Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am new to this site and interested (within the next century or so) in applying to the Massachusetts State Police. I've done a fair amount of research on them but was unable to find much about their retirement plan. I know in NH you can get out in 20 with some formula as to what your pension would be. Is this similar to how Mass does it?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
I am new to this site and interested (within the next century or so) in applying to the Massachusetts State Police.
The way the budget is going, I wouldn't bother "applying" to the MSP anytime in the next couple of decades.

·
Needs more complaints
4,309 Posts
Hi all,

I am new to this site and interested (within the next century or so) in applying to the Massachusetts State Police. I've done a fair amount of research on them but was unable to find much about their retirement plan. I know in NH you can get out in 20 with some formula as to what your pension would be. Is this similar to how Mass does it?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
22 y/o??? Go south/west/north/anywhere-but-here young man...

·
Czar of Cyncism and Satire
2,070 Posts
smart?...
How about taking the test first, then getting in line behind the 403's, veterans, and whoever else scores higher than you do?
Then try getting through the medical, background & physical before you actually step foot in the MSP Academy.
Go through their version of Paris Island without bouncing out, and then you MAY have earned the right to ask the question.
It's not as if they open the doors to just any 22 year old know-it-all who is thinking of just "applying" to them for their retirement package.
Paging Mr. Kass, Mr. Jack Kass. Phone call for Mr. Jack Kass.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Wow. The guy asked a simple question, and an intelligent one, at that. It makes sense to know the benefits of a job before you go through all the B.S. of trying to get on. There may have been better sources available than an on-line forum, but give him a break.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How about taking the test first, then getting in line behind the 403's, veterans, and whoever else scores higher than you do?
Then try getting through the medical, background & physical before you actually step foot in the MSP Academy.
Go through their version of Paris Island without bouncing out, and then you MAY have earned the right to ask the question.
It's not as if they open the doors to just any 22 year old know-it-all who is thinking of just "applying" to them for their retirement package.
Paging Mr. Kass, Mr. Jack Kass. Phone call for Mr. Jack Kass.
Know-it-all?? I don't see how I come off as a know-it-all. All I was asking is how their retirement system works. Thank you to those that responded levelheadedly. It is very common to inquire about retirement before pursuing a job, especially one that as you so clearly point out, is very difficult and takes many steps. That is why I wanted to get an idea of the job as a long term career beforehand, taking into account retirement. I never sugggested that I was just going to halfheartedly apply to the position for the hell of it or that all of my decision was being weighed on their retirement package. Thanks.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Pear1jarn, There currently is no retirement age on the MSP. Instead, you have to pass the bi-annual physical and strength/agility test. Even then, it's very difficult to wash out. If you choose to work 25 years, you get 75% of your salary. That being said, with the state budget in its current state, it doesn't look good for a class anytime soon. rhl

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.