Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Massachusetts' Red Flag Gun Law: Saving lives or threatening civil rights?

4K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  HistoryHound 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I am sooooo pro 2nd amendment, and Libertarian. having said that, I am OK with this new law, HOWEVER, I would have liked to have seen an automatic 30 to 120 day AUTOMATIC review process for the tangible portion of people who deserve the restoration of their right to keep and bear.

#5 ·
The article did not cite one case of the red flag gun law. Anyone correct me if I am wrong, the red flag law is for civilians to petition to take someone's gun license away. Although police could use the law, it is a more burdensome process than just using their power as the licensing authority.

#12 ·
The way I see this being used, and for that matter any other firearm law in the Commonwealth is a slow, calculated and methodical way to chip away at the rights of its citizens. We once could buy firearm at a hardware store or mail order now its almost impossible to purchase a semi automatic rifle. Allowing this idea the time to fester without any type of resistance we will see more and more insane, ridiculous and borderline vexatious laws suffocating our rights until the day of an all out ban of firearms in Massachusetts. Stop it here, stop it now! we should not have to fight over or debate the existence a God given right.

#13 ·
Once you retire depending on where you live ( Boston ) the conversation might go something like this,

Here to renew my permit,
why do you need this ?
Because i'm LE.

Your not LE, your retired. I'm not renewing this.

Actual conversation. Later rectified.
Our friend was a " only LE should carry guns "
He quickly became a convert and a rabid defender of the Second Amendment :cool:

#16 ·
Once again, the laws and mechanisms already exist to review and restrict access to guns but they aren't used. We don't need new laws, and the way these red flag laws are written leave them wide open to potential abuse with little recourse.
I constantly hear smart, reasonable, and pro 2A people agree with or support even "reasonable" sounding anti gun proposals because....guns. I've never heard one person on either side of the spectrum propose we should restrict the ability of crazy, abusive, or dangerous people to....REPRODUCE. We let the dumb, drug addled, and insane pump out as many children as they physically can whether they can care for or afford them or not...but we have a lengthy review and licensing process to own a firearm.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.