Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Massachusetts Bay Community College is currently hiring. I am writing this post for anyone that is interested, and has any questions regarding the campus, or the job. I was formerly employed by the worst campus in the state, (MassArt) and would like to share my sentiments as to the many positives that MassBay has. I.E. Decent pay, education incentives, laid back atmosphere, hardly any micromanaging, weekends off, great supervisors. Overall it is a great department that is up and coming. There isn't a load of police work, but it shows up from time to time. If any one has any questions, please post them, or PM me.

"MassArt :up_yours: " "MassBay :D "

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,658 Posts
Alriiiiiighty then......................

I agree your doing better than MassFart, but MassBay has a Looooooooonnnnnng way to go to make it as good as you're touting it to be. Your administration would never miss you if you all left town.
:lol:

·
Subscribing Member
288 Posts
I hardly think disturbed cop was touting MassBay as an excellent place to be. Like any campus job, it has its ups and downs. He was simply stating that if anyone had questions they could certainly ask him. MPD61, Youre just upset because we didnt give you an interview last time! :lol: :lol:

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
I doubt anyone would go from a dept like Massasoit to Massbay. No offense but when my buddie worked at Massasoit he was making more arrests and writting more VS than I was working in a town.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I doubt anyone would go from a dept like Massasoit to Massbay. No offense but when my buddie worked at Massasoit he was making more arrests and writting more VS than I was working in a town.
Maybe, but who was making more money at the end of the year? That is one of the most important parts of this job. Money equals a better life for you and your loved ones. Shiny badges and flashing strobes are cute, but I'll take extra $$ of weekly pay over cool BS anytime.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Hey MarkBoston. Thanks. Good point. I've been posting on a forum on Police Magazine.com about Dept of Defense cops and our jurisdictional issues, etc. etc. I was also kinda feeling low because I was no longer a "real" cop. But your short entry slapped me back to reality. I did 21 years as a town cop. Working 2-3 jobs just to make ends meet. Never mind details and OT. I now work as a federal cop, with some authority issues, but I make 50k a year w/o OT! I guess I should be happy. Plus, I have my retirement from the county system. Thanks again for slapping me back to reality! :D

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,658 Posts
sarge439 @ 21 Sep 2004 01:18 said:
Hey MarkBoston. Thanks. Good point. I've been posting on a forum on Police Magazine.com about Dept of Defense cops and our jurisdictional issues, etc. etc. I was also kinda feeling low because I was no longer a "real" cop. But your short entry slapped me back to reality. I did 21 years as a town cop. Working 2-3 jobs just to make ends meet. Never mind details and OT. I now work as a federal cop, with some authority issues, but I make 50k a year w/o OT! I guess I should be happy. Plus, I have my retirement from the county system. Thanks again for slapping me back to reality! :D
Sarge!

You have discovered one of the best kept secrets in L.E. Career counseling. Listen up.........

All you municipal/state cops & C.O./Deputies who retire with a state pension can run to the DOD, VA and make good money w/o screwing up your state pensions. Kinda like a second lease on life.
:wink:

·
Registered
66 Posts
sarge439 @ 21 Sep 2004 01:18 said:
All you municipal/state cops & C.O./Deputies who retire with a state pension can run to the DOD, VA and make good money w/o screwing up your state pensions. Kinda like a second lease on life.
:wink:
Good call out.

You can also look for jobs in the private sector - I have some retired law enforcement officers on my team - and some are my peers - pay can be anywhere from $40k - $90k w/ bonus depending on what you're doing.. and that's here locally - if you can move up to Director/VP level positions the financial rewards are much more significant...

Bryan

·
Registered
267 Posts
Is it true that Mass Bay doesn't have a 3rd shift and they use private security to patrol the campus at night??

·
Subscribing Member
288 Posts
MassBay does not currently have a third shift, due to the fact that is community college, and there isnt anybody there. In the near future (1-2 yrs) we hope to bring on additional personnel to accomplish that goal.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Thanks mpd61. It is the best kept secret in LE. Hey by the way, where did you get the Sipowitz avatar? Do you mind if I use it too. He's my hero. Good old fashioned grisly old cop :) I saw the first 1/2 hour of the season premier tonight then had to leave for the dogwatch. Sucked missing the last 1/2. Oh well.

Posted Wed Sep 22, 01:24:

Hey Bryan;

Where do you work. Always looking to keep my options open, ya know? :lol:

Posted Wed Sep 22, 01:25:

oops; sorry about that everyone. didn't mean to post that twice. old cop, rookie forum guy :oops:

fixed - rpd931

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hey Bryan;

Where do you work. Always looking to keep my options open, ya know? :lol:
Target - you can apply online at http://www.target.com or drop a resume to me at [email protected] - no matter where you're at, I'll make sure you get in touch with the right person. When/if the time comes anyways ;)

I did watch NYPD Blue last night - though I've rarely watched it over the last few years. Pretty good episode.

Bryan

·
Registered
147 Posts
What about the F/T academy? are they trying to send more through the MPOC or are the are going to send someone to SSPO or hire people with degree and R/I academy. I ask because I was talking to a P/O from there one day who said the chief was sending him to an MPOC.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The guy who was supposed to go a couple of years ago, never did. Long story. MassBay will only look at academy trained applicants, i.e. (Full-Time Academy, SSPO Academy, R/I Academy-Associate's Degree, Possible Out of State Academy) Getting in anywhere nowadays without any academy seems slim to none.

·
Registered
99 Posts
MassBay does not currently have a third shift, due to the fact that is community college, and there isnt anybody there. In the near future (1-2 yrs) we hope to bring on additional personnel to accomplish that goal.
Hrmmmmmmm... I work at a community college and my department has a third shift. If MassBay does not have a third shift, it's more likely not due to the fact it's a community college. I would tend to believe, It's the latter in your statement where you wrote "there isnt anybody there."

But on the bright side...NO BOSSES! :Þ

·
Subscribing Member
288 Posts
Theres a few of the state community colleges who currently do not have the luxury of having adequate personnel to staff 24/7 . We happen to be one of them. Is it true there isnt anybody here at night, very much so. But, realistically there isnt a lot of law enforcement to be done on the mean streets of Wellesley at 2am on a tuesday nite., or perhaps our Framingham campus, or our Ashland campus for that matter. Correct me if Im wrong, but Im pretty sure Bunker Hill doesnt run a third shift either.

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
I don't work at BHCC, but I think you are wrong. Working at MGH, I do see those (BHCC) guys on occasion.... On the overnight shift

·
Subscribing Member
288 Posts
Not that this is the end all, be all, but the BHCC website does state they only patrol 7a-11pm mon-fri and during the day on sat/sun. They are still in this configuration so far as I know, and they have contracted security 24/7. Perhaps someone who actually works there could confirm this, as opposed to the rest of us with second hand info..

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.