- will my age (28) hurt me?
*No. 28 is still considered young for getting into law enforcement
- Given the Civil Service exam history, how are are EPO exams announced? Is it based on needs to fill vacancies or list establishment? (same question for the hiring)
*The EPO exams are few and far between. They are not included on the municipal civil service exam. The last exam that was offered was in 2012. Historically the EPO exam is offered approximately every 5 years.
- if i were to intern, should i intern w/ a PD or w/ a conservation/forestry, or otherwise non official, but environmentally related company? Which would benefit me more?
*Personally I would recommend interning with a PD. The EP does perform typical law enforcement duties, so it would be advantageous for you to become familiarized with law enforcement operations. Since you are in western mass I would recommend doing the federal national park law enforcement class offered there. Once qualified this class would qualify you to work as a Seasonal Park Ranger in any of the national parks. There are many seasonal jobs on Cape Cod. It is a good gig and they work closely with EPO's. (Also the Rangers enforce federal law as well).
I would also look into the Seasonal Marine Patrol positions in NH. Another good gig to get started with.
- I dont see EPO's often in western mass, are there any departments out here?
*Short answer, Yes. The EPO's have officers all across the state. Just because you don't see them does not mean they are not there.
- what are the questions like on the test? Any examples? Should you concentrate on mgl laws or environmental laws?
*The questions on the test are heavily centered on environmental law. It is a difficult test, but having a background in environmental law will give you a very big leg up on the competition.
- What can i do for myself now that can improve my chances of success as i begin the process?
*Personally I would recommend to take the Seasonal Pak Ranger course at Umass Amherst. (some here would probably disagree with me on that but ohhh well)
If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me.