Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

· Banned
Joined
·
340 Posts
smd6169 said:
Let's put aside who is and who is not considered a vet. That's not my issue. My issue is the TOTAL PREFERANTIAL treatment a veteran receives. Now assuming that the Civil Service does truly and accurately test for those skills that a police officer should poses, to put a vet scoring a 70 above a none vet scoring a 100 is asinine. This person with a 70 obviously does not poses the skills that the state has deemed crucial for a police officer while the person scoring 100 does, yet he may not be called...
Are you shitting me? Do you truly believe that the rediculous test known as the civil service exam, is a true indication of ones intelligence, or ability to be an effective police officer?

I don't care if a vet scored a 50 and a nonvet scored a 1000. The vet should still get preference. There wouldn't be any civil service jobs if it were not for the sacrifices of vets. It is because of the vet that you're not required to utter the words 'God save the queen, or have German as your primary language!".

You can't choose your race, or your gender, but you CAN certainly CHOOSE to become a vet. Recruiting is at an all-time low. Do something for yourself and your country, become a vet!...(disclaimer) This post was paid for by the United States Army.
 

· Subscribing Member
Joined
·
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
ProudAmerican said:
Are you shitting me? Do you truly believe that the rediculous test known as the civil service exam, is a true indication of ones intelligence, or ability to be an effective police officer?

I don't care if a vet scored a 50 and a nonvet scored a 1000. The vet should still get preference. There wouldn't be any civil service jobs if it were not for the sacrifices of vets. It is because of the vet that you're not required to utter the words 'God save the queen, or have German as your primary language!".

You can't choose your race, or your gender, but you CAN certainly CHOOSE to become a vet. Recruiting is at an all-time low. Do something for yourself and your country, become a vet!...(disclaimer) This post was paid for by the United States Army.
As an FYI, I was in the Army for 8 years and no I do not believe that the test is a valid measurement of ones intelligence or ability to be an effective police officer. But since this test is such a joke, if you can't score above a 70 (passing) you are too dumb ro be a civilian let alone a cop. I do believe that no one group of people should get TOTAL preferential treatment over another - it's discrimination. MA Civil Service is an absolute joke. No other state selects it's officers like MA does and no other state puts one group of people above another. At most they give vets 2 -5 extra points which is huge in a competitive exam like this. That's more then fair compensation.
 

· Retired Fed, Active Special
Joined
·
8,898 Posts
Macop said:
smd6169, I agree with ya, the system is bullshit, but we have to deal with it.
Aaron,

Stop spreading your civilian slime around here fool!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
SMD, dont be jealous, you had your oppurtunity and you blew it. Like Proud American said, you cant choose race or gender, but you can choose to become a vet. If you want to get on a department that much, either go active, get your paramedic lisence, or start learning a second language. Thats how the game is played here in Massachusetts, if you dont like it write your local congressman.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Well put....

Sucks that you have to do one of those three things, but it's well worth it if you want to get on a department in Mass that bad... (I'm glad I went active, and not just for that reason)

What a great line, I miss hearing it:
Thats how the game is played here in Massachusetts, if you dont like it write your local congressman. =D
 

· Subscribing Member
Joined
·
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
You know what it comes down to is that the Civil Service system is a bust. It handcuffs hiring departments and sets us all, no matter what preferential status you may or may not have, for disappointment. Scores are coming out soon, do they make a real difference? Good luck all. May the best candidate get the job(s).
 

· Subscribing Member
Joined
·
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Hold on, I have a second language (fluent) that I listed on the exam. Is there another way to pursue getting on with the 2nd language? What kind of preferential treatment do paramedics get?
 

· Banned
Joined
·
340 Posts
smd6169 said:
Hold on, I have a second language (fluent) that I listed on the exam. Is there another way to pursue getting on with the 2nd language? What kind of preferential treatment do paramedics get?
Is the second language Spanish, Haitian/Cape Verdean Creole, Portuguese, Arabic, or Farsi? If not, you may still face an uphill battle. However being a paramedic can go a long way. Good luck and stay safe.
 

· Subscribing Member
Joined
·
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
ProudAmerican said:
Is the second language Spanish, Haitian/Cape Verdean Creole, Portuguese, Arabic, or Farsi? If not, you may still face an uphill battle. However being a paramedic can go a long way. Good luck and stay safe.
My 2nd language is Hebrew...Does EMT, as opposed to PERAMEDIC help?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
MBTA is all about who you know. In my town, there are a brother and sister that both got on the MBTA 1 Academy apart. The brother was a Marine who got Dvet status for get this- allergies. He lasted a whole 7 months in the corp. The sister worked as a host at a local restaurant. Nice huh.
 

· Banned
Joined
·
340 Posts
Dogma20001 said:
MBTA is all about who you know. In my town, there are a brother and sister that both got on the MBTA 1 Academy apart. The brother was a Marine who got Dvet status for get this- allergies. He lasted a whole 7 months in the corp. The sister worked as a host at a local restaurant. Nice huh.
I don't buy that bullshit story for a second. Dvet status from allergies? Yeah riiiiiight. First off, in order to get Dvet status your injury had to occur as a result of military activities. At least this is how I understand it. I'm just a vet, maybe one of the many Dvets on this board will elucidate. What was he allergic to? Drill, PT, perhaps CLP during weapons maintenance?
 

· Banned
Joined
·
340 Posts
By the way Dogma, have you received a conditional letter of employment from DOC? I received one but it warned me not to give my 2 weeks notice to my current employer. The academy starts on 09/06/05. That's cutting it kinda close.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Yeah, got it. Human Resources actually called to tell me. Kind of weird. Starts on the 6th. As for the MBTA, I'm serious. This kid hated being in the Corp and did everything he could to get out and allergies gave him his ticket. Imagine that though, 2 from the same family. The girl is 22, he's 24. All who you know.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,214 Posts
ProudAmerican said:
I don't buy that bullshit story for a second. Dvet status from allergies? Yeah riiiiiight. First off, in order to get Dvet status your injury had to occur as a result of military activities. At least this is how I understand it. I'm just a vet, maybe one of the many Dvets on this board will elucidate. What was he allergic to? Drill, PT, perhaps CLP during weapons maintenance?
Probably allergic to stress. Whats he going to do call-out during spring? Pllllheeeeaaasseee.
 

· Banned
Joined
·
340 Posts
Dogma20001 said:
Yeah, got it. Human Resources actually called to tell me. Kind of weird. Starts on the 6th. As for the MBTA, I'm serious. This kid hated being in the Corp and did everything he could to get out and allergies gave him his ticket. Imagine that though, 2 from the same family. The girl is 22, he's 24. All who you know.
They called you? That is bizzare.As for the guy getting out due to allergies I'll believe it, but I can guarantee that he has neither vet or Dvet status. If he's telling you he does, then feel free to call bullshit.
 

· Subscribing Member
Joined
·
2,186 Posts
smd6169, very good point.

Oh Scotty you been talking to Yimmy havent you. Its not a definate yet, but I tell ya, the pay with the cost of living is a very nice comparison. I don't think there are a lot of places in this country you can buy a brand new house or one built in the last 5 yrs 3/4 beds 3/4 baths with a 2 car garage on a half to a full acre for under $150,000 and have a starting pay in the low 40's.

So when are the three of us gonna meet in shoe city for that cold one..... or two
 

· Subscribing Member
Joined
·
458 Posts
smd6169 said:
My 2nd language is Hebrew...Does EMT, as opposed to PERAMEDIC help?
I'm an EMT and it hasn't helped me yet...although there are a couple of pd's that look for EMT's or Medics...Mancherster by the Sea is one not sure about any others... Couple of exams back they were given us 1 point but they stopped doing it.... Going out of state keeps looking better and better..
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,214 Posts
Try applying for the Manchester Police Department here in New Hampshire. Work in a city of roughly 110,000 residents; we have a minor league baseball team, pro-hockey team, pro-soccer team... Friday and Saturday nights are usually busy, hard to keep from getting bored. Although, last I was told, you'll have to relocate to NH. $39-55k a year. (Disclaimer: I don't work for Manchester PD, just live here.)

http://www.masscops.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5526
 
21 - 40 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top