Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Master's Degree In Criminal Justice

4K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  Mortal knight 
#1 ·
Has anyone here ever received their Master's or Bachelor's degree via distance learning or online? I am looking to obtain my master's, but like most people cannot because of money, time, and family. I want to look into a distance learning program. One college I was looking into is Ashworth college advertised in Policeemployment.com. It is inexpensive, you can take your time, and it is accredited. I was looking into UMasses and BU's online degree programs, but they are too much money and the classes are scheduled. Anyone have any feedback on Ashworth or any other online colleges? Thanks

https://masters.ashworthcollege.edu/

#3 ·
If you want a degree just for the Quinn bill, im afraid you're not left with too many choices, but if you want a recognized degree regardless then there are many distance learning Colleges around. Some that come to mind are Trinity, Phoenix, and Regis University. Just make sure wherever you enroll is legit and can send out offical transcripts and not just a place that sells you a degree then dissapears.

#4 ·
I actually reiceved my Associates from them. I enjoyed the experience. The material was easy to understand. The only down side was the Semester Proctor exams. They have to mail it to a proctor( local library) and then you mail the exam back. Plus you don't "offically" graduate till the tuition is Paid In Full. So techinaclly I have not graduated yet, but complete the course with a 3.8 average. I won't graduate for another $2,900 :roll:

So in my opinion it was worth it. Good luck.

#5 ·
Redline said:
Just make sure wherever you enroll is legit and can send out offical transcripts and not just a place that sells you a degree then dissapears.
This was my concern when I started at Ashworth. Like I stated I have completed all 60 credits, and when I needed an "offical" transcript for employment, one was sent that week. It even had an offical seal :shock: They have been around for a while, I beieve 30 years. Yes its not Havard, but its not Joe's Basement college either. They actually have a campus in Norcross GA.

They are not Quinn acceptable, but it doesn't seem to many inistutions are these days.

#6 ·
Thank You Mortal Knight. I was afraid that since Ashworth was not Carnigie Classified and regionally accredited, that it was a diploma mill and would screw me over in the end and run away with my money when it came time for transcripts or anything else i need from them. But it looks like you say otherwise. That stinks that you have to pay off that balance first before you get your diploma, but most colleges do that anyways. Did they at least mail your trascripts out? When I went to Bridgewater State, I owed 10 for a parking ticket and they wouldnt let me graduate until i paid for it :shock:

thanks and any other feedback or problems on ashworth would be much appreciated.

#7 ·
Yes, I got my transcripts no problem. It does say under all the grades and related info, "not graduated" but the back explains what everything means.

I did alot of reasearch into them. Contacted the B.B.B. and other stuff. Like I said it is not well known like Havard or Merrimack College :twisted: , but you'll get a good education at a good price. When you are on the street I'm sure Joe Crack-head can't tell the differance in the way Officer Havard, Officer BU, or Officer Internet . We all apply the handcuffs with the same amount of force. 8)

#9 ·
I am just finishing up with my bachelor's degree with the University of Phoenix. I have looked into online master's programs. The only program which you will find that is completley online and accepted for the Quinn Bill is UMass Lowell. Norwich has applied for acceptance, and plans to be accepted by the state early next year.

#13 ·
Ok, just start going through the BI portion of the hiring process. Sat down with the
Captian and got a look of confussion when he saw my degree from Ashworth.
I did some more research on the whole accredation, quinn bill, and college thing and found out this. Alot of people are now recieveing AA,BA, Masters, and PHD via the internet. DETC the accredating group that oversees every one from Univerity of Phenoix to Ashworth is slowly becoming accepted by the mainstream public. Just like most people perfer Wal-mart over E-bay. I personnaly would like to get my toothpaste from Market Basket instead of Toothpaste.com. It doesn't mean The toothpaste is any better at "The Basket", just I am more comfortable getting it their because I ALWAYS HAVE.

I feel that taking unique appraoch to things makes one a better cop. The old saying is if you do what you always do, you will get what you always get.

Point being: On-line colleges can be a good thing. Its convient to those with "odd schedules" and alternating shifts. I found a discussion group disscusion group that has people who have gone through the On-line experience.

I will not be getting my bachelor through the same place I got my associates due to the ALMIGHTY QUINN, but would recommend the program to those who ,may be seeking employment out of state.

#14 ·
Mortal,

Although Phoenix is a member of DETC, you also need to look to see if your school is a member of an actual generally acceptable acrediting agency. If my memory serves me right, DETC is an association as far as most are concerened, and not an accrediting authority. Phoenix is fully accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, which is the national overseeing affiliate of the Regional Accrediting Authorities, such as NESAC and others. It is very confusing. Bear's produces a good guide to distance education. In that book you will find which schools are actually acredited and acceptable (in general) and which are not. Barnes and Noble carries the book, and I suggest picking it up, to anyone who is interested in online degrees or education.

#15 ·
Pearl

Is UMASS totally on-line? I really need a bachelor degree. I am looking into UOP, but since I'd like to eventully gain employment in Mass, it be silly not getting it from a Quinn school.

This is the link that I got some of my accredation info fromClick me!

Yes, its very confusing, my head is still spinning from all the information I veiwed :roll:
If you can make better since of all these agency, more power to you. Personally, Its like trying to figure out who is a LE in Mass and whos' not. OR who has jurisdiction over what in Boston :lol: Too many abbreveations, Too many agencies, and Too many Schools :roll: I'll probably will take a look at that book, thanks

#18 ·
personally i am not to keen on the University of phoenix.
When I called to inquire about taking classes the guy that I spoke with seemed a bit pushy, like he was selling me a new car.
Just recently I saw a job listing in the herald for "admissions advisor" at the school and the listed skills need were sales and marketing.
The whole thing just didn't seem right to me, but to each his own i say.
I actually have a friend taking classes online( business managment) now and she is doing great. She says the work is hard .
I just didn't like the fact that it cost to much for me and the other stuff mentioned above. Just my opinion.

#19 ·
As far as Phoenix goes, I, absolutley love it. I know what you are saying about the "pushyness", but if you can get by that, it's a really great school. I've learned far more since November when I started, than I did in my 4 years at Salem State. However, if you plan to seek employment in Massachusetts, Phoenix is not your best choice. I spoke to the Dean of the Criminal Justice Department as well as the Assistant Director of the MA Board of Higher Education regarding Phoenix. Phoenix itself has no plans to apply for Quinn Bill acceptance. This is due to a technicality. Phoenix's professors are not employees, but contractors, and therefore are not considered full time doctoral professors for the purposes of Quinn. For this reason Phoenix would be denied for Quinn Bill purposes if they applied.

My plan if I end up staying in Massachusetts (unlikley at this point), is upon completing Phoenix, to attend UMass Lowell for their Online Master's program. In speaking with that Assistant Director at the MA BOHE, this would be acceptable for Quinn Bill purposes, and I would be able to receive benefits at the masters level, despite my bachelor's degree was not Quinn Bill approved. I would just be out the money, during the 18 months, I am completing my masters with Lowell.

As far as Lowell goes, to the best of my knowlege, they are completley online. I have requsted a brochure from them but haven't received it yet. Another thing to consider, depending on when you are planning to go to school is Norwich. I received some literature from Norwich, which states that they are confident that their online masters program will be accepted for the Quinn Bill by Summer 05. Norwich requires you to attend a seminar at the Vermont campus for one week at the end of your masters studies.

I don't have it with me right now (lent it to a friend), but that Bear's Guide to Distance Education is really the way to go, if you are confused about what is accredited and what is not. The list all the schools as either legitimate, accepted, and accredited or as a diploma mill. It really breaks it down, so you don't waste your time and money.

If anyone is interested in attending Phoenix, drop me a PM, I'll give you the name and email address of the admissions people I dealt with. They were really good. For those of you that may have your master's or doctoral degrees, they are often looking for instructors as well. Could be a good side money job.

#20 ·
Well i am now a student of Ashworth's master program. I am happy with the reading materials and the customer service is excellent too. Mortal, regarding the proctored exams, where did you have these done? I was thinking of doing it at the plymouth library but i do not know how much of a hastle it is to do it. Was your library proctor reluctant to do yours? i am sure they have a busy schedule as it is and do not want to watch test takers. do u take the entire test on the computer?....plymouth library only has like 4 computers and there is a 20 minute time limit on each them. I was also thinking of doing them at my friends apartment. He is an director at MIT, so i guess he would considered a school staff member. his apartment has a high speed computer. Do you think this environment is acceptable, since it is not on school grounds? Thanks again for your help and advice.

#21 ·
I took my at the Haverhill Public Library, they were very helpful. Not familair with the Master program, but the assocaites they mailed the test to the library. Since it was all open book they just handed me the exam and went about their business. 3 hours later they would come to me and take the exam, ( that is if I didn't finish it sooner). Libraries do alot of proctor exams so they're use to the procedures.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.