Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how do you get a job with the MDC Rangers. was out in the west this pass weekend and saw them. working with the state police and EPO. they had all the Toys. ATV's, JD Gators. A trooper was riding in a gator with a Ranger. I hear that MSP & Epo and the MDC have a great working relationship.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,658 Posts
I've seen the Ranger jobs listed on the HRD CEO job listing from time to time. AFAIK there is no academy or firearms involved, and of course you'll not be buying a Mercedes with your pay.

·
Registered
39 Posts
And in regards to getting a job, if you're not connected, to get a FT job you have to start out as a seasonal ranger for a period of time before being considered for a FT slot.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've seen the Rangers doing details this past week on the Mattapan, Milton line w/ the SP. Driving around in what looked like an old bronco and wearing the "smokey" hats!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for some input. I hear now that to be a MDC Watershed Ranger you need to know your stuff. Environmental Science & Policy and conservation issues. I was told they enforce CMR's 350. have to check this out better. Thanks guy

·
Registered
215 Posts
IS'T MDC RANGER A NICE WORD FOR POLITICAL HACK WHO DOES NOTHING AND HAS LITTLE TRANIING?? YA, AND THE DETAIL THING BOTHERS ME REAL BAD, LEAVE THOSE TO US, LOCALS OR STATIES, LET THE HACKS PROTECT THE CAPITAL!!!

·
Registered
665 Posts
You people and the MDC. They have all the right in the world to do detail. Why would a local be better than a Ranger. It's if a Mdc road or not. You locals should stay off the State roads. let the MSP, EPO's, MDC do their job. To Scout, get all the training you can get and plus some. It's a growing force. some where around 130 Rangers state wide from Springfield to Boston. Northshore to southshore and maybe Camp Edwards soon on the cape

·
Subscribing Member
1,281 Posts
Hey Randbo-
political hack or not, I dont sh*t on other peoples full time jobs. L/E work is just as honorable as the guy that fixes my car...No matter if you are Ranger, Muni, Campus, Statie,cape summer...or even PRIVATE SECURITY :eek:
So many people get jobs because of connections its not even worth talking about, hell, its probably going to get me a f/t job down the road.
Careful who you talk down to....when the shit hits the fan you never know who will be the first one there to save your ass.

·
Subscribing Member
292 Posts
Well said..Mikey...It seems to me that the people who keep shitting on other peoples jobs have insecurity issues of thier own.
(Not to point any fingers..)

·
Registered
665 Posts
Mikey682 right on brother. Back in the 70's I had a wise guy young officer give me a hard time with my kids in the car. well two months passed by and this dept needed outside help who do you think came to the aid. He didn't know who I was. Not like some local's flashing a badge. I know a few MDC brothers and i would be there for them. and them for me.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Scout Mdc Ranger Force is very hard to get hired. the Marine unit is the hardest of all most are former Coast Guard or Navy. The Reservation Rangers are mostly Firemen or police. The watershed Rangers are Environmental & Conservation people. The state house is who you know .Try to get training. The mdc has Rangers and the DEM have Park Rangers. If you want to be a Park Ranger Go to the Dept of Environmental managment. If you what to be a P/S Ranger try for the MDC.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Randbo, So you worked a summer down on the cape and you are a special somewhere in central Mass. MY!! What an extensive LE career you have had. It seems to me that you have never been rolling around on the ground in a slug fest with a dirt bag. You take help where EVER it comes from. I don't care if it is a girl scout, you take the help. So don't go around telling someone else that they are a hack, they might be the one who saves your ass next time.

·
Registered
215 Posts
hmmmmm, I don't work in any town with the MDC so I don't hink they will be backing me up! MDC rangers should never do details! They are not police officers, again political hacks!!

G

·
OK heres my
I used to work for the MDC Rangers somtime ago (seasonal). I have to admit ( but not proud to) I most definitley got my seasonal position due to a certain someone making a phone call. I did try to get a fulltime position and was confronted by a Lt. John Strasulio at the time ( now the chief ). That I should have a few certain politicians makes some calls on my behalf. Well obviuosly my connection was'nt strong enough for a full time position but ok for a seasonal position. So I gave it a shot and it did'nt work But trust me the political hacks statements have alot of validity, trust me I know.

I also did keep up the fight and got interviews for the watershed division which function is completely different than that of the other divisions. You really have to hone your woodland skills for that job in addition to knowing someone that can MAKE THE CALL sort of speak.

As for the marine unit if your not playing hockey with David Balfour and his buddies, just give it up, because it 's not happening.

The MDC it so tainted by the political hack ora than any other agency in this state.

Sorry if this piss's anyone on this forum off but trust me its true.

Oh ya one more thing yes I knew someone so I was a political hack ( not proud of it) but I was. I personally dont agree with the way they hire people but hey were on the subject and I just want ed to put in my

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
I always get a kick out of the people on this board calling other people "hacks". I would love to see these same people in a situation where a connected friend of their family offers to make a call for them, for a really great job. Would they in this situation be "noble" and turn the political favor down? Let's be honest, law enforcement in Massachusetts is extremley political. Most of us sometime in our career will need or receive some sort of favor. The "holier than thou" attitude of those slinging the word "hack" just doesn't make sense.

Note: I tried to post this earlier, but my computer crapped out. So if it shows up twice, my apoligies.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.