Mass DOC hiring and selection process | MassCops

Mass DOC hiring and selection process

Discussion in 'Corrections' started by Travis, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Travis

Travis New Member

IHello,

My name is Travis, I'm 29 and I currently live in Florida. I'm wanting to relocate and start with Mass DOC. I have six years of military experience (30% disability from VA), an Associate's degree in Criminal Justice, and just finished up my Bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice. I'll be working on a graduate certificate in forensic criminology at the University of Massachusetts-Lowell starting first thing next year.

I was just trying to get an idea of the likelihood and process of being hired by the Mass DOC. Pay and retirement look fantastic. I suppose I'm thinking the degree, military experience, and disabled veteran points on the civil service exam would make me competitive. I realize the DOC has been flooded with applicants during the recession, but now that the economy is starting to pick up (a little bit) I'm just not sure how sought after and competitive these CO positions with the state are.

It seems as though they offer the written CO test and conduct interviews one time a year, any idea how many they bring on-board at a time? Was also trying to get an idea of the quality of benefits (health ect) from Mass state jobs as well as if being out of state initially would negatively impact my application in some way (would prefer a job offer on the table before making the move) Any info on selection process and training would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Travis

2. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

Your disabled vet status (thank you for your service ) will put you at the top of list with the other disabled veterans. The degree will earn you a couple extra grand a year, but don't think it would factor into the hiring process.

The bennies and pay are good and close to other civil service jobs, eg: police,fire,state police and that means demand is still high in this large population, small state

Not sure how the state operates in terms of residency. Guessing you'd need to live here for at least a year to qualify ?

wwonka likes this.
  3. wwonka

wwonka MassCops Member

Good job with good bennies. Unfortunately they just have a test in March so you'll probably have to wait 2 years till the next one.

Since I Started 4 years ago they have hired close to 900-1000. I've heard no new hires till 2017 but we'll see.

You degree gets you extra pay but no points on test unless it's a promotion test.

pahapoika likes this.
  4. pahapoika

Wonk, what's the residency requirement ( if there is one ? )
    I know lots of guys working at Bridgewater, but living in RI

5. wwonka

wwonka MassCops Member

As far as I know there is none. I know guys that live in NH.

Just makes for a long commute.

pahapoika likes this.
  6. Travis

Travis New Member

"Unfortunately they just have a test in March so you'll probably have to wait 2 years till the next one. "

Thank you for the reply. I was under the impression they tested and hired yearly. I have to be honest, this is somewhat of a shock. I was starting to formulate a plan banking on testing in March with the possibility of the academy starting a few months later.

I guess a viable alternative until DOC opens up again could be a sheriff's office correctional officer gig (Suffolk County) Not sure if experience with FL DOC would help my application with Mass as I could hang out in Florida for another year until testing time.

Not to be off topic, but research on Suffolk County's Correctional Officer positions yielded very little in terms of starting pay, any idea what these positions are starting at? Are benefits and pension the same? Will time earned from a county sheriff job transfer to to a state DOC job in terms of counting for retirement purposes? I only ask because here in Florida we have the 'FRS' or Florida retirement system. Whether you work for the state or a county here, your covered by the same system.

Thanks so much guys,

-Travis

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  7. pahapoika

Your experience with the Florida DOC will definitely help with the sheriff's department here in Mass. since their job is almost exclusively.jailer.
    Suffolk county is pretty much comparable with the state pay and benefits. if you did decide to come work for the state you could bring your group 4 time over, but would lose your seniority and vacation pick.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  8. SouthShoreBrother

SouthShoreBrother MassCops Member

Suffolk will pay well but you will make less than the DOC, plus it will take longer to max out. Also the sheriffs departments can be political these days when it comes to promotions. DOC is civil service so its all test based.
    As far as the testing goes its usually every two years. Although they did give a test in 2014 and 2015, but I doubt that would happen again.