Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the Massport Police do? I know that Logan Airport is patrolled by the MSP..so where do these folks patrol...and what types of duties do they have?

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
Re: Massport Police?

I went to the SSPO academy with 3 of em, they always bragged about how they took a job there to retire. It is an excellent dept they are very low key. They carry guns and have nice eqipment, I visited one of my classmate at the station, it was kind of hidden, I forget where it was at. I'm told it can be as busy or quiet as you wanna be. I know they patrol the Black Falcon terminal and a few other places, lots of details. Frankly i'm suprisesd it is being posted, its a very political job. out of the 3 guys I know 1 was an aid for Gov. Cellucci and was hooked up with that job when he left, one knew a state rep, and the 3rd transfered from the parking dept to the P.D I'm sure the parking job was political as well. Here is something you may find funny, one of em told me that while they are going to the SSPO academy, parking booth attendants were going to the MPOC and coming back to take tickets in a booth.

·
Registered
79 Posts

Massport PD is responsible for patrolling all thier properties like the fish piers, Black Falcon ship terminal, Massport bridges, etc. SP does have jurisdiction at the airport, but Massport PD does patroll parking lots and the Massport buildings located around the airport. It doesn't sound like much, but it is an excellent job if you can get it. It almost takes an appointment from the Governor's office to get that job.

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts

Money is good, but for some people money doesn't cover for boredom... I would hate being bored for 40 hours a week...

·
Subscribing Member
275 Posts

What kind of academy certification are they looking for? Do they send you off to 22 weeks of traning or do they require you to have that before being considered :?

·
Subscribing Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

What kind of academy certification are they looking for? Do they send you off to 22 weeks of traning or do they require you to have that before being considered :?
As far as training goes they generally will go to the SSPO academy from what I've been told, as far as requirements to get the job well knowing a big name politician would be a start..

·
Registered
20 Posts

Massport PD is a great job with good salaries and the ability to work lots of o.t. and details. You should be able to make 70k pretty easy. There is still a lot of work to be done to be considered a bona fide PD, But the potential is there. Training is also pretty good with the new active shooting program in place(paintball for cops). I encourage academy trained individuals to check it out(massport.com) under the job title of Port Officer.

·
Registered
689 Posts

I agree. Money's not everything. I make really good $$ working for the DoD Police at Westover ARB. However, the boredom, and lack of proper authority is a killer! But, We all stick it out here because for 50+K/yr. it gets the bills paid, kids fed, and Mom's happy. We all know that a happy Mom makes a happy house :)

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts

Massport PD is a great job with good salaries and the ability to work lots of o.t. and details. You should be able to make 70k pretty easy. There is still a lot of work to be done to be considered a bona fide PD, But the potential is there. Training is also pretty good with the new active shooting program in place(paintball for cops). I encourage academy trained individuals to check it out(massport.com) under the job title of Port Officer.
My understanding is that since MPAPD is a State Agency under SSPO Powers and is not a Recognized/bona fide LE Agency, that guys with Full-time academy would lose their FT Academy Cert. because they would not have been working for a "Police Department". So if you have FT academy and you go to MASSPORT and say like 6 years later you want to go back to a Municipal PD, you would have to go through the Academy again..... Because you (FT Cert.) cannot be out of LE for more than 5 years.

Is this correct? If so, that sucks.

·
Registered
148 Posts

This sounds like a good gig. I need to get on the root so I can get a job like this. :hump:

·
Registered
164 Posts

Negative to the FT cert expiring in that manner. You need is to carry police powers and attend in service. I had an LT leave for a municipal after a long time on the job, about 8 years after attending an MPOC, without any problems.

STAY SAFE

·
Registered
689 Posts

Yeah afirm. on the FT academy. I left a municipal dept in 1990 and took a DoD job. I went back to a municipal dept in 1995 and had no problems with the cert.

·
MassCops Member
134 Posts
Massport Police Hiring Process

I got a call back from Massport today for an interview. Has anyone else heard back from them? I don't know much about the Dept. Anyone with any info, it would be most appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Re: Massport Police Hiring Process

I don't think I was aware massport had their own police. each time i've gone there, i see staties. Do they have a website? Are thei civil service?

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts

I work with a guy who recently turned it (MASSPORT Police Job) down. Great pay! but it was too low key - and boring for him.

·
Czar of Cyncism and Satire
2,070 Posts

That cop is a fool. They make killer dough and lots of OT. While not the most glamorous job in LE, it's all about the sheckles at this point in my "career". Can I be his substitute for that position? :shock: Poor decision on his part I think.

·
Subscribing Member
4,316 Posts

HC is right, the MASSPORT job rocks. I know two cops next town over that applied but haven't heard anything.

·
Registered
160 Posts

I work with a guy who recently turned it (MASSPORT Police Job) down. Great pay! but it was too low key - and boring for him.
You must be shittin' us right?? Is this guy from MGH or your other job?

·
Subscribing Member
275 Posts

I applied there back when they were hiring in August. From what I hear, It's a great job to have and you get nice pay, equipment, and lots of details according from what one officer told me. There's not much action but it's still a wonderful job to have, it's just competitive to get. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.