Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BEVERLY, Mass. -- A 25-year-old soldier from Beverly has died after his truck hit a roadside bomb in Afghanistan.
Army Spc. Stephen Fortunato was killed Monday in Beverly's first wartime fatality since the Vietnam War. He was killed on his first day back on patrol after a 19-day leave in Massachusetts.
Fortunato was in the 26th Infantry Regiment and served as a gunner in back of a Humvee. He had served in Afghanistan since July.
Fortunato's mother, Elizabeth Crawford, told The Salem News her son was a brave soldier and had been eager to return to help his unit.
His wife, Sherri, said her husband was a caring person who loved his family and his pet python, Max.
Fortunato grew up in Beverly and graduated from the city's high school in 2002. He and his wife had been married since 2006.

http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/local/BO91723/

G

·
Rest In Peace. Thank You For Your Service To This Great Country And For Making The Ultimate Sacrifice !!!!!!!!!!!!! Hoorah.

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
When I read stories like this and I see the direction the country is turning, it's enough to break your heart.

Stephen Fortunato is a patriot and a hero.
He now is at peace, I pray his family can someday find it.

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Beverly Says Goodbye To Young Soldier

Stephen Fortunato, 25, was killed Oct. 14 by a roadside bomb in Afghanistan.
WBZ

BEVERLY (WBZ) ― Beverly is paying respects to a 25-year-old soldier who is the town's first service member killed in combat since the Vietnam War.

Army Spc. Stephen Fortunato died Oct. 13 when his truck hit a roadside bomb in Afghanistan, where he was serving as a gunner with the 26th Infantry Regiment.

Gov. Deval Patrick and Sen. John Kerry are expected to attend funeral services Friday morning at St. Mary Star of the Sea Roman Catholic Church.

On Thursday night, a wake was held at Beverly High School, where Fortunato graduated in 2002.

Members of the school's ROTC and athletics teams lined the sidewalk in a candlelight vigil.

They gave flowers to the soldier's wife Sherri and his mother, Elizabeth Crawford.

A horse-drawn caisson will carry Fortunato's coffin three miles to downtown Beverly for his funeral.

http://wbztv.com/local/Soldier.funeral.beverly.2.847847.html

·
Registered
61 Posts
i can't even collect my thoughts as what to write here. he was a good friend of mine and I only learned about his death after another friend called me when I lived in Seattle. I shouldn't have searched his name. The comments and his picture posted has put me into tje most depressing mood...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts