Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any T cops out there that know the MGL that grants them police powers and their jurisdictional authority??? Just curious, I know it's a huge jurisdiction and full police powers but what is the statute?

·
Registered
37 Posts
If my memory serves me correct, this was questioned a number of years ago after a shooting involving an MBTA officer. The officer made a traffic stop in Boston and ultimately shot the perp/operator. It was noted by the press that MBTA officers had jurisdiction in 150+(?) towns or where the T owned property, and were second to MSP as far as authority in the state. Again, I'm going by memory and by accounts of the press, who tend to embellish their reports(if you can believe that).

·
Subscribing Member
4,316 Posts
One guy at my wife's work was stopped by an unmarked MBTA cruiser the other day on 495 in Milford for speeding. He was cited and issued a citation after identifying himself as an MBTA officer. I am not questioning his legal jurisdiction but I am concerned that an MBTA officer pulls over a guy on 495 in Milford for doing 80 in a 65 zone. I think they should focus to the railroad and the parking lots that their commuter rail goes through.

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
H50 said:
that an MBTA officer pulls over a guy on 495 in Milford for doing 80 in a 65 zone.
80, isn't that the flow of traffic speed for 495?

·
Registered
561 Posts
H50 said:
...I am concerned that an MBTA officer pulls over a guy on 495 in Milford for doing 80 in a 65 zone. I think they should focus to the railroad and the parking lots that their commuter rail goes through.
Agreed. Not to beat a dead horse, but this slides perfectly into the never-ending discussions about the *LEC teams. I feel that departments should focus on improving the quality of service in their primary jurisdiction (hire more officers), and worry about secondary functions (assisting with incidents in towns 45 minutes away) when you have solved all the crime in your neck of the woods.

Every department wants/needs more funding; if they spent what they had a little wiser, some departments would be much better off.

-Mike :2c:

·
Registered
181 Posts
H50 said "I think they should focus to the railroad and the parking lots that their commuter rail goes through." As a former T cop, I wholeheartedly agree, but this officer can't close his eyes when he's off of T property. I imagine he was on his way to check the lots and stations of the Franklin line and for whatever reason this guy caught his attention.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Cut n pasted fro MBTAPolice.com:

Do MBTA police officers have the same police authority as city and town police officers?
Yes. MBTA police officers are fully sworn police officers that have the same powers of arrest as city and town police officers while in the 175 cities and towns that make up the MBTA***. In addition, MBTA police officers attend the MBTA Police Academy which also is host to police recruits from other cities and towns.
***Helps to justify the annual assessment that the towns pay as a deduction each year off their "cherry sheet" in payment to the T ***

In addition to taking enforcement action on MBTA property, can MBTA officers take enforcement action off of MBTA property?
Yes. MBTA police officers may take enforcement action outside the 175 cities and towns while remaining on MBTA property.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,658 Posts
davemcs said:
Cut n pasted fro MBTAPolice.com:

Yes. MBTA police officers may take enforcement action outside the 175 cities and towns while remaining on MBTA property.
O.k. WTF!!!!!! :shock: ?
How does one take enforcement action "outside" their jurisdiction, while "remaining" on MBTA Property? Gotta love Public relations websites!
:?

Reactions: NegroRotary

·
Subscribing Member
530 Posts
As for me Im supportive of the MBTA police. There have been many times the T has backed me up on calls. If additional back up is requested by my department the MBTA is the first there then maybe the state a close second.

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
MPD,

I was thinking the same thing... maybe its a one of those mind out of body experiences.. :shock:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SRRERG....
When you were a T Cop did you have jurisdiction in all of those cities and towns or just on the property that was owned/leased/used by the MBTA???

·
Registered
181 Posts
When I first joined it was 71 cities and towns and rail powers anyplace else. Around 2000 they expanded the number of towns that pay the assessment and the jurisdiction increased to 170+ towns - just about anywhere that has T property. BTW, T property is not necessarily anywhere near rail or bus lines.

·
Subscribing Member
1,281 Posts
The same guys who are always questioning different agencies jurisdiction must have small penis envy or something, go play outside you nerds.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mikey682:
What the hell are you talking about? If you are referring to the question posed in this thread, I am by no means quesitoning the MBTA Police's authority, I was curious about the origins of it's authority.

·
Subscribing Member
1,151 Posts
Mikey682

Which nerds are you talking about? I could be wrong but I don’t believe anyone on this thread questioned the authority of the MBTA Police.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts