Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AP)- Martha Stewart was convicted Friday of obstructing justice and lying to the government about a superbly timed stock sale — a devastating verdict that probably means prison for the woman who epitomizes meticulous homemaking and gracious living. Stewart, 62, grimaced and her eyes widened slightly upon hearing the verdict, and she later released a statement maintaining her innocence and promising an appeal.

·
Out of the Loop
2,512 Posts
Such a damn shame. I really don't see why what she did was so wrong... ok, she broke the law, but why is insider trading against the law anyway? I mean, really! It's your money, you should be able to do what you want with it. If you have a connection that can tip you off, hook you up from time to time, why is that so wrong? It happens everyday in sorts of different situations in business.

It's also not so different than a lot of the hirings practices for police jobs in Massachusetts! :sb:

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I never liked the smarmy so-in-so anyway. What goes around, comes around.

It wasn't the insider trading( I agree with you, Officer Dunngeon) it was the fact that she lied about it! Not a big deal in my book, but I still stand by my first sentence...

·
Subscribing Member
383 Posts
Officer Dunngeon said:
I really don't see why what she did was so wrong... ok, she broke the law, but why is insider trading against the law anyway? I mean, really! It's your money, you should be able to do what you want with it. If you have a connection that can tip you off, hook you up from time to time, why is that so wrong?
The problem with this is...if you don't have that connection, and Person X tips off Person Y, and Person Y sells all 2 billion shares that they own, in effect plunging the stock price downwards (supply and demand). Now you, as John Q. Shareholder are screwed, and have lost all your money because your shares are worthless.

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
Exactly, insider trading laws and anti-trust laws are built to level the playing field in American business....AT&T had an unbreakable monopoly until a little-known outsider known as MCI sued them......

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
The world is a safer place now that Martha Stewart has been caught and convicted. LOL
I would rather see the ENRON pisses of shits go to prison but I dont see that happening since the little dirty politicians have their hands in the cookie jar. Ya I know one person went to prison already after the government made plea deals with 5 other dirty CEOs of the company to convict him.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.