Massachusetts' Red Flag Gun Law: Saving lives or threatening civil rights? | MassCops

Massachusetts' Red Flag Gun Law: Saving lives or threatening civil rights?

Discussion in 'Firepower!!!' started by kwflatbed, Feb 19, 2019.

1. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

2. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

I am sooooo pro 2nd amendment, and Libertarian. having said that, I am OK with this new law, HOWEVER, I would have liked to have seen an automatic 30 to 120 day AUTOMATIC review process for the tangible portion of people who deserve the restoration of their right to keep and bear.

3. Sooty

Sooty Administrator

I've seen so many spiteful, fabricated, BS claims made against completely innocent people... I just don't trust knee jerk reaction rulings.
    Period.

Joel98, Tuna, Hush and 5 others like this.
  4. RodneyFarva

RodneyFarva Get off my lawn!

Dangerous territory.

Joel98, pahapoika and Sooty like this.
  5. Edmizer1

Edmizer1 MassCops Member

The article did not cite one case of the red flag gun law. Anyone correct me if I am wrong, the red flag law is for civilians to petition to take someone's gun license away. Although police could use the law, it is a more burdensome process than just using their power as the licensing authority.

6. Sooty

Sooty Administrator

Because spiteful exes NEVER lie to harass..

Joel98, Hush, CCCSD and 1 other person like this.
  7. JimBrown

JimBrown MassCops Member

I would guess the majority of red flag cases will not be used to harass people. The ones that are, hopefully will get resolved rather quickly. But we need a process to point out these unstable individuals that slipped through the cracks and somehow got a ltc. I've always thought there should be a psych exam as part of the licensing process. You need to take a psych exam to become a cop, you should have to if you want to carry a firearm. Way too many lunatics out there.

mpd61 likes this.
  8. Sooty

Sooty Administrator

Ask any guy wrongfully accused of rape... THAT ain' happenin'!

Further - WHO pays the victim for legal fees, gun storage, loss, endangerment, etc etc etc ? They have a right to be made whole.

Joel98, Tuna, CCCSD and 1 other person like this.
  9. JimBrown

JimBrown MassCops Member

Although by that logic, claims of rape shouldn't be investigated because the suspect MIGHT be just a victim of harassment.
    This is an example of a "see something, say something " campaign that will save lives. But some people are always going to think the 2nd amendment is a trump card for any kind of regulation. After all, doesnt the 2nd call for a 'well regulated militia'?

10. Sooty

Sooty Administrator

CLEARLY you either missed or plainly ignored my point. You sure as Hell conflated it!

Joel98 and CCCSD like this.
  11. JimBrown

JimBrown MassCops Member

I do agree with you that this law could be abused

Sooty likes this.
  12. RodneyFarva

RodneyFarva Get off my lawn!

The way I see this being used, and for that matter any other firearm law in the Commonwealth is a slow, calculated and methodical way to chip away at the rights of its citizens. We once could buy firearm at a hardware store or mail order now its almost impossible to purchase a semi automatic rifle. Allowing this idea the time to fester without any type of resistance we will see more and more insane, ridiculous and borderline vexatious laws suffocating our rights until the day of an all out ban of firearms in Massachusetts. Stop it here, stop it now! we should not have to fight over or debate the existence a God given right.

Joel98, Tuna, CCCSD and 4 others like this.
  13. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

Once you retire depending on where you live ( Boston ) the conversation might go something like this,

Here to renew my permit,
    why do you need this ?
    Because i'm LE.

Your not LE, your retired. I'm not renewing this.

Actual conversation. Later rectified.
    Our friend was a " only LE should carry guns "
    He quickly became a convert and a rabid defender of the Second Amendment :cool:

Joel98 and Hush like this.
  14. JimBrown

JimBrown MassCops Member

The more I work in this field, the happier I am the idiots I interact with on a daily basis can't mail order firearms.

15. CCCSD

CCCSD MassCops Member

That’s NOT his point. You clearly are unable to comprehend the written word. This is a fault in almost every post you make.

Joel98, RodneyFarva and Sooty like this.
  16. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

Once again, the laws and mechanisms already exist to review and restrict access to guns but they aren't used. We don't need new laws, and the way these red flag laws are written leave them wide open to potential abuse with little recourse.
    I constantly hear smart, reasonable, and pro 2A people agree with or support even "reasonable" sounding anti gun proposals because....guns. I've never heard one person on either side of the spectrum propose we should restrict the ability of crazy, abusive, or dangerous people to....REPRODUCE. We let the dumb, drug addled, and insane pump out as many children as they physically can whether they can care for or afford them or not...but we have a lengthy review and licensing process to own a firearm.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Tuna, pahapoika, Goose and 3 others like this.
  17. JimBrown

JimBrown MassCops Member

Couldn't care less. Never had a problem legally obtaining a firearm.

18. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

Until a stranger makes an unfounded allegation about you...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Joel98, Sooty, pahapoika and 4 others like this.
  19. 02136colonel

02136colonel Supporting Member

I’m very pro-2a, but I think the red flag law is largely duplicative of existing licensing regulations. If someone is dangerous enough that a Judge would invoke this law, the Chief would almost certainly suspend their LTC.

Joel98, Sooty, pahapoika and 2 others like this.
  20. CCCSD

CCCSD MassCops Member

So WHY are you even on this forum?

Joel98, RodneyFarva and Goose like this.
  21. JimBrown

JimBrown MassCops Member

Didn't realize it was a one sided circle jerk. My apologies

22. JimBrown

JimBrown MassCops Member

Actually I'd like to change my answer. It's for the fuck SSPO, hats, and chapter 90 jokes.

Hush likes this.
  23. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

FUCK SSPO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sooty, RodneyFarva, JimBrown and 3 others like this.
  24. Joel98

Joel98 MassCops Member

Good question.

His former screen name is Roger Goodwin, and he kept pissing people off in here for being a legalize marijuana activist. He finally got called out so many times he had to change his screen name.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    Sooty, Goose, Hush and 1 other person like this.
  25. Joel98

Joel98 MassCops Member

Ohhhh so you're one of those liberals.....got it, that explains a lot.

CCCSD likes this.