Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any college pd use mobile data terminals, specifically with CJIS access? We are attempting to purchase some and need specifics, ie vendors, necessary equipment, etc. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Subscribing Member
1,151 Posts
JP64,

We did have one (FSCPD) but Framingham PD now uses it in their Incident Command Unit and unmarked low profile cars. Looks like FSCPD is going mobile again in the near future with terminals in 2 of the 3 cruisers. It was a great tool linked with FPD Dispatch / Patrol Units. The MDT was not mounted in the cruiser but housed in a case and moved from car to car (Senior Patrolman or Sergeant on duty).

·
Subscribing Member
4,316 Posts
The MDTs most popular MDT 9100 were discontinued for a while now and no longer have access to CHSB. They could only be used on a close system, for example car to car communications. To get laptops in the car you are talking big money. The cheapest solution if you were to start from scratch would be to use POCKETCOP, it's a full system, $2000 for server, $1500 per each unit license fee and annual fees as well as $40-50 a month for each unit from Verizon. We use PacketCluster and I think it's a much better system, especially the latest version. Don't forget that all laptops right now are either RF or CDPD. CDPD is limited to 19.2 KPS and will be shut down soon.The switch over to CDMA 56Kps should be this July but the CHSB still needs to iron out some issues. PacketCluster Software is big money, more than POCKETCOP. The other solution is to find a regional server, Brookline PD has one, pay the fee to get on their server and monthly fees and $1500 for each laptop license. Either way, it''s an expensive operation.

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
H50 what are the major changes in the new version of PacketCluster? Do you still need to hit Alt X to view mass plates after running them? That is the biggest pain. I would like it come up the way RI or other states do just run the plate and the info gets displayed.

And whats this with CDPD being shut down? We addressed some connections issues with Verizon and they did indicate that no further work was going to be done with CDPD and in short to suck it up because it will not be addressed but nothing about shutting it down, although 56K will seem like broadband after connecting at 19.2 for so long.

PacketCluster TIP:

When running out of state plates a lot like we do here. just use the paste option... At that the start of the shift I run a RI plate "plate-number/PC/RI

I then just copy the /PC/RI and then any other RI plates I run, I just enter the plate number and hit Ctrl V and enter. It's a little faster than trying to enter /PC/RI for every plate. Of course of the plate type id differ you will have to do it the long way.

Ctrl C =Copies Ctrl V = Pastes

·
Subscribing Member
4,316 Posts
Gil baby,
I think you guys have the older version we had the ALT-X. This new interface is the bomb. It has an all new state interface, high res, you enter a plate, it will give you the main screen like the old one with all info on one page, oln status,reg status, etc. But if you scroll down with she arrow key you see the actual R screens from RMV, BOP Summary and you can do BOPS, we don't do that. PM me and I will give you more info. As long as you have the service agreement from Cerulean you get the new version for FREE. Just make sure your laptops can handle it. Our older ones could not, we got Dell LAtitude D600, excellent with 4 yr waranty for everything, better than the warranty Toughbooks offer. As far as CDPD, yes that will be shut down this year, call CHSB or Verizon. We have GPS in our cruisers and replaced our older Sierra Wireless MP-200 with Airlink Pinpoint Modems. We get a free update to CDMA modems due to GPS package from TRANSCOR. Call Cerulean and they will ship you a CD with a product tour. Take care!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Gil,
We're running 4.3 here too stop by sometime and we'll show you if your interested or just take a peek next time we make a Xfer at the "four corners".

Any Technical ?'s I'll direct you to Ellsworth!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm not sure this is still the case, but last I heard packetcluster wouldn't sell to unarmed agencies...... maybe this is only a rumor?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.