Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&e=4&u=/ap/20040910/ap_on_re_us/rigged_envelopes

BOSTON - Gov. Mitt Romney's office received a suspicious letter Friday similar to those received by five other governors a day earlier, which were rigged to ignite when opened.

The governor's office, which had been alerted by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, did not open the letter, bearing a return address from the same maximum security prison in Nevada that was the source of the other letters.

The letter was turned over to the State Police Hazardous Devices unit, which was investigating.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Okay, could someone tell me how an inmate at a maximum security prison could send out these letters? Isn't all outgoing and incomming mail screened. Of course, it could be someone outside sending the letters just putting the prisions return address but still.

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My bet is someone else did it and put the return address on the letters.

New headline (I kid you not)

Inmates probed as 15 governors get rigged letter
CARSON CITY, Nevada (AP) -- Federal and state investigators questioned Nevada prison inmates Friday after at least 15 governors received letters rigged to catch fire when the envelope was opened.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/09/10/rigged.envelope.ap/index.html

Okay, could someone tell me how an inmate at a maximum security prison could send out these letters? Isn't all outgoing and incomming mail screened. Of course, it could be someone outside sending the letters just putting the prisions return address but still.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Inmates probed!? I thought after that dust-up in the NYPD booking room involving the toilet plunger that people in charge of prisoners would be more circumspect! :shock:

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
"Whorton said there was nothing unusual-looking about the envelope. He said letters leaving Nevada prisons are not opened unless there is something out of the ordinary, such as a bulky envelope or an inadequate return address."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.