Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Bosoxmanny, I understand your point of view, but this is a forum where a number of police officers can communicate & socialize. Without this forum, many of us wouldn't be able to communicate with other LEOs outside of our own departments. Some matters are more serious than others, but don't you have some light-hearted conversations with your colleagues on your department?

Also, many of us take pride in our cruisers, just as we take pride in the uniforms that we wear. To put us down for that is the same as putting down for the style of our uniform or the department that we work for. The cruiser is part of the image that we project to the public. It goes along with ironing our uniforms and polishing our boots. The Newton police are proud of their cars and the unique paint & graphics & rightly so. To force that change on them is most likely disheartening. It may also affect morale, which is a serious & important issue for any PD.

As you know, becoming a police officer in Mass is a competitive process. Many of us had to take the exam several times before we got hired. We are proud of being police officers. To call us 'sparks' & imply that we don't take our jobs seriously enough because we choose to participate in a thread regarding our preference of color for cruisers isn't just wrong, it's insulting.

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
How can we be "sparks" and not take our job seriously "enough"?? My understanding is that sparkys take their job TOO seriously... that statement contradicts itself.

And like Jeep said, we take pride in our uniforms and cruisers... also known as "professional appearance". We share ideas and gather input about new cruiser designs, suggestions on what gear to carry, websites, etc.. If you don't care about how your cruiser looks or how you are dressed then some people may think you don't care about your job. In this field perception is everything.

Now that brings me to talk about Boston... Just kidding Mark :lol: :lol: .

·
Out of the Loop
2,512 Posts
bosoxmanny @ 30 Sep 2004 16:14 said:
Is it a bonus to have sharp uniforms and sharp cars to drive around in absolutley but bottom line is we all work for the government and people above us make those decisions on what we drive and what we wear, so its out of our hands!
These people take pride in their work and are just "into" every aspect of it.

If a chef goes to wine tastings and talks about it with his/her colleagues, it's because it's something that's a part of their life and they enjoy.

How about construction workers that grunt over power tools? Or school teachers that belong to book clubs?

It's all tools of the trade. If these guys are into this stuff, then let them have it! There are plenty of other forums and topics for you to enjoy here if cruiser styles aren't your forte'. I myself don't read every single topic, I just see what's new and go straight to the ones that interest me.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Perhaps not so much 'burnout' as 'rustout'... :shock: Something many of us experience.

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
I would be an Officer "M".. in the middle of the pack... I don't hesitate to lock 'em up or bust the bad guy... but I'm not all gung-ho and looking to make people miserable either..

·
Registered
193 Posts
I think eveyone here has a right to be proud about being a cop, their uniforms, cruiser colors and everything else. Let's face it not an easy road to become a cop. Doing the right thing your whole life, sometimes working years at security jobs to get experience, passing extensive training, living at the academy for months away from family and friends while taking blasts of pepper spray :lol: and then after everything finally being a Police Officer! :D So damn right there's a lot of pride!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts