1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By DON CUDDY
Standard-Times staff writer
October 03, 2008 6:00 AM

MATTAPOISETT - The thin blue line got a little thicker in town this week as the Police Department welcomed to the force four new recruits - three men and a woman.
"They learned all the skills they will need at a very physical, very challenging 22-week academy," Chief Mary Lyons said. "They all have a very positive attitude and we're pleased to have them onboard.
Robert Randall, 26, of Mattapoisett, who has been a part-time reserve officer in town for the past two years, began with the 18-member depatment full-time this week, along with three recruits who are from New Bedford.
"I've wanted to be a police officer for a long time. I'm on cloud nine," he said.
Officer Randall's father, Robert Randall Sr., is a nephew of Selectman George Randall.
Officer Steven Alers, 25, is a New York City native who came to New Bedford three years ago. "I was born and raised in the Bronx," he said. "I'm just excited to be here and to start work as a police officer." He is fluent in Spanish.
Officer Lenira Lima, 22, who grew up in Cape Verde, speaks Portuguese, crioulu and Spanish and has an associate's degree in criminal justice.
"My father's brother was a police chief on Sao Vicente," she said. "He inspired me to think about becoming an officer."
Officer Christopher Correia, 23, was born and raised in New Bedford and speaks Portuguese.
"Ever since I was a child, I wanted to be a policeman. I am looking forward to working with the people here."
The New Bedford recruits were laid off by the city in May while attending the state municipal police academy because of budget constraints. They were gladly picked up by the Mattapoisett force.
"We had openings," Chief Lyons said. "Two of our officers are transferring to Dartmouth in mid-October, so this will allow us a smooth transition with these officers."
The additional personnel will not result in any budget increases, the chief said. "In fact, this will lessen the burden because we had to fill shifts on overtime. We have three officers on each shift, two patrol and one supervisor, in addition to a desk guy."

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081003/NEWS/810030348

1 - 1 of 1 Posts