is making her glorious return to her hometown. WTF there were 5 other POWs with her! Are they focusing on her becuase shes the most attractive on camera?
This kind of stuff pisses the crap out of me, shes getting all kinds of attention becuase she spent a week in captivity. No one else picked up that she stated she wants to discharge from the military ASAP. God Bless CNN! :BM:
bottom line: WHO F*%KING CARES! whew I feel better
Mikey!
I'm surprised at you. Calm down buddy! Don't blame the young woman for the media attention.
:shock:

O.K. listen. She did volunteer for the military. She did go overseas into hostile environment. She took a few rounds/knocks while performing her duty. she did receive SERIOUS injuries. She got a purple heart. Now she wants to go home. What makes her different from Audie Murphy? He got out and starred in the Hollywood version of his life. Don't begrudge her, or belittle her sacrifice.

Maybe she didn't take out 100 Iraqi's with her bare teeth and hands, BUT you can't say she didn't take a few for the team! She is not EVER going to be the same person she was before she joined up. Try to remember that.
:roll:

·
Subscribing Member
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Glorious return home

This is true Mpd, my murderous rage is more with the media coverage, or non-coverage of the other 5 released POW's. I didnt mean to say she shouldnt be recognized, but wheres the 15 minutes of fame for the non 19 year old hotties?

It appears people have misunderstood, and my beef may have spilled over into her individual circumstances, that was not purposeful. But it seems to me that the media is ignoring others that deserve recognition becuase they lack a pretty face. And for those offended, I apologize.

The reason why I am so vocal about this becuase I'm just sick and tired of seeing the same report about the same person over and over again while families of over 150 dead soldiers get close to nothing.

·
Out of the Loop
2,512 Posts
I agree with your point of the media singling out this one young woman. I heard on the radio this morning that there will be a made-for-TV movie, but they want to change the story to make her seem for heroic for the sake of the viewing audience rather then showing what really happened (as Hollywood always does anyway). The other POW's should all be treated equally, I am just as interested in their stories.

It's an example of how American values are swayed by emphasis from the media on pop culture and eye candy and not on the substance of the matter.

What really burns me is when I hear people commenting that women should not be involved in combat or put in a position by the military where stuff like this will happen. One former marine I spoke to said that no one wants women fighting because no one wants to watch a woman suffering or dying. Well whoopdie-friggin-do! Like any women want to see men OR women suffering! There is no reason for women not to be able to serve the same as men, and especially not because some men "just don't like it." If you want to volunteer your service for the good of our nation, then go for it, and thank you for doing it while others who are just as capable won't. Woman or man, we are all human beings.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hate to bring this up, but chances are that it was not just beatings she endured. Chances are, as history has shown, Iraqi soldiers most likely brutally raped her as well. During the Gulf War, just about every woman in Kuwait that Iraqi's got their hands on were raped, young or old. Even some of the men were brutalized, before they were killed. Hopefully the military grants her separation, she will never be the same person again...with or without the media.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Here is the Gary LaPierre version. I tend to agree with it.

LaPierre on the Loose!
Every Tue.-Thur. Afternoon on WBZ NewsRadio 1030

(July 23, 2003)-
Wednesday:

There are some among us who have a difficult time expressing joy, happiness and victory over the demise of Udai and Qusai, (or the death of anyone for that matter) but forgive the lack of crocodile tears from the rest of us who are still waiting to see Saddem's head on a stick being paraded through the center of town. I'm convinced, we're gonna get him, and I bet it won't be too long. But for now, Udai-Qusai-EADDAY!

One story I've avoided comment on since it happened four months ago, is the Jessica Lynch story and my wish today is that the rest of the "blabmeisters" in this business do the same, starting now. She's home, she's safe, she got a heroes welcome, she's got more recuperating to do, and God knows I thank her for her service to the country and wish her well. And that's where the story should end. What we need right now is "and they all lived happily ever-after" because the only way this story is going to have a happy ending, is to end it right here. Oh I know that won't happen! The vultures in this business will continue to dig and dig and dig for every intimate and maybe gory detail of what happened to Jessica Lynch and trust me, as sure as God made little green apples, we have seen everything, I mean "everything" that is "good", to come out of this story. Done! Finito! Kaput! The End!
One other quickie... Jack Russell from Great White... do everyone a favor and just go away. Trust me, the music world will survive without another piece of noise from you or your group.

G

·
Most soldiers don't care if they don't get personal attention in the media. They want the American public to understand the dangers of battle and to "support the troops". When the public and the media find a story that touches them and helps them embrace the military, how can that be wrong. It surely is better than all the other stories with the liberal slant.
The same goes as a law enforcement officer. I prefer to avoid the media, but I love when another Trooper/PO/Deputy is the focus of good attention. It looks good for the job.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.