Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know anything about Mass General Hospital Police? Do they carry? Is it a good stepping stone position to get experience? Since it's in Boston, why wouldn't they carry? Just curious since I will be working there soon...at least for the mean time.

G

·
Yes a good steppin stone, No they dont carry, should they carry? probably but they dont and from what I know it's a good job and a great stepping stone. Good luck

·
Subscribing Member
383 Posts
It is a good department, awesome people to work with. Some of the job functions are a little "non-police type," i.e. opening doors, morgue releases, helping change drunks, etc. Lots of report writing too, depending on what shift you get. They do not carry firearms, just OC and handcuffs. But overall, you will find it to be a good stepping stone. I got some great experience there, and you will definitely learn how to talk to people. The department tends to have a revolving door (turn-over). If you want more info, send me a private message.

·
Subscribing Member
1,151 Posts
Micky

Great place to start on the law enforcement ladder. They have everything except guns :shock: which in Boston could be a major problem. I have been in alot of training with different officers from MGH Police so they do have a good training program to build your resume. Good Luck :!:

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
I have a a few friends that currently work for MGH and a few that used to as well. It is a good stepping stone, they do have alot of guys leave and go to other agencies. They also spend a good deal of money on technology and equipment, as well as training. Take a peek at the dispatch center that opened up a few years ago, it's pretty sweet. They send their guys to quite a bit of training as well. The only negative thing I hear is that Bonnie Michaelman, Director, is a bit tough to deal with. Of course she's an administrator, so that could be line staff being anti-administration as is common as well.

·
Registered
147 Posts
All depends on previous experience training and education. some start at 11 or 12 per hour and some could start at 14 or 15 per hour. Hope that answers your question.

·
MassCops Member
535 Posts
I worked a Mass General hospital before I became a full time Police officer out of state. Fellow workers are great to work with. It is definitely a stepping stone because working there gets old quick. A lot of customer relations type work. They will give you the reserve academy but they have a awkward schedule. When I worked there, they worked 4 days with 1 day off, the next week 4 days then 2 off. Overall, I enjoyed working at MGH.

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
Schedule changed a few years ago, If you work at MGH you get every other weekend off, 2 week rotating schedule (i.e. 4 on 1 off, 3 on 2 off). 6 weeks of earned time off per year. Lots of OT. Great bennies and perks. Good shift differential too for 4-12 and 12-8. Weekend differential too on top of the shift diff. MGH also gives all employees a pension which you begin to become vested after a year, pretty damn good too.

Yeah if you work days it's alot of customer service type stuff, like any Police Dept. on days. But we refer to it as Community Policing :lol: which is now used here. We also have about a dozen officers on the Bike Patrol unit. And we have also increased a few other programs since I've been here (3.5 yrs). Our staff levels have also increased, we have more Officers on per shift than most medium sized town PD's do.

·
Subscribing Member
530 Posts
From what I heard when I run into some of the MGH police Officer at BMC they all seem to like it. I got to take a tour of their dispatch center and it is high speed. I also agree that MGH police should be armed

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.