Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.

I was curious if any departments have applied for MA Accreditation or certification this year seeing how it may be the last time. Also, does anybody work for a department that is already so.

Secondly, does any department have their SOP's, Rules and Regs, written directives etc online so I can reference them for ideas or know of a website that does so?

Thanks

·
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea we are doing the same then applying for accreditation next year pending we get certified. The website is useless to me though, I was looking for stuff and the SSgt said what I am looking for is on a password protected website :shock:

I personally think we are in pretty good shape

G

·
My department is a CALEA accredited agency, in a brand new,1.1 million dollar "State Of The Art" Police facility which is buried behind an elderly building and can't be seen from the street.
The only difference I can see between our old place and new place is we now have running hot water. Hand towels, soap and shit paper are still in short supply or practically non-existant. I use my own roll anyway. I can't stand that 100 grit sandpaper they give us anyway.
Being accredited from what I have seen means literally nothing other than the fact that we get to show off every 3 years or so in a dog & pony show.
It may be different at your places & I certainly hope it is but this is just my experience.
By the way, I am glad to be back in good standing and I will behave. Peace out!

·
Registered
74 Posts
HousingCop:

I bet somewhere in that accreditation policy and procedure manual is a policy on what kind of paper products you can use, water temperature, brand of air filters in the duct work and just about everything else you can imagine.

I haven't been too big of a fan of this whole program due to the associated costs and personnel movement that I have seen. I will say though, that it is nice to have written policies instead of a book of memos and directives that are written after an event or situation happened, just to make sure it does not happen again. However, within the next few years, I think you will see more and more lawsuits filed against officers when they do not follow the policies to a 'T', because an accredited department will be held to a higher standard. Of course, in our Commonwealth you can sneeze the wrong way and there are 10 people in line to sue you... but that is another story.

Just curious to hear anyone else's experience with the accreditation process.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I scanned quickly through the MPAC standards. Not surprinsgly, they look very similar, if not identical to the CALEA standards. I've been assigned to our Accredition Division for the past 2 months. We are going for our 2nd re-accreditation and the paper work is increasing with every re-accreditation process. If you're moving to accreditation, be prepared as it is very time consuming. Currently, we have 1 Lieutenant and 4 Patrolman assigned working on just Accreditation issues.

Yes, we have a policy for everything. That's the drawback. But, a lot of the policies are common sense. I don't think being Accredited would expose anyone to anymore liability. I think just the opposite. Accreditation gives an agency a little more credibility than the non-accreditated agency. And, we get a $250 bonus every year for being accredited.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,658 Posts
Yes
In addition, Certification & Accreditation helps you in Grant $$$ process. This is a positive thing. And Yes, you look better in the judicial system as well. Or.................Housing cop could be right as always and I'm just a goober who's jealous of his position and status amongst his peers.

·
Subscribing Member
4,316 Posts
Hey Housing Guard, the only reason you guys got accredited is because HUD was going to disband you unless you became accredited. I doubt you understand any of the 400 + policies, because you are a REAL COP, OLD SCHOOL TOUGH GUY, that smokes allot of WEED. You little CRACKHEAD.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.