Marine arrested for carrying Indiana-registered handgun in New York made 'honest mistake,' attorney | MassCops

Marine arrested for carrying Indiana-registered handgun in New York made 'honest mistake,' attorney

Discussion in 'Military News' started by kwflatbed, Jan 17, 2012.

1. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

Marine arrested for carrying Indiana-registered handgun in New York made 'honest mistake,' attorney says
    Published January 16, 2012
    | FoxNews

• [​IMG]
      Ryan Jerome
    A third-generation Marine arrested in New York City after trying to check his Indiana-registered handgun with security made an "honest mistake" and should not face prison time, his attorney said Monday.
    Ryan Jerome, a 28-year-old former private first class whose father and grandfather were Marines, faces three and a half years in prison after being arrested Sept. 27 for carrying a .45-caliber Ruger that was legally registered in his home state.
    Jerome, of West Bend, Ind., had approached security officers at the Empire State Building to check the weapon before he was taken into custody, according to his attorney, who said it was the man's first visit to New York City.

2. CJIS

CJIS MassCops Member

Something similar to this happened I think a month ago when a woman brought a gun into the WTC Memorial. She had a valid out of state ID and wanted to check the gun in at the front desk because there was a sign that said no possession of Firearms on the Premises.

This further promotes the need for a national recognition of other states LTCs

3. justanotherparatrooper

justanotherparatrooper Pissin' in liberals cheerio's for 40 years :) Staff Member

Reprocity BIll is in the Senat

4. justanotherparatrooper

justanotherparatrooper Pissin' in liberals cheerio's for 40 years :) Staff Member

I wish one of these cases was overturned on the full faith and credit clause or that there was a class action against these antigun states for violating individual Rights

Delta784 and corsair like this.
  5. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

While I agree there should be reciprocity with gun permits, you have to have lived your life in a cave if you haven't heard how anti-gun that New York City has been through the years. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if a cop carrying under the LEOSA gets locked-up; he'd be eventually vindicated, but at what cost?

MARINECOP likes this.
  6. justanotherparatrooper

Why I think it needs to be a class action thing that cost the city/state money and force them into not violating our right to have the means to defend ourselves.
    Ive heard stories of leo's getting jammed up for carrying there as well as NY residents that dont have a city permit.

7. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

I guess Bloomberg doesn't get the "political subdivision" part of the LEOSA exemption.

8. Herrdoktor

Herrdoktor MassCops Member

I don't carry concealed on my person in any state north of Delaware because I don't want to get hemmed up.

9. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

You'll have no problems in MA....they went over the LEOSA during standardized in-service a few years ago (including a pro-LEOSA opinion by AG Coakley), and they cover it in the academy now for the new people.

10. MARINECOP

MARINECOP MassCops Member

You are right Delta. I think anyone knows that NYC is in the top 3 in the nation for anti-gun laws. MayorGiuliani changed that state forever. California I believe is number one. I would be afraid to carry in NYC as a visiting LEO. I wish that Marine the best.

Delta784 likes this.