Marine Corps says snipers posted with Nazi SS symbol in Afghanistan | MassCops

Marine Corps says snipers posted with Nazi SS symbol in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Military News' started by kwflatbed, Feb 10, 2012.

1. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

• [​IMG]
      AP
      This Sept. 2010 photo posted recently on the Titiusville, Florida-based arms manufacturer Knight's Armament's Internet blog, shows members of Charlie Company, 1st Reconnaissance Battalion, out of Camp Pendleton, Calif. in Sangin, Helmand province, Afghanistan.
    SAN DIEGO – The Marine Corps on Thursday once again did damage control after a photograph surfaced of a sniper team in Afghanistan posing in front of a flag with a logo resembling that of the notorious Nazi SS -- a special unit that murdered millions of Jews, gypsies and others.
    The Corps said in a statement that using the symbol was not acceptable, but the Marines in the photograph taken in September 2010 will not be disciplined because investigators determined it was a naive mistake.
    The Marines believed the SS symbol was meant to represent sniper scouts and never intended to be associated with a racist organization, said Maj. Gabrielle Chapin, a spokeswoman at Camp Pendleton, where the Marines were based.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/02/09/marine-corps-says-snipers-posted-with-nazi-ss-symbol-in-afghanistan/?test=latestnews#ixzz1lwvbFDYD

2. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

If you're going to do dumb things, don't take pictures/video of it.

Usa8235, zm88, topcop14 and 2 others like this.
  3. justanotherparatrooper

justanotherparatrooper Pissin' in liberals cheerio's for 40 years :) Staff Member

"THAT" was the nazi symbal? I doubt it , I think that was supposed to be for scout /sniper.
    The way the story read it sounded like they had the nazi flag on disply.fucking media sucks.

pahapoika and corsair like this.
  4. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

It's the symbol of the SS, which stood for "Schutz Staffel" (protection squad). They were associated with both the Waffen (armed) SS, which were elite military units, and also the Totenkopf (death's head) guard force, which guarded concentration camps.

5. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

The black uniform indicates the Allgemeine (general) SS, which were mostly politicians and muscle for Hitler's organizations. The Waffen-SS wore the same gray uniform as the Wermacht, just with different insignia.

6. justanotherparatrooper

justanotherparatrooper Pissin' in liberals cheerio's for 40 years :) Staff Member

I think its just coincidence and Im not being flip. If it was intentional then they deserve the shit theyre getting.

7. niteowl1970

niteowl1970 Moderator Staff Member

My Great Uncle Joseph Camposeo was captured by SS troops at the Battle Of The Bulge. He was beaten and forced to march for miles in the snow without boots on the way to the Stalag. He had problems with his feet until he died in 1992. This is disrespectful to him and everyone that served during WW2.

8. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Conversely, when I was at Reforger in the 80's, the German farmer who allowed us to set-up our encampment on his farm was a Waffen-SS paratrooper who was captured by Soviet troops in a sector later designated American. He was subjected to similar treatment by the Red Army, until he was turned over to American MP's. When he saw our field brassards, he got very emotional as he thanked "us" (MP's in general) for treating him humanely in defeat.

9. justanotherparatrooper

I believe and Im sure I'lll be corrected if wrong that the symbal is on the SS uniforms is not "ss" but a double lightening bolt.

10. CJIS

CJIS MassCops Member

While I have never seen a Nazi SS on a Blue background that appears in the pic (it is almost always on a Black background) the ones in question do appear to have a striking resemblance in appearance.

11. CJIS

CJIS MassCops Member

No it is a Armanen Sig Rune. It is supposed to have mystical properties. the Nazi were very into the occult and paranormal. One such thing was the pre Nazi Virl Society

12. 7costanza

7costanza Supporting Member

Even the swatsika was used by other cultures such as native Americans long before the Nazis,

GARDA and HistoryHound like this.
  13. HistoryHound

HistoryHound Supporting Member

Thanks 7. I was going to bring that up, but I just don't have it in me right now to do any research. It's one of the biggest problems with symbols. They can mean a thousand different things, but once they get associated with or corrupted by a certain group all their other meanings are lost. I don't know off hand what other meaning, if any, that double lightening bolt symbol has had through history and without knowing the thought process of those involved you can't really know what they intended it to mean. Maybe they were being stupid, maybe they just weren't thinking or maybe there is another meaning that is obvious to those who were there that isn't obvious to most. When I first saw it I thought what the heck is up with the ZZ Top thing. Yeah I know completely off the mark and has been noted as a moment of extreme stupidity on my part, I haven't been at my sharpest lately.

14. 7costanza

7costanza Supporting Member

This blanket is propably a national treasure..we need to burn it.

Attached Files:

15. Killjoy

Killjoy Zombie Hunter

While I think their intentions were probably good, it is not hard to see why some people, including some WWII vets or concentration camp survivors would be offended by this logo; while its not identical, its pretty damn close. I just wonder how WWII Marines would feel if some other US unit started flying the rising sun flag as their unit symbol.

[​IMG]

Usa8235 and Delta784 like this.
  16. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

Ho-Hum.....;)

GARDA likes this.
  17. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Looks pretty damn close to me.....any argument that they're "not identical" is pure semantics and word games.

Marines....you got photographed doing something stupid. Trash the SS flag, promise to not do it again, and move on.

18. Truck

Truck MassCops Member

These guys are over there getting shot, wounded and dying. I could care less who they piss on or what flag they have their picture taken with. It is the liberal media stirring up this crap and until they put the cameras down and pick up a rifle I say STFU.

GARDA and pahapoika like this.
  19. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

United States Marines trying to emulate the organization that helped to execute millions of innocent Jews is an absolute disgrace, I don't care how often they're getting shot at.

KozmoKramer, Killjoy and CJIS like this.
  20. CJIS

CJIS MassCops Member

Could not agree with you more

21. Truck

Truck MassCops Member

I doubt they were emulating the SS. I'm sure there is more to this than posing with the flag. No one can ever convince me that a group of Marines support the holocaust. They get the benefit of doubt every time in my book.
    How many times does some little thing a cop does get all blown out of proportion. This look like the same thing to me.

22. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Then maybe they shouldn't have posed for a picture with one of the most recognizable symbols of the Holocaust; every guard at every concentration camp wore that symbol on their uniform.

Common Sense 101.

23. Truck

Truck MassCops Member

Yep, I agree. Just glad when I was 18-21 in the Corps there was not a camera around every time I did something stupid. Common sense among 20 year old combat Marines (or 20 year olds in general) ain't that common.

24. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

As I've said before, I'm glad that video cameras were non-existent and regular cameras were scarce during my combat deployment.

25. BLUE BLOOD

BLUE BLOOD ...---...

The SS was the best of the best and the worst of the worst. They had the most fierce rep in combat, ruthless but outstanding soldiers. Their physical fitness standards, height weight, endurance etc. are only comparable and possibly surpass any present day special forces unit anywhere in the world. The Leibstandarte was the elite of the elite. U.S. troops who ultimatley kicked their ass, had a respect for their capabilities in battle. Not excusing the camps and killing of women and children, deplorable inhumane conduct of animals.
    I think the double entendre is obvious here, but no harm ment by the devil dogs, simply misguided esprit de corps and I think they have earned their pass on this one.

GARDA likes this.