Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our department recently swapped from packet cluster to IMC, which is linked to our CAD system at the department. Packet Cluster seemed user friendly, simple to use and navigate through the different screens/queries.

In the recent switch to IMC, it appears to be lacking in the information it provides (does not automatically run a Q2 ONE :cussing:even when prompted to) and has way too many windows on the screen at once to jump through. Wondering if any other departments have had similar problems or if it just maybe the admin has not set the system up to maximize its abilities. Just curious.

·
Registered
225 Posts
IMC Mobile sucks. PacketCluster is the way to go. They also have a new PackCluster Version out that brings up photos, new interface but they are working out some bugs. Get rid of IMC from the cars and hook Packet Cluster back.

·
Registered
59 Posts
We use both Packetcluster & IMC in our laptops. Our dispatched calls, NCIC, etc are through packetcluster & reports, citations, in-house record checks are done through IMC mobile. All reports done in station are through IMC. System works pretty good most of the time, although it does have it's bugs.

·
Subscribing Member
1,442 Posts
My department also switched recently to IMC mobile from packet cluster. It has its pros and cons. I like the access to in house records and license pictures. Both systems seem to be getting slower by the minute and the CJIS seems to be down more then its up. I hope when we get off CDPD things will be better.

·
Registered
778 Posts
We dropped Packet Cluster and went exclusively with IMC. It's horrible. The bad guy is two towns away by the time your listings come back. Too many "pull down" menu's to be useful while mobile. It saved us $$$ to make the switch but at the cost of reliability and ease of use.

·
Subscribing Member
1,442 Posts
We made the switch from cdpd to verizon cdma. Still slow and down more then it is up. :BM:

However, IMC is always looking for feedback on it software and we have already received an upgrade for the mobile package. It is supposed top address some of the more common complaints that people have had. Once our in house computer geek installs it I will let you all know if it is any better.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Frank...

Be thankful you are not using Micro Systems' mobile system in your cars. Way too many screens to check after running a simple registration or name check. The program lacks the simple hot keys that were found on PacketCluster's system. We tested a few newer systems but the department opted to stay with Micro Systems. Supposedly, they have a new program due out any time now ( of course they have been saying this for over a year!).

·
Subscribing Member
431 Posts
Hey at least all you guys have a system to Bitch about. We have not had an MDT system in 4 years. Evertything is done through the radio. If we need a picture .............. Call for a car to go get it a the station............ Sweet system!!LOL

·
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bpd145 said:
Frank...

Be thankful you are not using Micro Systems' mobile system in your cars. Way too many screens to check after running a simple registration or name check. The program lacks the simple hot keys that were found on PacketCluster's system. We tested a few newer systems but the department opted to stay with Micro Systems. Supposedly, they have a new program due out any time now ( of course they have been saying this for over a year!).
It is like they hold the carrot in front of us and take it back real quick with the "it should work fine when the new upgrade is done". Three or four upgrades in four months of the system on our MDT's and were still waiting :sl: . You have to love technology

sempergumby said:
Hey at least all you guys have a system to Bitch about. We have not had an MDT system in 4 years. Evertything is done through the radio. If we need a picture .............. Call for a car to go get it a the station............ Sweet system!!LOL
Atleast the dispatchers give all the info when I request a Q2 ONE, more than I can say for the rotten computers (which have no pictures available on ours either). :FT:

·
Subscribing Member
1,442 Posts
Atleast the dispatchers give all the info when I request a Q2 ONE, more than I can say for the rotten computers (which have no pictures available on ours either). :FT:[/QUOTE]

I wish, Getting dispatchers to do anything is like pulling teeth. They would have to stop watching TV and leave the internet gambling for a minute or get out of the god dam chat rooms ! ! !! ! ! ! ! ! !:letitall:

·
Subscribing Member
569 Posts
Don't get me wrong, but both systems have contributed to a lack of investigative skill development. Cops now just sit and punch keyboards to make arrests. It has made us all LAAAAZY! Instant information is nice, but I have a problem with "I can't take that car, the laptop is down".

As far as the bad guy being two towns away before you get the info, I have a novel idea...stop him and run him through the dispatcher!!! Use technology to supplement your skills, not replace them. Don't become a slave to the gadgets!

·
Subscribing Member
569 Posts
I'll buy that, but it is another by-product of over reliance on computers in the field. Some dispatchers get used to not having to run everything and their skills diminish as well.

To be perfectly clear: I am PRO-computer. I am just worried about those who become "crippled" when its not available.

·
Subscribing Member
4,342 Posts
chief801 said:
I'll buy that, but it is another by-product of over reliance on computers in the field. Some dispatchers get used to not having to run everything and their skills diminish as well.

To be perfectly clear: I am PRO-computer. I am just worried about those who become "crippled" when its not available.
Sounds like somebody cried on your shoulder today Chief about Car 3. :mrgreen:

·
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
chief801 said:
Don't get me wrong, but both systems have contributed to a lack of investigative skill development. Cops now just sit and punch keyboards to make arrests. It has made us all LAAAAZY! Instant information is nice, but I have a problem with "I can't take that car, the laptop is down".

As far as the bad guy being two towns away before you get the info, I have a novel idea...stop him and run him through the dispatcher!!! Use technology to supplement your skills, not replace them. Don't become a slave to the gadgets!
chief801 said:

Chief,

Excellant points. The technology is good and bad. Good because the info is right there, bad because now it is expected to be there and throws some into a panic when it is not. Not on jump on the dispatchers, but as soon as the computers were in the cars, the attitude changed to a big sigh followed by "run it out yourself now". Oh how soon we forget it seems. After explaining to one that if I stop car filled with individuals, my sights are on them, not the freakin enter button, F10 key, etc...

I am pro-computer and technology, as it provides us another useful tool. It is just frustrating that the software package is incomplete. It seems we have taken two steps forward and then three back.

·
Registered
9 Posts
we Used to run Cerulean but now we use a system new to the area its called InfoCop. It came from the New Jersey area. It took a little while to get then restructured for mass but so far seems pretty good.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts